Fixing the Unfixable iMac Pro with Louis Rossmann!

It couldn’t end any other way than this. Louis Rossmann is here to FINALLY attempt a repair of our iMac Pro – But will it actually work?

Got an iMac of your own that needs fixing?
Buy an iMac opening wheel from iFixit: http://geni.us/lQFu
Buy iMac display adhesive strips from iFixit: http://geni.us/dA9uuc

Check out Louis Rossmann's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I don't particularly like Rossmann as a person, but I have watched plenty of his videos just to learn a little, pick up some of his nifty little tricks. They guy does know what he's doing, alright.

EDIT: I just started watching the video and I just gotta comment on it, even if I'm still at the beginning: it's pretty shitty, how Linus just begins to talk over Louis, and Louis's jabs/Apple-jokes are getting cut off by editing. That's really bothersome and seems quite disrespectful.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I think the title should be... Two Chucklefucks try to assemble an iMac Pro back together. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Pretty anticlimactic.

Louis wasn't really Louis and Linus was a bit too alpha.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Louis was awfully quiet. Not sure if it was just his mic or how he was the whole time, but it was hard to pick up a lot of what he said.

Reminds me a lot of Joe Rogan's role in this:

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/great-new-york-boobs-uncensored

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Louis was awfully quiet. Not sure if it was just his mic or how he was the whole time, but it was hard to pick up a lot of what he said.

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/great-new-york-boobs-uncensored

Maybe he's like that when he's working with people he's not used to on camera. Was like that during the WAN Show with GN, and Jayz and Linus's trip to his shop.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

You wouldn't have to go through all that if you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Nice series, but it only made me hate Apple even more. Wasn't sure if it could've been done, but I guess everything is possible:D

Can't help but notice the Rigol in the background. Perhaps some interesting project(s) in the pipeline ? Or is that just there to show off to Louis seeing he's got an older model :)

6 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Or is that just there to show off to Louis seeing he's got an older model :)

No way Linus would be that petty.

....what? He would? Oh, well then..

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

you should use a volt-meter and check the caps plz, if they are still charged apple is more BS than they could ever be, first year in electronics engineering and they teach people about "bleeding" resistors, that should discharge caps within 10mins MAX when unplugged so plz check it out for me (but be extra careful).

the shielding could stop EMI from the transformer except just protect people so IF they have such a resistor they should still have it.

you should also check if this thing really Fcc and ce compatible

Louis was being quite polite in the video and props to him. I was pretty disappointed with Linus' behaviour like, we want to watch a video on rebuilding the iMac Pro, not a running commentary on previous videos and a very lengthy rant. It's OK when it's like a minute or two, but 8 minutes in till getting to it, it's a bit of a yarn. It's fine to express your opinion, but it gets a bit old when you say the same thing over an over. To be honest I thought Louis was pretty patient. 

Did he say the system has a 500W power supply?

For a Xeon and a Vega 56/64?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I don't particularly like Rossmann as a person, but I have watched plenty of his videos just to learn a little, pick up some of his nifty little tricks. They guy does know what he's doing, alright.

EDIT: I just started watching the video and I just gotta comment on it, even if I'm still at the beginning: it's pretty shitty, how Linus just begins to talk over Louis, and Louis's jabs/Apple-jokes are getting cut off by editing. That's really bothersome and seems quite disrespectful.

If we're talking cut content it's mostly from Linus' side. I don't really understand your perspective. 

Part about PSU, lol :)

CPU collection: i7-6700K, 2x-i7-5960x, i7-3930K, i7-4770K, i7-3770K, i7-2600K, i7-980X  AMD PII X4 965 BE C2, x4 965 BE C3, X4 970 BE, x4 975 BE, x4 980 BE, X6 1090T BE, x6 1100T BE, FX-8120 95W, FX-8120 12W, FX-8150, FX-4300, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370E, FX-8370, FX-9370, FX-9590, A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-6800B, A10-6800K, A10-7700K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, Athlon x4 860K, Athlon 5150. RIIIE, RIVE, RVE, Maximus5Extreme, M6F, M6E, M7H, C4F, C4E, C5F, C5F-Z, Crossblade Ranger

To all those who said it can't be done

Spoiler

ligma

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

i really didn't like that video. the constant apple jokes were really annoying. 

i don't like most of LTT's video's these days but this one was particularly bad. 

She/Her

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Pretty anticlimactic.

Louis wasn't really Louis and Linus was a bit too alpha.

