Motherboard Standoffs, i don't understand

My remaining PC components are soon to arrive and this entire time I've been puzzled by how to install,what they do and etc (motherboard standoffs)

If anyone would be kind enough to waste their time helping me :D, i have not thing to give but for them to know they've helped someone.

Pictures, videos, detailed explanations and tutorials anything you can link or show me would help.

Dearest Gratitude,

Altruist

I may be wrong.

motherboard standoffs come with the case/chassis.

most of  them are pre-installed, but you might have to install them yourself.

why are they necessary?

due to manufacturing the case from metal, they allow the mobo to be installed, without grounding/shorting the circuitry to the motherboard tray.

Image result for motherboard standoffs

different versions  of standoffs

Motherboard screw into holes that exist in the case. The motherboard goes on top of them, then screws go in through the motherboard into the standoffs. your case will come with a few pre-installed, but here are a few things to look out for:

- make sure a standoffs isn't under the board where there's no screw hole. It could touch electrical traces.

- make sure you don't use a drill to screw in the motherboard

-if you bought a cheapo case, make sure the standoffs you need are fully in place. These ones might require a lot of coaxing to install.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Your components are made of metal but you can't let your components touch other metal. The motherboard stand offs are designed to sit just below the mounting holes of the board where there is a "safe zone" that metal may touch. If you don't use the stand offs, the motherboard will touch the metal of your case and cause your motherboard to short circuit the moment you turn it on, so do NOT forget to use them.

There are countless you tube videos and other online tutorials you can find with a simple google search, but it sounds to me like you've never assembled a machine before so the two BIGGEST things to remember... Use your motherboard mounts (do not over tighten them to the case or you'll strip them) and do NOT forget to apply thermal paste to your CPU before putting your cooler on it. A big thing to remember about thermal paste... A little is a lot. You only need a very small dab of it in the center of your CPU. Approximately 50% the size of your average pea (the vegetable). Once you apply the thermal paste and place your cooler, the pressure of your cooler will forcefully spread the thermal paste over your CPU. DO NOT FORGET TO USE IT or your CPU will over heat.

7 minutes ago, airdeano said:

motherboard standoffs come with the case/chassis.

most of  them are pre-installed, but you might have to install them yourself.

why are they necessary?

due to manufacturing the case from metal, they allow the mobo to be installed, without grounding/shorting the circuitry to the motherboard tray.

different versions  of standoffs

The image at the bottom of your reply shows the screw, is it coming from the bottom or was it inserted from the top

Sorry for sounding like an idoit everybody says they can short out the circuits on my mobo, so i don't want money down the drain :(

I may be wrong.

Open the case and lay it flat so you're looking down inside the case and insert the mounting screws inside. Make sure they line up with the mounting holes for your motherboard and you'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, Genesis_Uchiha said:

Your components are made of metal but you can't let your components touch other metal. The motherboard stand offs are designed to sit just below the mounting holes of the board where there is a "safe zone" that metal may touch. If you don't use the stand offs, the motherboard will touch the metal of your case and cause your motherboard to short circuit the moment you turn it on, so do NOT forget to use them.

There are countless you tube videos and other online tutorials you can find with a simple google search, but it sounds to me like you've never assembled a machine before so the two BIGGEST things to remember... Use your motherboard mounts (do not over tighten them to the case or you'll strip them) and do NOT forget to apply thermal paste to your CPU before putting your cooler on it. A big thing to remember about thermal paste... A little is a lot. You only need a very small dab of it in the center of your CPU. Approximately 50% the size of your average pea (the vegetable). Once you apply the thermal paste and place your cooler, the pressure of your cooler will forcefully spread the thermal paste over your CPU. DO NOT FORGET TO USE IT or your CPU will over heat.

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Motherboard screw into holes that exist in the case. The motherboard goes on top of them, then screws go in through the motherboard into the standoffs. your case will come with a few pre-installed, but here are a few things to look out for:

- make sure a standoffs isn't under the board where there's no screw hole. It could touch electrical traces.

- make sure you don't use a drill to screw in the motherboard

-if you bought a cheapo case, make sure the standoffs you need are fully in place. These ones might require a lot of coaxing to install.

