2Gbps network with 400mbps router

oszkom
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 hour ago, oszkom said:

Speedtest and ftp transfer tests confirmed that 2gbps is available, but we could only use it if 2 of us use 1gbps separately, that's what i'm searching a fix for.

There is no such a fix, unless there's an SFP-port on the modem or the ISP gives you another one. You can't make a 2Gbps-port out of a 1Gbps-one, no matter how much you wish.

Hi, my friend recently upgraded their connection to the highest package available, which is 2gbps.

He's trying to get top speeds for his plex media server, but the problem is that the isp gave a 400mbps router with only 1gbps ports on it.

My question would be, how is it possible to get a 10gbps network output from that, since all the switches i've seen have lan ports as inputs, but their router only outputs 1gbps at most, as well as takes the isp's cable as input, which they specifically told us not to mess with and not to switch between devices, since they have it configured between their system and this specific router, so it wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks for the help

Are you sure it has a 2Gbps connection? Seems bizarre to offer a 2Gbps connection with a router that can do half of that maximum. 

Also, is he wanting to get those speeds locally from the Plex server or from outside the network? If it's locally, then the router is irrelevant (as is the internet speed). Get a 10Gbps switch and 10Gbps NICs and connect everything to the switch. Over LAN, none of the Plex traffic will go through the router anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seems bizarre to offer a 2Gbps connection with a router that can do half of that maximum. 

I can guarantee the ISP is not even going to give a router that can handle a gig. Modem yes, router no. 

GIG customers pretty much need their own routers and if they gave him 2 gig then hes going to have to get a prosumer 10gig edge router from ubiquity or Mikrotik

I'm very confused, can you send the link of the subscription he has from the ISP website?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, oszkom said:

Hi, my friend recently upgraded their connection to the highest package available, which is 2gbps.

He's trying to get top speeds for his plex media server, but the problem is that the isp gave a 400mbps router with only 1gbps ports on it.

My question would be, how is it possible to get a 10gbps network output from that, since all the switches i've seen have lan ports as inputs, but their router only outputs 1gbps at most, as well as takes the isp's cable as input, which they specifically told us not to mess with and not to switch between devices, since they have it configured between their system and this specific router, so it wouldn't work anyway.

None of this makes any sense. Why would the ISP sell a 2Gbps connection, but only give a 400Mbps-modem for it? Why would your friend want a 2Gbps-connection in the first place just for Plex? I feel like both of you have misunderstood something.

Post the manufacturer and the model of the modem, and we'll start from there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

but only give a 400Mbps-modem

Most routers can only route ~500mbps, only after features are turned off can they reach gig speeds. 

ISPs do have 2gig plans, we have 2 or 3 customers with a 2gig but the OP does not need that. Even with streaming or selling his service to stream, id be surprised if he could break a gig consistently. 

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

None of this makes any sense. Why would the ISP sell a 2Gbps connection, but only give a 400Mbps-modem for it? Why would your friend want a 2Gbps-connection in the first place just for Plex? I feel like both of you have misunderstood something.

Post the manufacturer and the model of the modem, and we'll start from there.

Need to know if this is exclusively a local Plex server or if he's accessing it from outside of the network too. 

If it's LAN only, the router and internet connection become irrelevant to Plex traffic. 

Feel like something here is being misunderstood, otherwise it doesn't make sense, as you said. 

4 hours ago, oszkom said:

Thanks for the help

Is this Comcast's 2Gbps Fiber Plan? If so, they dont give you a router, they have a media converter with 1x 1Gbps Ethernet port and 1x 10 Gbps SFP port. Everything else from that point on is on the customer to buy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It's hungarian telekom's 2gbps down and 500mbps up connection. Can't say the modem's model number because none of us are home, but i'm certain it doesn't output more than a gig from each port, and 450mbps wireless.

We will certainly use plex outside the network (like 10 people), and we'll also maintain a seedserver, with ftp transfers, so we will absolutely excersize the bandwidth available.

Speedtest and ftp transfer tests confirmed that 2gbps is available, but we could only use it if 2 of us use 1gbps separately, that's what i'm searching a fix for.

44 minutes ago, oszkom said:

but we could only use it if 2 of us use 1gbps separately, that's what i'm searching a fix for.

The fix is to buy a 10gig switch and plug it in the SFP port of the modem.

15 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The fix is to buy a 10gig switch and plug it in the SFP port of the modem.

No such thing sadly, they only gave an all in one router which as i previously stated doesnt have anything higher than 1gbps.

2 minutes ago, oszkom said:

No such thing sadly, they only gave an all in one router which as i previously stated doesnt have anything higher than 1gbps.

Well we need your model number. You are going to have to call them. If you pay for 2 its their responsibility to hit 2gbps out of the port. 

1 hour ago, oszkom said:

There is no such a fix, unless there's an SFP-port on the modem or the ISP gives you another one. You can't make a 2Gbps-port out of a 1Gbps-one, no matter how much you wish.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Okay their costumer support finally called us back after weeks of silence, ahd here's what they said: their router doesn't support anything above 1gbps, if we want 2gbps we have to buy our own modem that supports their optical cable input, and then buy a switch with 10gbps input and outputs.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Um....you can by just LAGing them together.

On 27/07/2018 at 8:36 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Um....you can by just LAGing them together.

IF the router supports it and still only 1Gbit per transfer with no guarantees it will evenly spread the load.

Is a single device on the network even going to handle the load in the first place?  It would make more sense to me to split Plex off onto its own device negating the problem in the first place.

Then there is the fact it sounds like most traffic is going to be outbound anyway which isn't being limited as its only a 500Mbit uplink package.

Also the fact they can do 1Gbit concurrently to two devices suggest the original statement of "the router can only do 400Mbit" as inaccurate, as it clearly CAN do 2Gbit.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 minutes ago, felix920506 said:

Its a Scam PERIOD.

Not at all, they already said they can do 1Gigbit to two clients simultaneously, which is as designed.

The whole point of a fast connection is not for a single connection to max it out, its meant to be so more individual clients get a better speed and are less likely to be in contention with each other, which it appears to do perfectly.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7