Temperature sensor for logging temperature over wifi

Joveice

Hello, was wondering if there are some type of temperature sensors that I can log over the wifi? I wanted to start logging temperatures and have it all logged to a server using some type of API for it.

Is there something like this?

If not whats the best way to do this with a etc raspberry pi 3 without having to put the pi itself outside / with a cable thru a window.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

If it's not a pi out the window, it'll be something else that has sufficient resources to read a temperature sensor, interface with a wifi network, and handle all the overhead associated with transmitting the data over a network. 

You could put a second raspberry pi on the outside to handle this, or try to find a wifi module that will work with an arduino.  I think most wireless temperature sensors operate on a distinct bandwave allowing them to simply transmit an RF signal with the temperature data encoded into it.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

58 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

ESP8266, BME280, MQTT, Arduino

If you want i can publish the script.

I'm fine, I'm just looking for the options.

I currently use a DHT 22 with a raspberry pi and a simple python web server as an API.

Decided to go for a DS18B20 with a pi, if it doesn't work for my use it didn't cost me more than $8 including shipping.

Thanks for all your information!

it will work for sure but is a little overkill, you could run an ESP8266 on batteries for months with deep sleep and only sending data every few minutes so you wouldnt even need any cables there.

If you really want something that log temp. and also you want to scale it up you could go with LoRa. Long battery life, wide area of cover (depending on buildings and trees around you it can go as far as 45km ) and everything can be logged by a gateway and stored in a database sheet. 

LoRa can be used in may ways with many sensors or devices and is quite cheap.