Thanks both of you, you each explained alot (compared to what i know) and filled a void.

so i have a fractal design define c mini?

Do you think the standoffs will come pre-installed?

I may be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Altruist said:

The image at the bottom of your reply shows the screw, is it coming from the bottom or was it inserted from the top

Sorry for sounding like an idoit everybody says they can short out the circuits on my mobo, so i don't want money down the drain :(

thats a "blank", that center one doesnt need to be used to actually hold the motherboard to the chassis, so its just use to line up the board and keep the center from bowing in a little

tldr its support, not screwed down

It's possible, but don't count on it. If they're not, it's not a big deal. Remember, it's perfectly safe to lay your board in the case to check the alignments of your stand offs when no power is going to your motherboard, so just align your stand offs to your boards mounting holes and you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, campy said:

thats a "blank", that center one doesnt need to be used to actually hold the motherboard to the chassis, so its just use to line up the board and keep the center from bowing in a little

tldr its support, not screwed down

That explains alot, so the others will obvious look different?

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

That explains alot, so the others will obvious look different?

yeah, the blank one has a screw on one side, and then a round nub on the other side

yeah, the blank one has a screw on one side, and then a round nub on the other side

can you show me picture? if you don't mind

if not thats completely fine :)

I may be wrong.

Different cases have different designs of where they're mounting holes are but every case will ALWAYS have the mounting holes for every style of board compatible with your case specs. For example, if your case supports Mini-ITX, Micro ATX and ATX, your case will have mounts to support ALL three types, even if you're using a Mini-ITX board, you'll just have spare mounting spaces in the case you wont use as the Mini-ITX boards are much smaller than any other board.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

can you show me picture? if you don't mind

if not thats completely fine :)

Toennchen_IMGP5029_wp.jpg

1 minute ago, Genesis_Uchiha said:

Different cases have different designs of where they're mounting holes are but every case will ALWAYS have the mounting holes for every style of board compatible with your case specs. For example, if your case supports Mini-ITX, Micro ATX and ATX, your case will have mounts to support ALL three types, even if you're using a Mini-ITX board, you'll just have spare mounting spaces in the case you wont use as the Mini-ITX boards are much smaller than any other board.

Thank for replying to me again and again,

THe person that replied to me showed me a pic at the bottom of the post

do i install the stands from the rear ( where the cables will route) or the front?

I may be wrong.

Toennchen_IMGP5029_wp.jpg

Thanks, i'm going to try and find one that isnt a support?

so this is pre-installed?

I may be wrong.

The front. The cables hide behind the case to hide them and keep them out of the air flow path of your fans.

3 minutes ago, Genesis_Uchiha said:

my mobo only supports M-atx so i will have to install (if there aren't ) all of them right?

I may be wrong.

Thank for replying to me again and again,

THe person that replied to me showed me a pic at the bottom of the post

do i install the stands from the rear ( where the cables will route) or the front?

they thread in from the inside, not the back side

then you put the motherboard over them, and screw them down with the round screws that have flat edges

31cPHczXbGL._SX300_.jpg

Just because your motherboard is the Micro-ATX doesn't mean that's all your case supports. Chances are your case can support up to a normal ATX as well so if that's the case you'll have probably 3 stand off mounting holes in your case you wont use, but without knowing the exact board and exact case you're using, it's impossible to give you specific information.

Wait, I'm so dumb. ;-;

i install the standoffs into the case

then place the mobo on top

Then install the screws which go in the standoffs?

I may be wrong.

Yes, exactly. The stand offs go into the case, the motherboard sits on top of the stand offs, then the screws go through the holes of the motherboard to "mount" the board to the case so the motherboard doesn't move.

Wait, I'm so dumb. ;-;

i install the standoffs into the case

then place the mobo on top

Then install the screws which go in the standoffs?

ye

@campy

@Genesis_Uchiha

@airdeano

I'd like to thank you guys personally ;D

i understand, What they do, how to install them etc

and have filled a void :D

So thanks from the bottom of my heart and hope you go on to have a good day, or night

Which ever is Appropriate.

I'm going to close my browser and play my game so i won't get back to any more replies to day.

I may be wrong.