New Spectre attack enables secrets to be leaked over a network

ItsMitch

S: Ars Technica | White Paper

Do you LOVE spectre issues? Do you love Networking? Well I GOT THE THREAD FOR YOU! BUCKLE UP AND JOIN THE CLOWN FIESTA CALLED INTELLLLLLL SECURITY!!!

ok that's over, New issues have emerged with Spectre and networking according to Arstechnica citing a document which has been released to the public today. 

That impact is now a little larger. Researchers from Graz University of Technology, including one of the original Meltdown discoverers, Daniel Gruss, have described NetSpectre: a fully remote attack based on Spectre. With NetSpectre, an attacker can remotely read the memory of a victim system without running any code on that system.

All the variants of the Spectre attacks follow a common set of principles. Each processor has an architectural behavior (the documented behavior that describes how the instructions work and that programmers depend on to write their programs) and a microarchitectural behavior (the way an actual implementation of the architecture behaves). These can diverge in subtle ways. For example, architecturally, a program that loads a value from a particular address in memory will wait until the address is known before trying to perform the load. Micro Architecturally, however, the processor might try to speculatively guess at the address so that it can start loading the value from memory (which is slow) even before it's absolutely certain of which address it should use.

OK rough translation to english. Spectre can now be used against a network which you run on and it can be used to steal your data. Please note that this is a VERY VERY SLOW METHOD. 

Two variants of this attack

Two different remote measurements were developed.

1)

The first is a variation on the cache timing approach already demonstrated with Spectre. The attacker makes the remote system perform a large data transfer (in this case, a file download), which fills the processor's cache with useless data. The attacker then calls the leak gadget to will speculatively load (or not load) some value in the processor's cache, followed by the transmit gadget. If the speculative execution loaded the value then the transmit gadget will be fast; if it didn't, it'll be slow.

2)

The second measurement is novel and doesn't use the cache at all. Instead, it relies on the behavior of the AVX2 vector instruction set on Intel processors. The units that process AVX2 instructions are large and power hungry. Accordingly, the processor will power down those units when it hasn't run any AVX2 code for a millisecond or two, powering them up later when needed. There's also an intermediate half powered state. Brief uses of AVX2 will use this half powered state (at the cost of lower performance); the processor will only fully enable (or fully disable) the AVX2 units after extended periods of use (or non-use). This microarchitectural feature can be measured: if the AVX2 units are fully powered down, running an AVX2 instruction will take longer than if the units are fully powered up.

tl;dr Intel / AMD CPU's are mainly at risk at this time, according to the paper AMD isn't impacted by this

Main problems? Speed

These data rates are far too slow to extract any significant amount of data; even the fastest side channel (AVX2 over the local network) would take about 15 years to read 1MB of data. They might, however, be sufficient for highly targeted data extraction; a few hundred bits of an encryption key, for example. The cache side channel can be used to leak memory addresses, which in turn can be used to defeat the randomized memory addresses used by ASLR (address space layout randomization). Leaking a memory address to defeat ASLR took about two hours. With this memory address information, an attacker would be able to more easily attack otherother exploitable flaws of a remote system.

On the fastest speed they can pull, Variant 2 AVX2 they was able to pull 1MB per 15 years, but this is highly dependant on server. HOWEVER if they're looking for specific data, password files, encryption keys etc, they co

OK how can I defend against this?

The same countermeasures as are effective against Spectre—code changes that one way or another prevent speculative execution of sensitive code—are effective against NetSpectre. NetSpectre does, however, make the label "sensitive code" rather broader than it was before; there are now many more pathways and system components that might potentially be used to leak information. The slow transfer rates mean that the utility of NetSpectre is limited, but this underscores how the initial Spectre research was a launching point for a wide range of related attacks. We doubt this will be the last.

Update your software and firmware with all the latest Spectre patches 

If you wish to read through the full paper then you can. Link is in the Sources up top.

