Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, TechLoverboi said:

Just did this same issue 

Just now, TechLoverboi said:

Im praying for the issue to be of power supply and not anyother thing...

I'm quite positive it's not the CPU, or at least not only the CPU: it could be the motherboard or the PSU, but we can't exclude that a failure of one of these caused a failure of another component (like the CPU) too

I see this thing , when i remove it from 1-2 to 2-3 the same split second thing is happenening right when i remove it does that tell anything?

That is the clear CMOS jumper, you need to have the motherboard off and move the jumper to the 2-3 for 10 seconds, then move it back to the 1-2 and then turn it on. Do not turn on the motherboard with the jumper on 2-3!

I see this thing , when i remove it from 1-2 to 2-3 the same split second thing is happenening right when i remove it does that tell anything?

1532629726510-437656134.jpg

That is the clear CMOS jumper, the MB is just trying to turn on when you mess with it.  You are not usually supposed to change that with the power on.  Shouldnt break anything, but it can cause unpredictable behavior.

This is going to sound dumb, but make sure the Power Supply is turned on and plugged in firmly. I've tried to turn my PC on so many times and forgot that the PSU was off.

If your CPU cooler was mounted properly and functioning, it couldn't possibly overheat that badly at startup. You'd have to be living in some pretty extreme temperatures to get it that high. Even so, CPUs have built-in safeguards to turn off if overheating is detected.

From what you've described, I think something might have happened to your PSU, or the motherboard itself. There's no real way to test that theory unless you have spare parts.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me. If it was a broken CPU the motherboard would stay on, doing nothing, or just beep (I've had that issue already). Motherboards usually always stay on during a failure mode if it's not related to the power supply (or other power delivery issues on the motherboard) as most UEFI firmwares are not programmed to shutdown upon encountering a hardware fault.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Shadestones said:

This is going to sound dumb, but make sure the Power Supply is turned on and plugged in firmly. I've tried to turn my PC on so many times and forgot that the PSU was off.

If your CPU cooler was mounted properly and functioning, it couldn't possibly overheat that badly at startup. You'd have to be living in some pretty extreme temperatures to get it that high. Even so, CPUs have built-in safeguards to turn off if overheating is detected.

From what you've described, I think something might have happened to your PSU, or the motherboard itself. There's no real way to test that theory unless you have spare parts.

You can test the PSU by hotwiring it "on" with a paperclip.  Make sure everything else is disconnected though.  Just watch the PSU fan when you turn it on.

Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Does the PSU stay on if you jump the green wire to a black wire in the 24pin connector with everything else disconnected?

I bent this pin and put in pin 3 and 4 as shown in pic green and black (i hope im doing it right) while everything is disconnected and i dont see psu turn on at all. Also my casr if electrocuting ne bad ?

15326303182931263472792.jpg

100% bad PSU.  If the case is zapping you there is a missing ground in your wall outlet, this will lead to component damage.  Ususally just the PSU, but damage can happen to other things, and it may be why your GPU died.

Without that ground components can see low levels of the 120v or 220v mains power.

2 minutes ago, TechLoverboi said:

I bent this pin and put in pin 3 and 4 as shown in pic green and black (i hope im doing it right) while everything is disconnected and i dont see psu turn on at all. Also my casr if electrocuting ne bad ?

-snip-

Could be your PSU then... What brand is it and how long have you had it for? The hot weather's probably had it shot

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

If you are in a house/flat/etc with bad grounds, you can get a "ground bypass" plug and run its ground tab to a metal water pipe.  Or if on ground level, run a wire out the window and attach it to a bit of metal, then bury/stick that in the ground.

This wont fix the dead PSU though, just prevent future damage.

15 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

100% bad PSU.  If the case is zapping you there is a missing ground in your wall outlet, this will lead to component damage.  Ususally just the PSU, but damage can happen to other things, and it may be why your GPU died.

Without that ground components can see low levels of the 120v or 220v mains power.

Oh i really hope its just psu. And it used to zap me like since day one like its all on me i guess. But i didnt know anything about pcs. I got this system in 2010 i think then upgraded to this mobo and cpu 2014 i think. But this psu always did this to me. It used to.electrocute like my whole system. I remember removing my front IO USB thingy and it shot my pc. I had to completely remove it and then it was all ok.. now i found this.

One more question, i have FIIO E18 KUNLUN Dac and amp, u know its all metal it also used to electrocute me althouhh iy attached to pc via usb. Does thst mean Psu was a problem all along???

