GTX 1050TI or GTX 1060

ThatRandomGuy908

So I am thinking of upgrading my Nvida Geforce GT 730 to either a GTX 1050TI or a GTX 1060? Which one would be better? I plan to do a lot of 1080P gaming and I really just want a solid frame rate. My current PC specs are below

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
    AMD FX 8310 8 core processer 3.40GHz
    Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-30)

Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P FX (CPU 1)

Graphics
    LC-32LB481U (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (EVGA)

Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA)

PSU

Ultra 650W ATX Power Supply 

the 1060 is a much better card, and I would suggest it, I think the only reason I would go with a 1050ti would be cost or maybe space? But for 1080p gaming the 1050 would actually struggle in some games, while the 1060 can hold it's own much better, and will last for a few years IMO

EDIT didn't look too close at the CPU, but I'd still go with the 1060, and focus on upgrading CPU, ( or everything) next, depending on budget

1060 if you can afford it, it's obviously the much better option, the performance difference between the 1050 Ti and 1060 is massive.

1050 Ti generally can do 1080p but wouldn't be powerful enough for games like Overwatch or Rocket League compared to the 1060 which would easily play games at 1080p for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Which 1060?

The 3GB model or the 6GB model

The 3GB is 10% slower than the 1060 6GB

If you cant get the 1060 6GB id advice against getting the 3GB 1060. You should rather get a rx 580 4GB if you cant get the 1060 6GB

15 minutes ago, seoz said:

wouldn't be powerful enough for games like Overwatch or Rocket League compared to the 1060

Well you chose some bad examples there, rocket league plays great on my gt 1030 (GDDR5) @1080 with almost maxed settings, overwatch is easy to run on with a gtx 1050 non ti I hear.

2 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

Well you chose some bad examples there, rocket league plays great on my gt 1030 (GDDR5) @1080 with almost maxed settings, overwatch is easy to run on with a gtx 1050 non ti I hear.

It may be easy, but have you considered the GPU usage and temperatures when strained for games? My GTX 1060 3GB only ever reaches 55°C while playing Rocket League and can hold 230FPS+ on maxed settings, it's a walk in the park for GPU usage. I'm confident things would change had it been a 1050 Ti. Think about GPU longevity here.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Think about GPU longevity here

When talking longevity the 1060 3GB is a bad, bad option. Its Vram amount is to small for modern games. Many games allready use 4GB or more. 3GB will lead to stuttering due to lack or Vram

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

When talking longevity the 1060 3GB is a bad, bad option. Its Vram amount is to small for modern games. Many games allready use 4GB or more. 3GB will lead to stuttering due to lack or Vram

I was fully aware of the 3GB controversy when I bought mine, it's fine. I only ever play CSGO, Rocket League, Overwatch, TF2, and the occasional small indie game. None of which were starved for VRAM in gaming.

37 minutes ago, ThatRandomGuy908 said:

So I am thinking of upgrading my Nvida Geforce GT 730 to either a GTX 1050TI or a GTX 1060? Which one would be better? I plan to do a lot of 1080P gaming and I really just want a solid frame rate. My current PC specs are below

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
    AMD FX 8310 8 core processer 3.40GHz
    Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-30)

Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P FX (CPU 1)

Graphics
    LC-32LB481U (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (EVGA)

Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA)

PSU

Ultra 650W ATX Power Supply 

1060 if you have the budget

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

I was fully aware of the 3GB controversy when I bought mine, it's fine. I only ever play CSGO, Rocket League, Overwatch, TF2, and the occasional small indie game. None of which were starved for VRAM in gaming.

Just because you dont have problem in those few select games doesnt mean the problem isnt there. I believe a lot of titles this year especially went over the 4GB Vram threshold

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Just because you dont have problem in those few select games doesnt mean the problem isnt there. I believe a lot of titles this year especially went over the 4GB Vram threshold

Sure, but in my use case, 3GB is sufficient.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Sure, but in my use case, 3GB is sufficient.

