Troubleshooting for a msi z97 gaming 7 motherboard

Hi everyone, 

I don't know if something similar has already been posted but i'm having a issue with a z97 gaming 7 motherboard that i bought. 

It gets stuck on debug code 71 which the manual says it's late south bridge initialization. Also this motherboard bas two bios so i tried switching but it gives code 99 which is console output input devices initialization. 

So i'm basically stuck with my troubleshooting and since is my first time building i really dont know what to do. 

My build has:

Z97 gaming 7 motherboard

Intel core i5 4460 cpu

Kingston ddr3 2x8 1600mhz ram

Asus gtx 750 gpu

I tried posting just with ram and cpu, and i also tried cpu only but obviously it gives even another debug code. 

I also tried changing psu cables but i know for sure everything worked because it was already built and i just changed the motherboard. 

I hope someone can help me. 

Marco

Screenshot_2018-07-20-09-32-05-366_com.ebay.mobile.png

Someone else figured out his problem was RAM related, so you might want to find some other DDR3 RAM to test with.

Update*

I unplugged everything in my system and started testing with the motherboard and processor alone. Then I slowly added and plugged in more and more devices until I finally discovered that one of my RAM modules is not working. That was causing this whole issue :) 

So now my system is working great! Cheers :)

Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2374994/debug-code-screen-turn.html

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Someone else figured out his problem was RAM related, so you might want to find some other DDR3 RAM to test with.

Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2374994/debug-code-screen-turn.html

Ok i'll try that when i get home but the fact is that as i said i only changed mobo and ram was working. I guess i'll also try different slots then. 

Is it possible that a short either on the mobo or the psu burned one of my modules? 

14 minutes ago, Skifatterking said:

Ok i'll try that when i get home but the fact is that as i said i only changed mobo and ram was working. I guess i'll also try different slots then. 

Is it possible that a short either on the mobo or the psu burned one of my modules? 

Memory can die from even holding it in your hands due to static discharge, in theory, so anything could happen. Could even be some incompatibility factor at play here.

Also, according to the manual, you need to use slots 2 and 4 when using 2 sticks of memory, not 1 and 3 like you have in the picture. I'd try that first. When using 1 stick, I'm assuming slot 2 needs to be populated first as well.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Memory can die from even holding it in your hands due to static discharge, in theory, so anything could happen. Could even be some incompatibility factor at play here.

Also, according to the manual, you need to use slots 2 and 4 when using 2 sticks of memory, not 1 and 3 like you have in the picture. I'd try that first. When using 1 stick, I'm assuming slot 2 needs to be populated first as well.

Ok thanks again, I'll let you know if I have any further problems or questions 

After trying for many days i'm still here troubleshooting this motherboard, so basically i tried everything, only cpu, different ram in every single slot (even one module at the time), no graphics card. basically the debug codes are random, sometimes it gets stuck on 71, sometimes on b2, sometimes it gets to 99 it turns on the screen but gives me a "dxe"error of some sorts. One time i also got into the bios but i din't have a usb flash drive ready to update the bios and so i turned it off and never managed to get it back to post. I'm pretty sure both of the bios are just broken so basically i've been trying for 4 days to get to post and haven't been succesfully. Does anyone have any idea? If the bios is bricked can i get the mobo to work again? Someone spoke to me about reballing and i checked on the internet what it was and i really don't feel safe in doing that. Any idea? (sorry for some errors in writing but i'm not english and so i just hope in writing well)