19 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Could be your PSU then... What brand is it and how long have you had it for? The hot weather's probably had it shot

I have Cooler master 600 W silent pro it silver standard i think that efficiency thing. I got it in 2010 

1 minute ago, TechLoverboi said:

Oh i really hope its just psu. And it used to zap me like since day one like its all on me i guess. But i didnt know anything about pcs. I got this system in 2010 i think then upgraded to this mobo and cpu 2014 i think. But this psu always did this to me. It used to.electrocute like my whole system. I remember removing my front IO USB thingy and it shot my pc. I had to completely remove it and then it was all ok.. now i found this.

One more question, i have FIIO E18 KUNLUN Dac and amp, u know its all metal it also used to electrocute me althouhh iy attached to pc via usb. Does thst mean Psu was a problem all along???

It is possible.  But the only time I have been zapped is when the plug in the wall had no ground.

2 minutes ago, TechLoverboi said:

Could be, being that USBs get power from the 5V rail, coming from the PSU directly

Just now, LionSpeck said:

Could be, being that USBs get power from the 5V rail, coming from the PSU directly

Its the ground/shield lines, not the 5v line.  100% sure of this, had the same issue and have re-wired a house to fix it.

14 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It is possible.  But the only time I have been zapped is when the plug in the wall had no ground.

14 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Could be, being that USBs get power from the 5v rail, coming from the PSU directly

Ok thank you guys so very much. U dont know how comforting it is to find caring and helping people like u guys. Karathkasun and all of u guys, Thanks a tonn. I hope to find replacement psu tomorrow. Hope its only psu. Amin.

Will definitely share results here.

3 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

What is a shield line? And how would USB devices get power if not from the 5V of the motherboard (coming pretty much untouched from the PSU)? o.O

The grounds and shield (metal case of connector) attach directly to earth ground in the PSU.  If the earth ground is not connected in the house, voltage transients cant bleed off and you will get ~120v @ 1-5mA on ANY ground in the system.

The shield also usually connects to any metal casing of perhipherials, so any metal device plugged in will also shock you.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

The grounds and shield (metal case of connector) attach directly to earth ground in the PSU.  If the earth ground is not connected in the house, voltage transients cant bleed off and you will get ~120v @ 1-5mA on ANY ground in the system.

Yes, I understand this, but the power rails of the USB (which has 2 data transfer pins and 2 power pins) work at 5V, right? And where do the USB connectors take this 5V power? I guess from the 5V rail of the 24 pin connector of the motherboard, which comes from the PSU. At least I'm pretty sure this information is correct

5 minutes ago, TechLoverboi said:

I have Cooler master 600 W silent pro it silver standard i think that efficiency thing. I got it in 2010 

Definitely replace that power supply. Given you're in a hot country, and most capacitors are rated 10,000 hours at best running at between 80C to 110C (which is about 1 year of non stop use) - the capacitors in your PSU are most likely almost dried out by now and aren't holding enough juice to get your computer going.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yes, I understand this, but the power rails of the USB (which has 2 data transfer pins and 2 power pins) work at 5V, right? And where do the USB connectors take this 5V power? I guess from the 5V rail of the 24 pin connector of the motherboard, which comes from the PSU. At least I'm pretty sure this information is correct

All of this aside from the grounded shielding of the USB connectors of the motherboard I/O, which I know being grounded indeed

It doesnt matter where it gets voltage from, if the GROUND is connected it will have 120v on it.  The ground acts like a voltage plane when it is designed to connect to earth and isnt.

15 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The shield also usually connects to any metal casing of perhipherials, so any metal device plugged in will also shock you.

You are so correct, because i remember anything metal directly attached to usb cable from system would electrocute me. Be it external hard disk casing, audio devices or case its self. Also i can confirm the front IO has two usbs and one SATA Nnamed connection when it was attached to mobo, even touching that usb would zap me. Alas, i didnt heed to this... ?

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It doesnt matter where it gets voltage from, if the GROUND is connected it will have 120v on it.  The ground acts like a voltage plane when it is designed to connect to earth and isnt.

Ok, now I see what you mean... I didn't think of that :P

Another option is to just get some wire and attach it to the case and run that to earth ground somewhere.  This will get around any faulty or out of date house wiring.

As before, metal water pipes or a piece of metal physically stuck into the dirt will work (as long as the dirt is somewhat moist for the latter).