Coffee Lake on Z170 with DDR3 Ram?

So im asking myself if this would work... 

I saw multiple videos on youtube where people put their i5 8600k on their old Z170 Motherboard with DDR4 Ram and it worked with zero Problems, so is this just a financial thing from intel or what?

Im myself running something in the moment that also should not work from intels perspective. Im runnning an i5 6600k on a Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR3 with 16Gb DDR3 Ram 1600MHz. And now i want to upgrade and just thought about Coffeelake and than realised how interesting this topic is. I mean, im running my skylake with ddr3 ram 1.5v since 2 Years and still have no problem even with oc on 4.5Ghz 1.3v on the CPU. 

Thoughts on this topic down below

Thx!

Ignoring the fact that running Coffee Lake on a 100 or 200 series chipset board requires a modded BIOS and you run the risk of killing everything, the memory controller is integrated into the CPU and iirc there is no support on Coffee Lake for DDR3. If you're willing to take a huge risk then you can try it but I wouldn't personally take that must of a risk.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Coffeelake won't work on anything over than 3xx chipsets.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Coffee Lake does not support DDR3 anymore, and running DDR3 with 1.5v on Skylake and Kabylake slowly kills the IMC, so if you want the CPU to last longer you will have to run them at 1.35v. Also to run the Coffee Lake motherboard mod on Z170 or Z270, you will need a pretty beefy motherboard since the VRM requirements for Coffee Lake is a lot higher than the last gen. The motherboard mod is also complicated since you need to edit the bios yourself or find one that works with your board.

• 7 months later...

maybe someone here wants to ask why gigabyte has a ddr3 coffeelake board -https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/H310M-DS2V-DDR3-rev-10#sp