True, for now

Honestly, with current pricing the 3GB model is just bad value seing as the better performing rx 580 4GB has pretty much reached its pricepoint and the 6GB 1060 and 8GB 580 isnt far away. Still, the 1060 3GB isnt a 1060 at all

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Honestly, with current pricing the 3GB model is just bad value seing as the better performing rx 580 4GB has pretty much reached its pricepoint and the 6GB 1060 and 8GB 580 isnt far away. Still, the 1060 3GB isnt a 1060 at all

I can agree there, but that's if you're comfortable with the power consumption of the equivalent AMD cards. Even so, 6GB GTX 1060s are like £70 more than 3GB ones here in the UK, makes more sense given you have the budget for it.

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

I can agree there, but that's if you're comfortable with the power consumption of the equivalent AMD cards. Even so, 6GB GTX 1060s are like £70 more than 3GB ones here in the UK, makes more sense given you have the budget for it.

The power consumption of polaris cards is very low. At lower CI counts the CGN architecture is as efficient as pascal om instances. It just doesnt scale well past a certain point. Power consumption of the 580 is a non-issue compared to the 1060.

Im specifocallt the UK market you are prpbably better of woth the 6GB model rsther than the RX580. But many pther places like the US and places in Europe you are in a budget situation better of getting a rx 580 4GB than a 1060 3GB. The Vram issue is there, though not as significant

54 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@ThatRandomGuy908
obviously the GTX 1060 would be better, but your CPU will heavily bottleneck that card.
you could buy it and upgrade the rest of your computer later.

@syn2112 Will my PC still be able to use the card or will my PC not be able to use it's full potential 

55 minutes ago, Amish IT Guy said:

the 1060 is a much better card, and I would suggest it, I think the only reason I would go with a 1050ti would be cost or maybe space? But for 1080p gaming the 1050 would actually struggle in some games, while the 1060 can hold it's own much better, and will last for a few years IMO

EDIT didn't look too close at the CPU, but I'd still go with the 1060, and focus on upgrading CPU, ( or everything) next, depending on budget

@Amish IT Guy I do plan on upgrading the PC to an I5 or something sooner or later

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Which 1060?

The 3GB model or the 6GB model

The 3GB is 10% slower than the 1060 6GB

If you cant get the 1060 6GB id advice against getting the 3GB 1060. You should rather get a rx 580 4GB if you cant get the 1060 6GB

@GoldenLag I plan on going with a 6GB model

3 minutes ago, ThatRandomGuy908 said:

GoldenLag I plan on going with a 6GB model

Then all good. If you have a freesync monitor and can get the rx 580 8GB at the same pricepoint i think you should consider that card instead, otherwise just run with the 1060 6GB

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Then all good. If you have a freesync monitor and can get the rx 580 8GB at the same pricepoint i think you should consider that card instead, otherwise just run with the 1060 6GB

@GoldenLag I actually never even considered the card. Thank you. Also I'm using a Sharp Roku TV so I'm pretty sure I don't have FreeSync

1 minute ago, ThatRandomGuy908 said:

@GoldenLag I actually never even considered the card. Thank you. Also I'm using a Sharp Roku TV so I'm pretty sure I don't have FreeSync

If the monitor can do 75hz or more in refreshrate there is a high likelyhoot it has. Otherwise it doesnt. Its present on pretty mich any low an mid end monitor with higher refreshrate in mind

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

If the monitor can do 75hz or more in refreshrate there is a high likelyhoot it has. Otherwise it doesnt. Its present on pretty mich any low an mid end monitor with higher refreshrate in mind

Okay, just did a quick google search (Cause I forgot) it has a 60hz refresh rate

@ThatRandomGuy908
you'll be able to the use the GTX 1060, it's just you probably won't use it to its full potential.
i think it will be fine, but upgrading your CPU will improve your experience :)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.