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME ON ANY ISSUES, THANK YOU

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

tl;dr Intel CPU's are mainly at risk at this time, according to the paper AMD isn't impacted by this

My poor little 8600K has shamed me and my family. Welcome to the family, soon-to-be Ryzen 1800X. ;) 

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

6 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Back up your software and firmware with all the latest Spectre patches 

how does a patch back up software and firmware

Just now, seoz said:

My poor little 8600K has shamed me and my family. Welcome to the family, soon-to-be Ryzen 1800X. ;) 

I'd hold those horses, this paper is a long un and I'm still reading through it.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

how does a patch back up software and firmware

7 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Update your software and firmware with all the latest Spectre patches 

not a clue what you're on about...... 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I'd hold those horses, this paper is a long un and I'm still reading through it.

Is "hold your horses" a pun because you're a Liquid fan? :thinking:

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

It is about time we get updates. It was one thing for me and my friends to handle Spectre separately but it is going to be way nicer to play over LAN.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I mean honestly it is about time there was multiplayer support

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Here's some questions for the class to answer as homework tonight:

• Is it a problem with AVX2 feature set?
  • Is it a problem with the concept of power gating certain aspects of the chip?
  • Is the process of poking the remote computer enough to trigger DoS warnings on firewalls?

This sucks for server/data centre guys and virtualization.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:
  • Is it a problem with AVX2 feature set?

Yes, very much so, All issues do seem to stem from the AVX2 feature set on Intel and AMD series CPUs. 

16 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:
  • Is the process of poking the remote computer enough to trigger DoS warnings on firewalls?

Yes, but an attacker can change his method of attack.

A trivial NetSpectre attack can easily be detected by a DDoS protection, as multiple thousand identical packets are sent from the same source. However, an attacker can choose any trade-off between packets per second and leaked bits per second. Thus, the speed at which bits are leaked can simply be reduced below the threshold that the DDoS monitoring can detect. This is true for any monitoring which tries to detect ongoing attacks, e.g., intrusion detection systems. Although the attack is theoretically not prevented, at some point the attack becomes infeasible, as the time required to leak a bit increases drastically

18 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The classroom will continue to investigate this further. 

40 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I mean honestly it is about time there was multiplayer support

I prefer the Spectre with Daniel Craig. These sequels are so much worse. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I prefer the Spectre with Daniel Craig. These sequels are so much worse. 

Agreed, I can't think of a single actor's name in this one

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

10 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

IGN -5/10 Needs more Meltdown...

jk xD 

No overblown drama.

The reading material may redeem this thread though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

42 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:
  •  

Class has returned to the room and the answer is:

Maybe? There wasn't any specifics referring to power gating nor limiting stuff like that to the chip. 

Ya know my few years old cpu is getting slower and slower it is nearly 60% of its original speed already since the start of this year

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Do you LOVE spectre issues?

YEAH! I love having my ass handed to me!

Spoiler

Might explain why I like Dark Souls and Nioh...

Do you love Networking?

There's a limit to how many times I can power cycle and swap cables. This isn't the thread for me. 

Well I GOT THE THREAD FOR YOU! BUCKLE UP AND JOIN THE CLOWN FIESTA CALLED INTELLLLLLL SECURITY!!!

"Clown Fiesta"? 

Image result for ford fiesta

#IntelInside

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

there's no performance loss if you don't patch your system

16803558.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

13 hours ago, aezakmi said:

there's no performance loss if you don't patch your system

16803558.jpg

You are letting hackers to hijack your data and PC because you refused to patch your system. This explain why Equifax and many other corporations don't patch their software at all resulting data breach. I rather sacrifice performance for security, but too much will be hell no. 

Intel is greedy for money with no intention fixing their architecture security flaws. How many **** performance we need to sacrifice to fix Intel architecture flaws?! 

AMD on my next build. Fook Intel. 

16 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

AMD is also affected by this vulnerability but Spectre n Meltdown patches can sometimes mitigate it

4 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

yeah I just went for Intel because it was cheaper in my country and I was so sick of the FX chips I didn't even bothered to read about ryzen when it was just released

4 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

You are letting hackers to hijack your data and PC because you refused to patch your system.

smh though hackers won't find anything useful here, my truly important files are safe somewhere else and I use a linux netbook for my uni projects and essays

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

smh though hackers won't find anything useful here, my truly important files are safe somewhere else and I use a linux netbook for my uni projects and essays

Only for you, but not for business computer or server computer.