Fanless heatsink i5-8400

Go to solution Solved by tp95112,

Possibly, but you'd still want to have at least one fan in the system to move air out of the case or around

Hello, i bought Scythe Ninja 5 for my Fractal Design Define Mini C. Is it okay if i use fanless heatsink to cool my i5 8400 using the heatsink from the Scythe Ninja 5? No ram clearance issues but with the fans on, the fans will covered up my RAM, just for aesthetic. Any recommendation like more powerfull fans etc? Thank You.

Current set up:

- 2x Phanteks PH-140TS in front as intake
-2x Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12, 1 top and 1 back as outtake
-1x Kaze Flex 120mm at the top as outtake.

-RAM: 8gb Hyperx Fury DDR4
-MOBO: B360M Bazooka
-GPU: Asus Strix Gtx1070ti

Possibly, but you'd still want to have at least one fan in the system to move air out of the case or around

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 10:14 PM, haikalfarish said:

Hello, i bought Scythe Ninja 5 for my Fractal Design Define Mini C. Is it okay if i use fanless heatsink to cool my i5 8400 using the heatsink from the Scythe Ninja 5? No ram clearance issues but with the fans on, the fans will covered up my RAM, just for aesthetic. Any recommendation like more powerfull fans etc? Thank You.

Current set up:

- 2x Phanteks PH-140TS in front as intake
-2x Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12, 1 top and 1 back as outtake
-1x Kaze Flex 120mm at the top as outtake.

-RAM: 8gb Hyperx Fury DDR4
-MOBO: B360M Bazooka
-GPU: Asus Strix Gtx1070ti

Try undervolting to reduce voltage, hopefully then heat to :D

I may be wrong.

Don't use a cooler with fan to cool without fan, it will lose its performance.

You might overheated the CPU..

Don't prioritize aesthetics over performance. Performance is should be the top priority over aesthetics, your should get performance over aesthetics or get both performance+aesthetic at the same time, dont trade performance for aesthetics! You put so much money on components so you don't want to kill them or shorten their lifespan by burning one of your component only for RAM aesthetic. It's just ridiculous..

The better fanless heatsink you might want to check for your solution is Thermalright Macho Zero, but if you can't get that one, get Le Grand Macho RT instead so you can take off the fan to work passively like Macho Zero. Despite the size which is huge, and even with the fan on, Le Grand Macho RT won't block any single of your RAM, and the height is only 159mm if the height might or not be your problem.

http://thermalright.com/product/macho-zero/

http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/56/le-grand-macho-rt

7986_25_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.jpg.ac4ff28b966634015cc72c2cdbb2ca1f.jpg

7986_24_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.jpg.3dbceb943bace1d52678899fafeed003.jpg

This is the Le Grand Macho RT

If you doubt the El Macho performance check this out!

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7986/thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

On an overclocked i7-6700K

7986_28_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.png.41fe063097e023d570b457261d5524fb.png

Le Grand Macho RT will allow you to get full performance of CPU cooling and the aesthetics of your RAM at the same time..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: