Many Huawei devices blacklisted from downloading VLC off Google Play

D13H4RD

That isn't a fix. It's a workaround.

Also, they can't fix what Huawei put in. Only one who can fix it is Huawei themselves. Until then, you need to manually whitelist the app.

I should also mention that my Note8 has no issues with background playback.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

50 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it's rather funny to call a typo and make another.   :D

Totally intentional.  :P

15 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'll let loose on something funny. On the Huawei P20 Pro, the VLC listing is unavailable. But on an Honor 8 Pro and other Honor devices, it's still there.

It still available for my Mate 10.

Downloaded and run it for the lulz, if i set app management for VLC to auto it will stop music playback when the screen is off after 5-10 secs.
No problem if is manually allow the app to run in the background. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Downloaded and run it for the lulz, if i set app management for VLC to auto it will stop music playback when the screen is off after 5-10 secs.

No problem if is manually allow the app to run in the background. 

Yep, you have to set it manually.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yep, you have to set it manually.

I asked a forumer that using the same phone but running OpenKirin and he don't have such problem out of the box... so yeah i guess it's only EMUI related when u leave it on auto. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Meanwhile on iOS... Just saying

You forgot the huge downside: iOS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They took a piss on Richard Stallmann and what he wanted to archieve with Free Software...

And show one of the Problem of "Open Source" Sotware.

What? 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

You forgot the huge downside: iOS.

If it means lesser security concerns and an off button to telemetry then I'll take it. It serves me well. It would've been better if VLC supports the picture-in-picture API just like other video playback and streaming apps. https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/samplecode/AVFoundationPiPPlayer/Introduction/Intro.html

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I can understand VLCs decision. After owning Huawei Honor 8 Lite for 6 months the EMUI is one piece of something that whines about every single thing some other application tries to do.

-"Oh, there's Spotify consuming stuff on background, better close it because screenlock is on"

-"Spotify is downloading stuff on background, better close it to save infinite data plans data limits" (100Mbps infinite 20€/month and Huawei is conserned that I will run out of data)

-"Spotify is running behind Pokemon Go and the screenlock went on, better close them all to save battery"

-"You have manually disabled every notification, protection and limitation for Spotify, better give you a reminder every week about how Spotify consumes your phones resources"

-"You have disabled everything we offer through EMUI, better to notify you even still about same stuff so you know that..." *get's thrown against the wall*

And that is about every single app that you would probably want to run in the background. Facebook, Messenger, Spotify, Samsung Gear, Steam, SHealth, Spotify (if that wasn't clear), Z-Launcher and so on and so on, everything that has some reason to run in the background or run while screen is locked EMUI will whine until you manually go and stop it app by app from whining and then it will whine because you have told it to shut up.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

They should keep their mouths shut and try to fix it and not blame other partys for their shit.

But the other party is to blame...

Because that looks just incompetent.

Trust me, there is only one person here that looks incompetent, and it's not a VLC developer.

So they're saying "we were to dumb to get it to work, its not our fault, they did it!!"

No, VLC can not do anything to make the feature work on Huawei devices. VLC can not control if their process gets killed or not.

But that's also one of the reasons I hate the Open Source community. They just don't own their mistakes...

Ehm... What?

Why do you think this is VLC's mistake and why do you think this is something only the OS community does?

Its the same with some other Software that uses OpenGL and runs like shit on some devices. And what do the Developer do? Blame the Hardware manufacturer for THEIR mess! Why the hell would you use OpenGL in 2018 anyway?! 

And why the hell would you choose OpenGL on a Windows Only Application in the first place?!

How do you know it isn't actually the hardware manufacturer's mess to begin with? If the developers are following the standard, and the driver developers hasn't properly implemented the standards then what should the developer do? Should the one causing the issue be responsible to fix it, or should all other developers have to adapt to the manufacturer's issues?

I think the answer should be very clear.

As for why you might use OpenGL on a Windows only application to begin with, maybe there is part of the code that has been taken from somewhere else? Maybe developing a Windows-only program is not that developers main focus, and they don't want to learn DirectX for just that particular thing? There could be plenty of reasons.

And then you try to fix the shit. Even if you are not responsible for it, you are responsible for the software to work!

