Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rnhbs

Should i buy a used 1060 6GB that was used for mining?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi yall I saw an ad for a used MSI ARMOR 1060 6GB for $340 Australian$ which is relatively cheap than a brand new one which goes around $450ish. Since my budget is tight should i go for the one that was used for mining?

if the warranty is still there then i'd say it's fair game, but if not the i'd rather not risk it when the price isn't that much different from a new 1060/580.

CPU: Intel i7-4870HQ Heatsink: Coolermaster TPC 812 GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Geil DDR3 2x8GB Evo Potenza 2400Mhz mobo: MSI B85-IE35 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

How long was it mining? In what conditions? 

Do you know how to replace a gpu fan? The first thing to fail while mining is the fans, as they are spinning at high rpm's 24/7, but gpu itself usually stays cool so no damage done there.

1 hour ago, rnhbs said:

Hi yall I saw an ad for a used MSI ARMOR 1060 6GB for $340 Australian$ which is relatively cheap than a brand new one which goes around $450ish. Since my budget is tight should i go for the one that was used for mining?

I think it would still be good but you can probably find a much better deal for at least maybe a used GTX 1070 at the same price so I would personally keep lookin because you will find something better! 

Have a great day!

CPU: i5-4690K OC @ 4.7 Ghz 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X42 
Motherboard: ASUS B85-PRO GAMER
RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 CL9 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung EVO 860 (500GB)

HDD: 1TB 
GPU: RTX 2070 FE
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Power Supply: Cooler Master B600 ver.2
Monitor: ROG Swift PG278QR G-Sync 165Hz

I'd recommend replacing the fan and thermal paste for it, but other than that it should be good.

Although, if you can find a cheaper one / better one for the same price, go for that.

Try and make sure the warranty is still valid, though. Or that you're buying from a reputable source like newegg that offers refunds.

Check with the miner to see if it was undervolted and if so, I would say yes as the card wasn't running at top speeds and was producing minimal heat.

However, avoid it if there was a moded BIOS installed.

As for the fans, just keep an eye on them, easy & quick replacement if they fail.

Seems like something you gotta ask yourself. 

Doesn’t matter how it was used. Seller can say what they want. Chances are it will be fine, like any other used card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Pny Anarchy 16Gb's, EVGA Titan Black SC SLI, OCZ  ZX Series 1000, Acer GD235HZ x3 5760x1080@120hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC SLI, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144