Undervolting? How does it work?

Hey guys!

I just received my new Razer Blade 15, and was wondering how to undervolt this sexy beast to get better battery life? 

Does anyone have a guide or some steps I can follow? I haven't had anything done with undervolting, so I'm on very deep waters here :D

Thank you in advance! :D

download intel XTU (extreme tuning utility) and under the voltage you can dial it down from 'auto' to 0.005, and it'll go down in 0.005 increments. 

skip to 0.05, play some 4k 60fps youtube, maybe a game, if it remains stable after 15 minutes go down to 0.1, then try again. If it still works then keep doing the same but go down in 0.005 increments instead of 0.05. 

we start out at 0.05 and 0.1 because almost every CPU can go down to at least -0.100mv. anything more and it'll get dicey depending on your CPU and so 0.005. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

download intel XTU (extreme tuning utility) and under the voltage you can dial it down from 'auto' to 0.005, and it'll go down in 0.005 increments. 

So I would dial it down, and then test it with a benchmark? What would u recommend?

3 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

So I would dial it down, and then test it with a benchmark? What would u recommend?

test it out with some real world usage, or a benchmark I guess. prime95 works too but monitor your temps because it's prime95. 

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

skip to 0.05, play some 4k 60fps youtube, maybe a game, if it remains stable after 15 minutes go down to 0.1, then try again. If it still works then keep doing the same but go down in 0.005 increments instead of 0.05. 

we start out at 0.05 and 0.1 because almost every CPU can go down to at least -0.100mv. anything more and it'll get dicey depending on your CPU and so 0.005. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

29 minutes ago, themctipers said:

test it out with some real world usage, or a benchmark I guess. prime95 works too but monitor your temps because it's prime95. 

Thanks for helping man! Is it supposed to go BSOD or something when unstable? Is my goal to get as low as possible here or?

1 minute ago, Joey96 said:

Thanks for helping man! Is it supposed to go BSOD or something when unstable? Is my goal to get as low as possible here or?

yes, it's supposed to BSOD when unstable 

the goal is to get as low as possible with it remaining stable, less voltage = less wattage = more battery life because less wattage being used by CPU 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

yes, it's supposed to BSOD when unstable 

the goal is to get as low as possible with it remaining stable, less voltage = less wattage = more battery life because less wattage being used by CPU 

Alright ill start trying that, I've read that throttle stop i supposed to be better than XTU? Any opinions on that?

2 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Alright ill start trying that, I've read that throttle stop i supposed to be better than XTU? Any opinions on that?

XTU has a easier GUI to do things in and to learn

since you're figuring out how much can you undervolt, just use XTU to figure that out, then you can apply the undervolt in throttlestop

also yay 11k posts lol

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

XTU has a easier GUI to do things in and to learn

since you're figuring out how much can you undervolt, just use XTU to figure that out, then you can apply the undervolt in throttlestop

Yeah I did realize that when I first installed throttlestop.... and yet i still dont know where to apply the undervolting on it :7

Just now, Joey96 said:

Yeah I did realize that when I first installed throttlestop.... and yet i still dont know where to apply the undervolting on it :7

don't have my laptop with me right now so can't help you there other than use google lol 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

don't have my laptop with me right now so can't help you there other than use google lol 

its alright, you helped enough man :D