High ping in general and especially when someone upload things...

oferk99

My setup

Story

I'm gamer (playing Overwatch a lot recently), living in Redmond, Washington (State), USA.

I have problems with my Internet:

• If my mom uploading photos to the cloud my Ping goes up by 400ms, yes the game become unplayable and I need to tell her to stop.
  • In normal situation when playing Overwatch I have:
    - 50ms min.
    - 60-70ms on average.
    - 120ms max.
    But very oddly in my university (DigiPen, not a huge university, it's programming and art) I had around 30ms-40ms ping in Overwatch all the time, why my ping is so much higher?!

I will like to fix those problems with my Ping....

Is my router "low end" or something like that?

Is it bad cables that connected to my house?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to you reply :)

Are there any QoS settings is the router's config panel?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

30 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Are there any QoS settings is the router's config panel?

I will check later, unfortunately my parents are in area without cellular antenna and I don't know the password & username to access the settings...

it will take me max 3 days to access it...

QoS is really the only solution here and sadly I have my doubts the router will have it, or at least not in any useful fashion.  This is why I use pfSense, I allocate specific clients and ports to take priority over others which mitigates this problem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, oferk99 said:

Will QoS reduce my ping in general?

Yes, it will reduce the amount of impact to latency heavy bandwidth consumption has. This is because it, for instance, will artificially limit the amount of upload speed a single device can get, reserving some bandwidth so that you aren't clogging your internet pipe.

However, it will not improve your pings if you are the only person using the internet (on a single device).

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

15 minutes ago, oferk99 said:

Will QoS reduce my ping in general?

It doesn't fix your overall ping (that's on your ISP). It does, however fix ping spikes cause by people on your LAN using lots of bandwidth. It does this by prioritizing time-sensitive packets (such as your gaming packets) over non time-sensitive packets (like photo/video uploads). In your case this means that you should be able to hit 60-70ms ping all the time instead of only when no one is uploading.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1. Upload being maxed out will queue up packets. QoS is the only way.

2. The difference in ping between your house and university is your router. Routers tend to have a ton of cool hip features that tear through CPU, queuing up packets again. Enterprise hardware can do this at the hardware level with virtually no latency. 

So try turning off features on you router or just temp disabling firewall. If ping drops, buy a new router. But tbh 20ms ping is not worth that kind of money.

7 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

1. Upload being maxed out will queue up packets. QoS is the only way.

2. The difference in ping between your house and university is your router. Routers tend to have a ton of cool hip features that tear through CPU, queuing up packets again. Enterprise hardware can do this at the hardware level with virtually no latency. 

So try turning off features on you router or just temp disabling firewall. If ping drops, buy a new router. But tbh 20ms ping is not worth that kind of money.

mmm...

My father told me that they rent the modem for $10 a month, basically $120 a year.

I checked and the modem itself and it was release in 2014.

he was convince immediately to buy a new one, at around $100 - $200 budget.

If you have suggestion to which to modem to buy or tip in general when searching for modem I will like to hear from you...

I want to buy one as soon as possible to get better experience, I'm excited to finally solve this problem.

Thank you.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:19 PM, oferk99 said:

My setup

Story

I'm gamer (playing Overwatch a lot recently), living in Redmond, Washington (State), USA.

I have problems with my Internet:

• If my mom uploading photos to the cloud my Ping goes up by 400ms, yes the game become unplayable and I need to tell her to stop.
  • In normal situation when playing Overwatch I have:
    - 50ms min.
    - 60-70ms on average.
    - 120ms max.
    But very oddly in my university (DigiPen, not a huge university, it's programming and art) I had around 30ms-40ms ping in Overwatch all the time, why my ping is so much higher?!

I will like to fix those problems with my Ping....

Is my router "low end" or something like that?

Is it bad cables that connected to my house?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to you reply :)

Firstly You have a gateway, not a normal router. This is your first issue, you cant easily replace this box as it does your phone service too. I too am an Xfinity subscriber. I will tell you they have made it a pain in the dick to buy one of those gateways with the phone capabilities. There is like 1 retail model that I think its allowed, and I think you have to have it professional installed. 

Cable internet has higher latency, its just a fact of life, also you have low upload rates. In the upcoming months this should be fixed with Docsis 3.1 upgrades. Though that does not help you now. You currently best option is to see if they can put your gateway in to bridge mode. This make its in to a modem and then you can find a router will good QoS options. 

A second option you can do, is the software your mom uses to upload pictures, it might have settings to limit how much upload it uses. Its just a thought. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Firstly You have a gateway, not a normal router. This is your first issue, you cant easily replace this box as it does your phone service too. I too am an Xfinity subscriber. I will tell you they have made it a pain in the dick to buy one of those gateways with the phone capabilities. There is like 1 retail model that I think its allowed, and I think you have to have it professional installed. 

Cable internet has higher latency, its just a fact of life, also you have low upload rates. In the upcoming months this should be fixed with Docsis 3.1 upgrades. Though that does not help you now. You currently best option is to see if they can put your gateway in to bridge mode. This make its in to a modem and then you can find a router will good QoS options. 

A second option you can do, is the software your mom uses to upload pictures, it might have settings to limit how much upload it uses. Its just a thought. 

We not using the phone service.

We are using AT&T in our mobile phones and that's it.

:)

9 hours ago, oferk99 said:

We not using the phone service.

We are using AT&T in our mobile phones and that's it.

:)

Yeah but a new modem wont fix the upload rates. Comcast has been dragging its feet to fix those for years. Though if your interested in saving $120 a year on rental fees I would suggest the SB6183, CM600 or a Docsis 3.1 modem. Then buy yourself a good router with good QoS options. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just shaping upload to under what the maximum for your plan is should help a lot.

Unfortunately you can't really do that with the stock/default gateway.

I have to do a similar approach on my gigabit plan (1000/40), same behavior when someone syncs a phone to the cloud or similar when saturating upload.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C