Should I update my BIOS?

Go to solution Solved by DudefromHamburg,

Hi PapaP,

having respect is a good thing, but dont be afraid. There was a time where flashing a bios was a pretty nerve wrecking experience, but nowadays with EZ Flash of some kind from every developer the risks are minimal. You can get the latest bios with a few clicks from official channels, most of the time with well documented How-Tos and sometimes even a windows flash tool.

Using CPU-Z for Identifying your bios Version should work. RUn it, switch to mainboard tab and locate bios version and date. If its 6 Month or newer, keep the current. If its 2yrs or so, get the new one.

Edit:

3 Mouseclicks later: https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-GAMING-PRO-CARBON

With youtube how to do it :). So basing on the date there, if you bios is 2017 or older, get the new. If its a 2018 version, only some finetuning was done. :)

I built my first gaming PC in early February and did lots of research so I would be fully prepared. One thing I was never really sure of was if I should update my BIOS. I'd heard bad things about updating the BIOS, as well bad things when not updating the BIOS. My motherboard is the MSI Gaming Motherboard b350 Pro Carbon ATX AM4. I was afraid if I did it I could possibly brick my motherboard and waste all that money I'd spent, but now that some time has passed I'm still wondering if it's safe to ignore it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not exactly sure where to check to find out my BIOS version either, in which I'm sure that is necessary to solve my problem, so that info would be appreciated as well xD.

1 minute ago, PapaP said:

I built my first gaming PC in early February and did lots of research so I would be fully prepared. One thing I was never really sure of was if I should update my BIOS. I'd heard bad things about updating the BIOS, as well bad things when not updating the BIOS. My motherboard is the MSI Gaming Motherboard b350 Pro Carbon ATX AM4. I was afraid if I did it I could possibly brick my motherboard and waste all that money I'd spent, but now that some time has passed I'm still wondering if it's safe to ignore it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not exactly sure where to check to find out my BIOS version either, in which I'm sure that is necessary to solve my problem, so that info would be appreciated as well xD.

You don have to update them, but it's just choice. I never updated mine cause I thought I would lose features. But I don't know, I think it's more stable now. Sorta

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump

Those replies were fast! I'll ignore it. Thanks you guys.

Hi PapaP,

having respect is a good thing, but dont be afraid. There was a time where flashing a bios was a pretty nerve wrecking experience, but nowadays with EZ Flash of some kind from every developer the risks are minimal. You can get the latest bios with a few clicks from official channels, most of the time with well documented How-Tos and sometimes even a windows flash tool.

Using CPU-Z for Identifying your bios Version should work. RUn it, switch to mainboard tab and locate bios version and date. If its 6 Month or newer, keep the current. If its 2yrs or so, get the new one.

Edit:

3 Mouseclicks later: https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-GAMING-PRO-CARBON

With youtube how to do it :). So basing on the date there, if you bios is 2017 or older, get the new. If its a 2018 version, only some finetuning was done. :)

I normally wouldn't bother with BIOS updates, however Intel has been issuing a fair few bug fixes in microcode lately and AMD's AGESA updates (which are available through BIOS updates only) offer better memory support and overclocking among other things. I updated the BIOS on my B350 Gaming ITX/ac because of this.

It's ultimately up to you. If your system isn't giving you issues, there's no real reason to do it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

17 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I normally wouldn't bother with BIOS updates, however Intel has been issuing a fair few bug fixes in microcode lately and AMD's AGESA updates (which are available through BIOS updates only) offer better memory support and overclocking among other things. I updated the BIOS on my B350 Gaming ITX/ac because of this.

It's ultimately up to you. If your system isn't giving you issues, there's no real reason to do it.

Thank you!