Yes, developers are responsible for the software to work, but in this case the responsibility is on the EMUI developers to make background playback work. It works on other devices, and it works in stock Android. Huawei made changes to the code which breaks other applications. It is therefore their responsibility to fix it.

If you break something, you should not expect all other developers to try and fix the mess you caused. Especially not when they can't fix the issue.

The problem is that EMUI has an aggressive power saving feature which kills background processes, even when they have flagged themselves for running in the background. There is nothing else the app developers can do.

54 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Are you an Android developer and can prove the claim?

You can't prove a negative like that.

In any case, even if Huawei DID have some special API for their devices, that would still make Huawei look bad. You don't mess with the standardized APIs and then roll your own ones to replace the functionality of the ones you ruined.

9 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If it means lesser security concerns and an off button to telemetry then I'll take it. It serves me well. It would've been better if VLC supports the picture-in-picture API just like other video playback and streaming apps. https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/samplecode/AVFoundationPiPPlayer/Introduction/Intro.html

What's this had anything to do with the topic?
Just because it happen with huawei doesn't mean it happen with other brand, Android is opensource.

2 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Just because it happen with huawei doesn't mean it happen with other brand, Android is opensource.

It was a response 

2 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Response for what?

Look at the quoted post and the quoted post before.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Look at the quoted post and the quoted post before.

I know what hes responding to

My point is what is he trying to prove?
This issue only happen with huawei products, so the fix is to get an iPhone?

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

I know what hes responding to

My point is what is he trying to prove?
This issue only happen with huawei products, so the fix is to get an iPhone?

"Just saying"

It was to show that at least on iOS, there's an option for VLC in the settings to tweak background playback. Probs the same on Android

Huawei is to blame.

They had gotten better but it's a recurring problem. They kinda fixed many of their issues during the Nougat/EMUI 5 era and subsequent updates but it's completely broken again with Oreo/EMUI8.

No matter what I do I can't get background playback to work.

I've set battery optimization to manual and locked the app in memory and it still stops either within a few seconds or randomly. It's awful. 

14 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Yeah i'm tired of the usual  pointless ''bUt iOS IS bEtTeR'' argument that seems to happen in about every Android news topic, even thought it's hauwei to blame and nothing to do with Android.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah i'm tired of the usual  pointless ''bUt iOS IS bEtTeR'' argument that seems to happen in about every Android news topic, even thought it's hauwei to blame and nothing to do with Android.

Except that never happened here?

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Huawei is to blame.

They had gotten better but it's a recurring problem. They kinda fixed many of their issues during the Nougat/EMUI 5 era and subsequent updates but it's completely broken again with Oreo/EMUI8.

I've set battery optimization to manual and locked the app in memory and it still stops either within a few seconds or randomly. It's awful. 

Well I'm not gonna buy any of their phones now if this is a issue for other apps outside of VLC

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Well I'm not gonna buy any of their phones now if this is a issue for other apps outside of VLC

It is.

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

"Just saying"

It was to show that at least on iOS, there's an option for VLC in the settings to tweak background playback. Probs the same on Android

Yes there is the same option, though not really the same layout menu.

Screenshot_20180726-214430.png.2425fa505e121cbe4e5ac96e35902c27.png

I'm guessing this option doesn't even matter with huawei devices since it will kill the apps when in lock mode?

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

I'm guessing this option doesn't even matter with huawei devices since it will kill the apps when in lock mode?

Doesn't really matter. The system detects a running background process and will kill it pretty soon.

I've had a Vivo phone kill Google Maps to save battery while I was using it in the foreground for GPS directions. Really annoying as heck.

11 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Huawei is to blame.

I used to have a Honor 8 with EMUI 5.1 and all the issues explained in this thread effected it but now with my Mate 10 Pro on the more recent EMUI version everything works well in the background, even Spotify. I have yet to receive a "this app is very power consuming" notification; it doesn't even give me a warning about the power sucking instagram and all per app battery settings are set to default.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Doesn't really matter. The system detects a running background process and will kill it pretty soon.

I've had a Vivo phone kill Google Maps to save battery while I was using it in the foreground for GPS directions. Really annoying as heck.

Vivo doing it too? holy shite