Gaming on Linux - With WENDELL from Level1Techs!

Windows collects so much user data these days! How can you get your game on while controlling how much privacy you give up? Linux to the rescue! Featuring Wendell from Level1Techs! - https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate

Learn more about gaming on Linux over at the Level1Techs blog: https://level1techs.com/article/gaming-linux

More Linux gaming resources:
Lutris: http://geni.us/OOU0Sa
DXVK: http://geni.us/gPuIBiB
Looking Glass Website: http://geni.us/YUT4E
Looking Glass Github: http://geni.us/ZEVU

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

list of good games on linux:

Bioshock Infinite

all the volvo games

and thats it lmao

AMD has much better open source drivers

( i have a 100$ mining 580 8gb)

I was just arguing with a buddy of mine earlier about Windows and Linux. I am perfectly happy with Linux on servers and stuff, but on the desktop I stand to gain nothing from switching to Linux. In fact, I would only stand to lose.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Nice to see Linux gaming improving. Hopefully by the time I have to give up Windows 7 I can go 100% Linux.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

11 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

i play csgo on my linux i5-8400 build

(its a mini ITX)

Yes

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hello, do you have a guide to get a linux machine woking properly with hybrid graphics(optimus)? 

my laptop => dell i7559

Windows and MacOS have Kernels as well. All Operating Systems do. 

when you buy optane for your mITX linux build and then you realize optane does not support linux...

37 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I was just arguing with a buddy of mine earlier about Windows and Linux. I am perfectly happy with Linux on servers and stuff, but on the desktop I stand to gain nothing from switching to Linux. In fact, I would only stand to lose.

If you call privacy loosing then ok.....

the only 3 games I play aren't on Linux

fallout 4

the division

league of legends

FML

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

"The experience off camera was not as perfect and smooth as we made it out to be"

Of course it wasn't. Linux is still not ready for the desktop.

Would this work on an Alienware Laptop?

Honestly, the only reason I don't use linux atm, is because I can't play 90% of my gaming library.  But if I could setup a VM with my current windows image, and run that inside a linux distro, then I'm all over this idea.

My biggest issue is, I'm coming into this blind.  I had assumed it was impossible, and just gave up.  Is this something that can be done?  If so, where do I start looking for information on how?

39 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

You're not gaining privacy by running Windows in a VM, so that's a pointless argument.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'm building my first Linux pc next month. Is the Ubuntu used in the episode better for gaming than Linux Mint 19 ?

2 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

If it connects to the internet, it's being tracked. Actually, even if it doesn't connect to the internet, it's being tracked, so better close all your bank accounts, cancel your insurance, and disappear into the woods so the IRS can't come after you for not paying taxes, because paying taxes has a side effect of - you guessed it - being tracked! 9_9

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kedstar99 said:

In general, nice try and good choice in explaining kvm gpu passthrough and things like that. However, you shouldn't be encouraging people to using unsafe and franken builds.

Looking at how others are reacting on r/linux_gaming and r/linux, I think Wendall didn't really do much of a good service in showing pre-alpha and franken builds rather than perhaps focussing on what can be achieved on default Linux which itself is impressive. I kind of agree, and presenting this view of Linux of requiring alpha software is a bit disingenuous.

I think the way this evolved, we kind of went more for a "what can we do now" than "what can we do easily". I do feel like a follow-up to address those issues may be a good idea, particularly if the video does well in the long term. Kind of a "here's what you CAN do, but if you just want to get your feet wet, here's how to get the basics" type of thing. This video already ran long, though, so it really was a choice of one or the other.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

2 hours ago, a1548727 said:

I'm building my first Linux pc next month. Is the Ubuntu used in the episode better for gaming than Linux Mint 19 ?

all linux distros should be fine, i like ubuntu myself.

Woah, this came just a few days after I've started setting up PCI passthrough for gaming. strange coincidence

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

you guessed it - being tracked! 

There's being tracked, an then there's being sold out.

Windows 10: Never in this house. Have you *read* the EULA?

5 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

list of good games on linux:

Bioshock Infinite

all the volvo games

and thats it lmao

You're funny.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

There's being tracked, an then there's being sold out.

Windows 10: Never in this house. Have you *read* the EULA?

Yup, it's about the same as the EULA for doing a single Google Search, connecting to a single website even if all you do is load the home page, or getting a bank account. Even if the service claims they won't sell your data there's still the clause about a complete lack of liability and/or warranty for the use of the service, up to and including a data breach.

Now, I'm not saying we should throw privacy out the window of course, but the reality is that as soon as you have use literally any 3rd party service you must assume control over your data is gone, unless the system is open source so you can actually pull the data out yourself. But even then, there's no guarantee it hasn't already been copied elsewhere so we've got to be OK with this, at least until someone develops a method of providing data to 3rd parties where the user maintains full control over the data.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You're not gaining privacy by running Windows in a VM, so that's a pointless argument.

Who said anything about running windows in a VM? You're post didn't..... Also even if you did run windows in a VM purely for games you're still gaining privacy.

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

If it connects to the internet, it's being tracked. Actually, even if it doesn't connect to the internet, it's being tracked, so better close all your bank accounts, cancel your insurance, and disappear into the woods so the IRS can't come after you for not paying taxes, because paying taxes has a side effect of - you guessed it - being tracked! 9_9

No shit..... You're point being? Some privacy is better than none!