Rogers throttling?

Realinity

So I past 2TB in download this month in usage at home. I'm not one to throw around thottling so I figured i'd reach out to a forum and see if anyone else has experiences what I have. 

Since I pased 1.5TB in download, my internet all of a suddent took a dump. Going to 700-900Mb/s down to 15Mb/s. 

Behavior:

Speedtest.net

Fast.com

both will show a spike up to 120Mb/s but eventually falls back down to 15-30Mb/s

If i see any speeds above 100Mb/s it dosent last long.

image.png.5f6cd623ac46c1e73ed0f9df7fcc2274.png

image.png.f6d2a2bb91ee51bae36ed031e0dc7519.png

Although the line shows an average over the time of the test, you can see when it spikes and eventually falls back down.

image.png.c627796aedd760cd5b92cb3303c99dac.png

Attempted speed test to various servers...

Troubleshooting steps:

Removed AP / switch

reset ISP gateway

changed ethernet cable on hardwires pc

ran Wireshark to see if anything abnormal was occuring... some ARP calls but not enough to cause a storm...

updated drivers

updated bios

put in NIC 10Gb/s Intel 

clean install windows

replaced Rogers gateway... only had refurbished ones in stock...

turned off all network devices, changes SSID's, removed IP reservations

even tested just wifi from clean reset of gatway wifi

removed coax splitter for cable box

I'm not sure what else to do to test this and diagnose my issue. I'm open to any ideas. 

Although rogers dosent "throttle" since its "ilegal" .... whos to say they dont anyways, how do you prove it?

Has anyone ran in to similar issues with Rogers after "above average" usage?

To add... no issues on the line after calling rogers, no packet loss, no noise... they are sending a tech but magically the only time they can send a tech is the day of my usage reset...

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Get a different isp, i like verizon

Rogers is a Canadian ISP

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Get a different isp, i like verizon

My options are

Rogers - Cable

Bell - DSL....

All other providrs of cable internet are using Rogers lines... 

Not to mention, not very insightful to my inquiry above...

File a complaint with the government. It could be a signal issue or over congestion, but from what I read, it really could be throttling. Does it happen on all traffic or just certain types of traffic? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

File a complaint with the government. It could be a signal issue or over congestion, but from what I read, it really could be throttling. Does it happen on all traffic or just certain types of traffic? 

Video streaming can barely buffer at 480p

Speed tests are TCP so with those frequent connections its hard to tell.

Game latency is fine, loading times on servers are slower than usual.

Just now, Realinity said:

Video streaming can barely buffer at 480p

Speed tests are TCP so with those frequent connections its hard to tell.

Game latency is fine, loading times on servers are slower than usual.

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Would a complaint actually gain any traction from what I've gathered? Is more data required to assist in any investigation?

Just now, Realinity said:

Would a complaint actually gain any traction from what I've gathered? Is more data required to assist in any investigation?

You complain, the government talks to Rodgers, Rodgers will then reassess their life. It may or may not gain traction, but I figure at the very least the Government will forward the complain to Rodgers. If there is one this businesses hate in this world, is when they have to have a talk with the government. Now if the government needs proof, I cant say, Im from the US, and I dont know how the law is written. 

I do know that when I filed a complaint to my states attorney general, the cunt of a business that pissed me the fuck off, stopped doing what they were doing. Which was double billing me for a medical bill I paid. Then after saying that they were going to fix the problem, they sent me to collections.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You complain, the government talks to Rodgers, Rodgers will then reassess their life. It may or may not gain traction, but I figure at the very least the Government will forward the complain to Rodgers. If there is one this businesses hate in this world, is when they have to have a talk with the government. Now if the government needs proof, I cant say, Im from the US, and I dont know how the law is written. 

I do know that when I filed a complaint to my states attorney general, the cunt of a business that pissed me the fuck off, stopped doing what they were doing. Which was double billing me for a medical bill I paid. Then after saying that they were going to fix the problem, they sent me to collections.

It would greatly help if more people ran in to similar situations. I have looked around but no complaints at this level of usage.

I can submit a request if needed but it will just be another complaint against the monopoly that is Canadian ISP's.

Guess it wouldnt hurt to go that route.

If its struggling to hit 480p then it suggests even more agressive throttling that the speed test is revealing, further suggesting they are picking and choosing which traffic to throttle and by how much.

One thing that might be worth trying is a free trial of a VPN, see what speed you get on speed test and if its decent then see if streaming is still a problem with the VPN active.  As while your ISP CAN throttle a VPN, they can't see what you are doing with it so it should eliminate any protocol specific throttling so that everything gets throttled equally.  It would at least provide further evidence of exactly what they are doing and prove its not a fault with your broadband or contention with other customers.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I've never encountered an ISP that would throttle, especially all kinds of traffic (including speedtest?), and I have used 4.5TB on my internet at home this month.  Although I'm over in western Canada, so I can't comment on Rogers. If your 'throttled' speeds are inconsistent, I bet that it's a line quality issue or a congestion issue. The congestion issue may be upstream, and not at the local CMTS (HFC node) which is why Rogers technical support is claiming that there are no issues. 

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply