What was your first language?

Dugbuzz

I was just wondering what your guys' first programming language was. I am looking to sink some time into learning a language, and figured I could make a decision based on what I heard. Feel free to share more, or give me some advice.

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

English.
(I know you meant coding language.)

Ahaha, fixed. Thank you.

My first language at school was Basic, but because I didn't like it my professor allowed me to use C instead, :)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

Started with Python when I was really young, but the first language I formally learnt was Visual Basic 6. From there I did JavaScript (own time), Java (own time), Racket, C, C++ and now am looking to branch into Go :) 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Started with Python, then did a bunch of Shell Scripting(does that even count?) stuff, and am now trying to grasp C++. I've always wanted to learn 'brainfuck' because its so crazy looking but have no real world use case other than epeen growth..

"Hello World!" in bf:

++++++++[>++++[>++>+++>+++>+<<<<-]>+>+>->>+[<]<-]>>.>---.+++++++..+++.>>.<-.<.+++.------.--------.>>+.>++.

Python then I started doing a crap ton of batch ( win ) and bash ( linux ), later I learned html, css , javascript and then i started to grasp c, c++, c#.

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

I started on html and then moved to php and started making browser text based games. After school I went to college i was taught visual basic, then I moved to Scotland and started on c#, got into college and that's what I used on amd off right up until I left uni. After uni I learned python and started selling python scripts over forums, I then was offered an interview for a nodejs job, spent a week learning node and rewrote my Twitter bot in node to show off in the interview.

Got a code test and was offered a job, now I am rewriting a financial CRM with some thing being deployed to aws fargate and other parts being in lambda.

The best advice I can give it find the area you want to go into, data science/ ai, games, websites etc and then learn the languages that are mostly widely used.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Started with QBasic in elementary school because of programming competitions, quit soon because finding any good learning materials was near impossible, switched to visual basic and also quit soon, some time after I started learning Python and didn't quit.

C# in college. and the a little bit of almost everything else.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

HTML, PHP in college (which I was rubbish at and have never touched since). Then taught myself batch, VBScript and more recently Powershell. I think you can see that I only script.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

35 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

HTML, PHP in college (which I was rubbish at and have never touched since). Then taught myself batch, VBScript and more recently Powershell. I think you can see that I only script.

Do you work in information security field?

5 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Do you work in information security field?

No, education.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

First computer I got my hands on has BASIC so that was first. I tried self learning assembler on it without any progress, but I was about 10 years old at the time! Then there was a bit of a gap and later I self taught myself C, although only to a moderate level where I can use pointers to do some silly things.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

QBasic or Turbo Pascal, I can't remember anymore. However, I haven't touched Basic for almost two decades now, so I liked Pascal a lot more and I still do.

Write in C.

C

Mines a weird one, I first got into programming because I wanted to make mods for GMod, so, my first language was actually GMod Lua, then learnt a bit of html/css/js cuz why not, learnt python a bit at some point, then since I wanna get into game development I learned a bit of C# and I absolutely love it, planning on learning some C++ and Java tho. All self-taught so far.

"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

9 hours ago, JustMATT said:

Mines a weird one, I first got into programming because I wanted to make mods for GMod, so, my first language was actually GMod Lua, then learnt a bit of html/css/js cuz why not, learnt python a bit at some point, then since I wanna get into game development I learned a bit of C# and I absolutely love it, planning on learning some C++ and Java tho. All self-taught so far.

Same actually, I was making stuff for DarkRP with GLua but it just got old so I started to learn HTML/CSS and am now looking into other languages.

2 hours ago, Dugbuzz said:

Same actually, I was making stuff for DarkRP with GLua but it just got old so I started to learn HTML/CSS and am now looking into other languages.

Seriously tho, DarkRP was the shit before all the kids got enough money for their own servers and killed off the game mode

"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

12 hours ago, JustMATT said:

Seriously tho, DarkRP was the shit before all the kids got enough money for their own servers and killed off the game mode

Yea it was a great time.

First language was Java, settled in C# and TypeScript, now learning Clojure, will maybe try my hand at Haskell.
Not a fan of Java.

CPU: Intel i5-2400Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LXMemory: 16GB 1333MHz Crucial BallistixGPU: GIGABYTE WINDFORCE GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 (1085 MHz/1150 MHz) | Storage: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD + Western Digital 3.5-Inch 2TB HDDPSU: Diablotek PHD650 650W
Neumont University | Bachelors of Science in Computer Science | In Progress