Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

 

I just sold my Logitech G710+ becuase I realy coudln't get used to typing accurately with the macro bar on the left after 5 years. It just put me off and I never used the macro keys anyway. I also hated the gloss.

 

When I got the G710+ it was either that or the K70 so I figured I'd give the new K70 a go but I've just seen that they've changed the font to suit "gamers" better. I really dont like the font. I generally hate anything that looks like it's made for gamers so I dont know what to go for instead.

 

My requirements are:

Full size (with number pad)

Mechanical keyswitches - something tactile but completely silent would be great.

Dedicated media controls

Backlighting (not bothered about RGB, white will be fine)

Palm rest

Normal font

UK layout.

 

I mainly use it for typing, programming and sometimes I'll load the odd game. I did like the MX Browns from the G710+ but found the sound of bottoming out and the keys resetting made the keyboard just as loud as a blue without high pitched click. I was going to sacrifice the tactility for silence by going for the K70 LUX with Cherry MX Silent RGB but then I saw the font.

 

Has anyone heard of another keyboard that checks all the boxes that I could have a look at. Also, has anyone used the MX silent RGB? How silent is it really?

 

Thanks.

 

Smiley Sloth ¦)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

Hi,

 

I just sold my Logitech G710+ becuase I realy coudln't get used to typing accurately with the macro bar on the left after 5 years. It just put me off and I never used the macro keys anyway. I also hated the gloss.

 

When I got the G710+ it was either that or the K70 so I figured I'd give the new K70 a go but I've just seen that they've changed the font to suit "gamers" better. I really dont like the font. I generally hate anything that looks like it's made for gamers so I dont know what to go for instead.

Perhaps the 610?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Backlit-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B01CDYB8F6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532712721&sr=1-3&keywords=cherry+mx+brown

 

I have both the G710+ (home) and the K70 (work) I irinocally had the opposite problem, where after three years I had adjusted to the ESC key being the second in from the very left, so wehn I got the K70 I was hitting the F1 key. I took the F1 key off and now it's all good. 

 

I am also not a huge fan of the font they used, but the K70 is just a really nice keyboard everywhere else that I just went with it. (It didnt come with O-rings though like the 710+ did so I had to get some of those)


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823828018&cm_re=g.skill_km570-_-23-828-018-_-Product

Not really silent but I think its a good replacement. I have the same keyboard and its great for typing. I dont know your tastes but theres a good chance it looks like its made for gamers. Just check it out though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Perhaps the 610?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Backlit-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B01CDYB8F6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532712721&sr=1-3&keywords=cherry+mx+brown

 

I have both the G710+ (home) and the K70 (work) I irinocally had the opposite problem, where after three years I had adjusted to the ESC key being the second in from the very left, so wehn I got the K70 I was hitting the F1 key. I took the F1 key off and now it's all good. 

 

I am also not a huge fan of the font they used, but the K70 is just a really nice keyboard everywhere else that I just went with it. (It didnt come with O-rings though like the 710+ did so I had to get some of those)

Thanks for the suggestion. Only issue I see with the 610 is that it doesn't come with a palm rest. The K70 would literally be the perfect keyboard for me but that font....I just can't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Sound_Barrier said:

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823828018&cm_re=g.skill_km570-_-23-828-018-_-Product

Not really silent but I think its a good replacement. I have the same keyboard and its great for typing. I dont know your tastes but theres a good chance it looks like its made for gamers. Just check it out though.

Physically this keyboard isn't too bad. The only thing thats for gamers is the RGB which doesn't bother me. I can always just set the colour to white and forget that it has a rainbow within. This doesn't have dedicated media keys or a palm rest either though which is a deal breaker for me. Thanks anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, geo3 said:

 

Zilents are the only silent tactile switch know to exist. Cherry only makes silent linear switches.

 

You could buy a GMMK hotswapable keyboard and add the Zilents yourself.

 

 

That's really interesting. I didn't realise products like this existed. I don't like the look of the completed GMMK personally but I'll have a look at other DIY options. That switch looks really interesting tho so thanks for the reccomendation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

I don't like the look of the completed GMMK personally

A lot of that could be down to the key caps, which you don't have to get from them and can buy else where. 

 

6 hours ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

but I'll have a look at other DIY options.

Cool. Let me know if you need any help in that area. I've built multiple custom keyboards and am very familiar with that space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, geo3 said:

A lot of that could be down to the key caps, which you don't have to get from them and can buy else where. 

It's actually the shape of it and the lack of dedicated media keys and a palm rest (I know I can get this seperately but I like the "seamless" look).

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Cool. Let me know if you need any help in that area. I've built multiple custom keyboards and am very familiar with that space. 

Do you know of any DIY platforms that include dedicated media keys with a scroll/wheel volume and a palm rest? Everything I'm seeing looks the same to me. Also I'm finding it hard to find keycaps that have translucent letters.

 

Thanks for the help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

It's actually the shape of it and the lack of dedicated media keys and a palm rest (I know I can get this seperately but I like the "seamless" look).

Do you know of any DIY platforms that include dedicated media keys with a scroll/wheel volume and a palm rest? Everything I'm seeing looks the same to me. Also I'm finding it hard to find keycaps that have translucent letters.

