Any caveats with PC to TV?

Ergroilnin

So,

I am planning on eventually buying a TV (at least 55 inch, though that does not really matter as far as I know) at 4k, HDR would be welcomed but I certainly won't need it for my normal use, that I am NOT going to watch any channels on (I do not even pay for cable or sattelite TV, in fact, I haven't for years lol) and I 99.9% won't be buying a blu-rays to watch.

The TV would basically be my "big monitor" for watching movies I borrow from online sources, for my own videos and for streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll etc.

Are there actually any caveats that I am not possibly thinking about for this kind of usage for PC2TV? The TV would need at least 10 meter long cable going from my GPU too.

Lol borrow from online services. xD

PC to TV is not as annoying as it used to be, just pay attention to scaling and resolution. Keep an eye out for TV's with 'pc mode' too. Can help with weird sizing issues(display going off the edge)

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

TVs have significabtly longer response times than monitors and they may also suffer from lower refreshrates. 

Im not shure how they are with tearing

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Im not shure how they are with tearing

Vsync works just like it would with a regular computer-display.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

TVs have significabtly longer response times than monitors

@GoldenLag is right here; this is probably the bigger issue, if one is planning to game on a TV. It all depends on what sort of a panel the TV uses (OLED, VA, IPS, whatnot) Many TVs do offer a gaming-mode, which is supposed to reduce lag, but there's no good way of saying which TVs have low latencies and which ones don't without reading proper reviews, and how much or how little e.g. a 30ms latency bothers you is, well, a totally personal thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Oh I totally knew I forgot about mentioning something important at the opening post. I am NOT planning on playing on the TV at all.

It will be meant purely for media consumption. And even if I do game on it sometime, I am NOT playing actions games on it, only RPGs and RTS. For action gaming, I would 100% of time use my 144hz monitor.

The thing I have sitting in my mind is that since using PC2TV is basically TV acting as a monitor, I suppose it does impose a serious load on GPU, does it not?

If you're not gaming on the TV, then the latency is a non-issue. I'd even say as long as you're not playing a competitive online game, the latency is still a very minor issue at worst. 

The only potential issue I see is the 10m cable run. 90% of the time you won't see an issue, but if there's a weak signal or you're using a particularly cheap cable, you might see some signal issues at 4k 60hz. I definitely wouldn't recommend more than 15m at a maximum, and DisplayPort is not possible at these lengths at all (this is rare to have on a TV anyway).

Note I'm not saying to use a really expensive cable here. I'm just saying some really, really cheap cables might have issues. Think the stuff you order in bulk from knockoff manufacturers on amazon or ebay. 

30 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

The only potential issue I see is the 10m cable run. 90% of the time you won't see an issue, but if there's a weak signal or you're using a particularly cheap cable, you might see some signal issues at 4k 60hz. I definitely wouldn't recommend more than 15m at a maximum, and DisplayPort is not possible at these lengths at all (this is rare to have

If I do not mind paying for active repeaters, is there any problem with cable length?

Chances are it'll be fine. Try it out first and only buy the repeater if you find out it's necessary.

1 hour ago, Ergroilnin said:

So,

I am planning on eventually buying a TV (at least 55 inch, though that does not really matter as far as I know) at 4k, HDR would be welcomed but I certainly won't need it for my normal use, that I am NOT going to watch any channels on (I do not even pay for cable or sattelite TV, in fact, I haven't for years lol) and I 99.9% won't be buying a blu-rays to watch.

The TV would basically be my "big monitor" for watching movies I borrow from online sources, for my own videos and for streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll etc.

Are there actually any caveats that I am not possibly thinking about for this kind of usage for PC2TV? The TV would need at least 10 meter long cable going from my GPU too.

TLDR: For media consumption, outisde of games, a TV would actually be a better choice over a monitor, so the answer to your question is 'no'. A 10m regular cable ( so not a super cheap POS) will be fine.

Let me correct a few things that people have posted for you.

Response time is in regards to Pixel transition. How fast a pixel can change color.

Input lag, is exactly what it sounds like, the latency time between the input signal, and it being displayed on the screen.

'Most' TV's are VA LCD, these tend to have a slower Pixel response compared to other LCD panel types but have their own merits beyond that. Reviews that specifical test for this are the only real way your going to find out how good or bad the pixel resposne of a TV is as manufactuers dont use a unified testing methodology, so any respons time specs listed are rather meaningless. A slow response time (pixel response) will result in ghosting.

Input lag is not listed on Tv specs at all. Review sites have to specificaly test this themselves. Rtings.com for example tests input lag. Since your not going to game on it, i wouldnt worry about it, however TV's outside of game mode presets tend to have significant input lag, though there are alot more TVs now with good 'game modes' that reduce input lag to levels that are perfectly playable like 25ms or less.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So, thanks for all the info guys.

Since noone mentioned anything about GPU or overall system load, am I to take it that as long as it is pure movie watching or streaming, it basically does not matter what GPU I use?