Louis is probably not used to this format, his videos are mostly him ranting over a motherboard or an article looking straight in the camera and barely having to interact with anyone. Also I guess Linus had more things to say on this particular topic considering all the drama over his imac.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, Sakis said:

you should use a volt-meter and check the caps plz, if they are still charged apple is more BS than they could ever be, first year in electronics engineering and they teach people about "bleeding" resistors, that should discharge caps within 10mins MAX when unplugged so plz check it out for me (but be extra careful).

the shielding could stop EMI from the transformer except just protect people so IF they have such a resistor they should still have it.

you should also check if this thing really Fcc and ce compatible

These days, modern switching power supplies no longer use plain bleeding resistors to discharge the primary capacitors, because they're trying to get the efficiency of the power supply as high as possible. Plain bleeding resistors can in some power supplies cause maybe something like 0.1% loss in efficiency because the capacitors are constantly discharged in the resistors.

So in modern power supply there's a special tiny chip which sits between the capacitors and the discharge resistors and monitors the mains voltage. When psu is turned off the chip enables itself and creates the connection between the primary capacitors and those resistors and the capacitors discharge. When the psu is turned on, this chip detects this and disconnects the bleeding resistors so there's no losses.

Modern power supplies also use mechanical relays to short circuit  resistors or varistors which are installed before primary capacitors to reduce inrush current. When primary capacitors are fully discharged and the power supply is turned on, the capacitors simply suck in a lot of energy at a high current rate, which can cause the fuses in your house panel to think there's a short circuit somewhere and trigger. By installing a resistor or varistor, the current is limited and the primary capacitors charge at a slower rate. So power supply turns on, the resistor or varistor limits current and capacitors charge quickly but at slower rate (instead of let's say 5 ms, they charge in 100ms) and 1-2 seconds later, a circuit in the power supply turns on a mechanical relay which shorts out that resistor or varistor, taking it out of the circuit so it's no longer heating up and cause efficiency losses.

So anyway, chances of getting zapped by charge in capacitors nowadays is fairly low, and most power supplies should be safe after around 10s or so after you remove the mains cable. Still it doesn't hurt to be careful, though you don't need to be paranoid about it.

-

Yeah, Louis was a bit "shy" ... maybe he wasn't used to all the fancy RED cameras and lots of lights (you can see he's blinking a lot in the video, maybe nervous reaction or just sensitivity to light). But he gets a pass from me, it's not his kind of content, he's more technical and doing repairs, this video was more or less an ikea video, a "let's assemble this", no repairs.

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

Given I've watched both LTT and Louis Rossmann for some years, their interaction and roles were about what I expected. Louis doesn't strike me as a particularly vocal person outside his own profession. Linus by comparison is very much into the show business. Neither were particularly well versed in assembling an iMac.

That "fan spin" bit was pretty great though. And at least the danger of the exposed PSU was covered.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Did he say the system has a 500W power supply?

For a Xeon and a Vega 56/64?

And what is wrong here?

46 minutes ago, mariushm said:

These days, modern switching power supplies no longer use plain bleeding resistors to discharge the primary capacitors, because they're trying to get the efficiency of the power supply as high as possible. Plain bleeding resistors can in some power supplies cause maybe something like 0.1% loss in efficiency because the capacitors are constantly discharged in the resistors.

So in modern power supply there's a special tiny chip which sits between the capacitors and the discharge resistors and monitors the mains voltage.

Happen to have part numbers for such a chip? I've never seen something like that before, and I fix a lot of SMPS from all kinds of fields.

52 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Modern power supplies also use mechanical relays to short circuit  resistors or varistors which are installed before primary capacitors to reduce inrush current. When primary capacitors are fully discharged and the power supply is turned on, the capacitors simply suck in a lot of energy at a high current rate, which can cause the fuses in your house panel to think there's a short circuit somewhere and trigger. By installing a resistor or varistor, the current is limited and the primary capacitors charge at a slower rate. So power supply turns on, the resistor or varistor limits current and capacitors charge quickly but at slower rate (instead of let's say 5 ms, they charge in 100ms) and 1-2 seconds later, a circuit in the power supply turns on a mechanical relay which shorts out that resistor or varistor, taking it out of the circuit so it's no longer heating up and cause efficiency losses.

Haven't seen a computer PSU using relays for ages now. I'd like to think a good PSU exploits the inertia provided by the APFC inductor to limit current peaks without resorting to clunky relays.

Petition for Linus to pay for Louis to go to Improv school?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…