 

Thanks for the help.

Before you jump down any rabbit holes, I should ask, how much you are willing to spend and what is your willingness/ability to DIY assemble (which may include soldering)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Before you jump down any rabbit holes, I should ask, how much you are willing to spend and what is your willingness/ability to DIY assemble (which may include soldering)?

I was just about to buy the K70 before I noticed the font so let's say £130ish. I dont mind paying a bit more if it means I'd get a considerably better product at the end. Also don't mind spending less too ;)

 

Willingness = very

Ability = moderate

Soldering = never soldered anything before but I think it's something I could do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

£130ish. I dont mind paying a bit more if it means

You would have to make a lot of sacrifices on your list if you want to get anywhere near that. Just a full size, backlit, iso layout, with the Zilent switches would easilly be over $200. Add media keys, a dial (super rare) and integrated palm rest, (also super rare and likely need to commission a custom case) And I could see it hitting over $500.

 

An alternate route you might consider is to buy a prebuilt with most of what you want and mod it.  Switch swapping is a common mod and well document and doesn't cost anything beyond buying the new switches and a soldering iron. Or if your board has SMD leds (ones that sit under the switch instead of going through it)and allows switch opening you could just swap the internals of the switch without the need to solder anything. 

 

Another is to go in the total opposite direction. Order a custom top plate from a company that does laser cutting(fairly cheep), fit it into an acrylic sandwich style case,  buy a $20 microcontroller, switches and keycaps and handwire the thing. This could get pretty close to your budget, but is VERY DIY and not something for beginners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 28/07/2018 at 6:51 PM, geo3 said:

You would have to make a lot of sacrifices on your list if you want to get anywhere near that. Just a full size, backlit, iso layout, with the Zilent switches would easilly be over $200. Add media keys, a dial (super rare) and integrated palm rest, (also super rare and likely need to commission a custom case) And I could see it hitting over $500.

 

An alternate route you might consider is to buy a prebuilt with most of what you want and mod it.  Switch swapping is a common mod and well document and doesn't cost anything beyond buying the new switches and a soldering iron. Or if your board has SMD leds (ones that sit under the switch instead of going through it)and allows switch opening you could just swap the internals of the switch without the need to solder anything. 

 

Another is to go in the total opposite direction. Order a custom top plate from a company that does laser cutting(fairly cheep), fit it into an acrylic sandwich style case,  buy a $20 microcontroller, switches and keycaps and handwire the thing. This could get pretty close to your budget, but is VERY DIY and not something for beginners. 

A pre build might be an option. I wouldn't mind browns again if that makes things easier. I guess all I really want is an alternative to the K70 which is surprisingly hard to find.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

It's not as easy as it used to be. Logitech is normally my go to but they seem to have gone a bit too far in the "gaming" direction. All their new keybards look so ugly now in my opinion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I think I'm just going to get the K70 and see if I can get some nice keycaps here in the UK. On paper the K70 ticks all the boxes it's just the font that bothers me and tbh if I have to sacrifice anything then the superficial has to be the first to go.

 

I don't suppose you've used the K70 browns? I know the 1st lot of K70's with the silver frame were regarded very highly and were a durable and long lasting keyboard. Have the new K70's kept this up or have they lost their way?

 

@geo3 thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

I think I'm just going to get the K70 and see if I can get some nice keycaps here in the UK. On paper the K70 ticks all the boxes it's just the font that bothers me and tbh if I have to sacrifice anything then the superficial has to be the first to go.

Try here:http://www.maxkeyboard.com/iso-layout-custom-backlight-cherry-mx-keycap-set-top-print.html

Corsairs have a nonstandard bottom row which makes finding keycap set for them somewhat challenging.  Maxkeyboard is one of the few that lets you customize the set so you should be able to buy a match from them.

 

1 hour ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

I don't suppose you've used the K70 browns? I know the 1st lot of K70's with the silver frame were regarded very highly and were a durable and long lasting keyboard. Have the new K70's kept this up or have they lost their way?

I've never used a K70, or a full size, or a keyboard populated with brown switches so I can't really speak to how they are.

 

1 hour ago, sMiLEy sLOth said:

 

@geo3 thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

Sure, no problem. If you couldn't tell I'm a bit of a keyboard nut and love talking about them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 30/07/2018 at 4:18 PM, geo3 said:

Try here:http://www.maxkeyboard.com/iso-layout-custom-backlight-cherry-mx-keycap-set-top-print.html

Corsairs have a nonstandard bottom row which makes finding keycap set for them somewhat challenging.  Maxkeyboard is one of the few that lets you customize the set so you should be able to buy a match from them.

 

I've never used a K70, or a full size, or a keyboard populated with brown switches so I can't really speak to how they are.

 

Sure, no problem. If you couldn't tell I'm a bit of a keyboard nut and love talking about them.

I ended up getting the K70 with browns. The keyboard feels very nice but yea those keycaps need to be changed lol. Thanks again for your help, even though I didn't really get anything you recommended, it helped me make my decision. I'll definitely be calling on you soon because I want to make a "gamepad" for when I'm drawing on my PC. Being a lefty makes it difficult hitting shortcuts while I work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×