Buy now or wait till Black Friday?

cbranham26

I am going to build my first gaming PC ever ( at 30 years old ) but I was wondering what the best time to buy would be. I have a Microcenter about 30 minutes from me thankfully, and the build I want priced out at around 800 not including windows. Does anyone think there will be substantial enough discounts to wait until November? I don't seem memory prices dropping much lower, but perhaps GPU's will considering the imminent release of the 1180s. I am not in dire need of a replacement, but I don't know if I'll gain anything by waiting another 4 months.

4 minutes ago, cbranham26 said:

but perhaps GPU's will considering the imminent release of the 1180s

These won't be out any time soon. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

These won't be out any time soon. 

Rumours put them to be released during autumn. 

For your own budget you might aswell build a Ryzen 1600 system with an RX 580 or 1060 6GB.  Though if you need a monitor you will have to skimp on a few things

Do you need monitors to be included in that budget? Not to mention other peripherals?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Rumours put them to be released during autumn.

Can't see this happening, this is what I think...

January/February 2019: announcement of the architecture.

June/July 2019: First cards to be released onto the market.   

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That is also quite likely, but due to release cycles eith Mvidia and upcomming events the 1180 series is said to be announched in late august

5 minutes ago, LOOK OVER HERE said:

Nvidia and Intel will be having HUGE discounts on previous-generation products. Combine this with black friday and you have a steal. Just make sure that you avoid injury or this cost will be offset by your medical bills.

The only issue is the waiting time till blacl friday.

Also huge discounts are unlikey with how the 9000 series appear to be limed up

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

is said to be announched in late august

No, Nvidia has no reason to release anything more powerful yet until competition from AMD heats up which won't be for a long time. 

زندگی از چراغ

I'd wait until Black Friday if you're looking for the best deals. AMD generally has pretty solid pricing, on top of MicroCenter's already great discounts.

Just go into it with an open mind; don't look at your list and see if the items are on sale, go in looking for "a 500GB SSD (for example)", and find the one with the best discount.

5 minutes ago, LOOK OVER HERE said:

Nvidia and Intel will be having HUGE discounts on previous-generation products. Combine this with black friday and you have a steal. Just make sure that you avoid injury or this cost will be offset by your medical bills.

Really? Because I don't think that has happened any other time ;)

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I don't think they'll wait that long. Even with extra stock, the path JayZ2Cents outlined is much more accurate.

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

No, Nvidia has no reason to release anything more powerful yet until competition from AMD heats up which won't be for a long time. 

That's not entirely accurate either. Not really how business works.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's not entirely accurate either. Not really how business works.

But then they'd be releasing cards for fun...

Reality is that Pascal is still plenty powerful enough for most gamers. 

زندگی از چراغ

I'm in the camp that waiting for Black Friday is hardly worth while. Sure you might find that one deal for something you want, but in my experience, Black Friday tends to be when retailers dump a bunch of unsold stock. And even if a desired component goes on sale, it's usually not any cheaper than when it'd go on sale in the first place.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm in the camp that waiting for Black Friday is hardly worth while. Sure you might find that one deal for something you want, but in my experience, Black Friday tends to be when retailers dump a bunch of unsold stock. And even if a desired component goes on sale, it's usually not any cheaper than when it'd go on sale in the first place.

In countries other than The US it seems like more of gimmick than actual good deals

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

In countries other than The US it seems like more of gimmick than actual good deals

Even in the US, it's pretty much a gimmick. It's preying on people who think they're getting a good deal when most of the time it probably isn't or it's not any better than say a Back-to-school sale or Father's Day sale or Mother's Day sale or any other "we're using a holiday as an excuse to sell you crap" sale

15 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I think Nvidia is set on crushing AMD once and for all. Currently AMD still has cards that are competetive at their respected pricetier. 12nm pascal is all that is needed. Once a 1060 level card with 12nm is out, the polaris cards are uselss untill they are 12nm aswell (or 7nm ive kinda lost track of where polaris is going)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even in the US, it's pretty much a gimmick. It's preying on people who think they're getting a good deal when most of the time it probably isn't or it's not any better than say a Back-to-school sale or Father's Day sale or Mother's Day sale or any other "we're using a holiday as an excuse to sell you crap" sale

Using a price comparison site often reveal the truth of what companies are actually selling you. Thats why i allways have a few houndred mb of mobile data in case i see a deal in a shop

Thank you for the replies! I do not need a monitor, as I bought a used 24 inch Asus 144hz monitor for 125$, I am looking to go Intel, because frankly they have done a better job marketing their products. For comparison sake, I am rocking an AMD phenom XT1090T processor. I did just buy a 1060 3gb clearance for 199$ as far as the build I am looking for an I-8 8700 ( don't care about OC ) I only play Overwatch at the moment, so it might be overkill, but I also like to stream, and want to future proof myself.

Also for those wondering-my current processor and the 1060 along with 8 gb ddr is average about 110 FPS in overwatch on low settings. ( CPU is the bottleneck )

$125 for 144hz? Color me jealous, I'm still on the lookout for deals like that. As for future-proofing...I dunno, a heftier upgrade than a 1060 3GB might be worthwhile despite mostly playing Overwatch, even bumping up to 1070 would be helpful. But right now seems to be some of the best pricing in general for PC parts we've seen for a little while, now that the GPU market has relaxed and RAM is cooling off.

Speaking of cooling off, what are your cooling plans for that i7?

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?