Website for 3D printed guns to go back online

After 5 years of litigation a lawsuit against 3D printing and gun enthusiast Cody Wilson has been settled.  It has been decided that pulling down Wilson's site is breaking the first amendment for the right of freedom of speech.  The 3D Printing/Gun enthusiast's website is due to come back online on the 1st of August.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/18/meet-the-man-who-wants-to-bring-on-the-age-of-downloadable-guns-and-may-have-already-succeeded/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.46bb21b0d503

During the summer of 2012, Cody Wilson hung around J&J, a car-repair shop run by two “goofy” guys in their late 20s. The Austin warehouse was crowded with engine blocks, car parts and Pelican boxes that never seemed to have been opened, but the 24-year-old came as he pleased, with access to shop machinery.

He had spent the larger part of his second year at the University of Texas Law School learning how to operate a 3-D printer. Familiar with the robust gun culture of the South from his Boy Scout years in Arkansas, he soon began to wonder whether he could create the first fully 3-D-printed, functional firearm.

defcad.com was started by Wilson and a group of friends to create an open source platform

“We wanted to be the wiki for guns,” Wilson said. Defcad.com, an unregulated file-sharing website, launched, birthing what became the first 3-D-printing gun community.

With support from the second amendment foundation Wilson was litigated by the federal government for 5 years before they settled the case on June 22.  Hailing a victory for both 1st and 2nd amendment fans

Second Amendment Foundation founder Alan Gottlieb, surprised the government settled after years of battle, said that the victory cemented gun-ownership law. “The government can no longer effectively ban guns in America because anyone can download the code and make a gun in their own home,” he said.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I know a lot of people are going to bring up "you can print a whole gun without being checked now", but let's look at the realistics of this.

Usually, the stuff that's 3D printed are things that aren't going to be exposed to the kind of heat that a shooting gun produces. While it's plausible that you can print an entire gun, it isn't really that practical. What this ruling determines is, basically, like custom parts (or even building full weapons), 3D printed parts fall under that category, too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I bet this thread turns to a gun law shit fest before the end of the first page.  And I'll eat my chair if hasn't by the end of the second.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I bet this thread turns to a gun law shit fest before the end of the first page.  And I'll eat my chair if hasn't by the end of the second.

I'll take that bet....and I'll, with the highest probability, lose.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

How to be an American? Exercise America’s favorite amendment, the right to bear arms. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

48 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I know a lot of people are going to bring up "you can print a whole gun without being checked now", but let's look at the realistics of this.

Usually, the stuff that's 3D printed are things that aren't going to be exposed to the kind of heat that a shooting gun produces. While it's plausible that you can print an entire gun, it isn't really that practical. What this ruling determines is, basically, like custom parts (or even building full weapons), 3D printed parts fall under that category, too.

In a matter of self-defense, 3d printed guns, barring some breakthrough in thermal resistant astics, are rather useless. On the matter of offense however, such as an assassination, they could prove quite strong as only a single shot would be required, and would be difficult to detect via metal detector.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

In a matter of self-defense, 3d printed guns, barring some breakthrough in thermal resistant astics, are rather useless. On the matter of offense however, such as an assassination, they could prove quite strong as only a single shot would be required, and would be difficult to detect via metal detector.

This argument is so old and not very smart, sure you can make a gun that's 100% non metal, plastic or porcelain for example but you're always going to need metal bullets to actually use the thing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This argument is so old and not very smart, sure you can make a gun that's 100% non metal, plastic or porcelain for example but you're always going to need metal bullets to actually use the thing.

Not really, they have clay and ceramic and plastic bullets.  You can make some impressively accurate non magnetic guns and ammo.  That said, it is a silly argument in the first place.

On the high end assassinations, the "pros" will be using expensive gear, that is planted ahead of time, or just very well planned out.  But these are rare and really a non-issue.  And there is likely nothing you can do about this one, so its more of a red herring.

On the low end, it is probably cheaper and easier to just buy a stolen or low quality regular gun.  Gangs aren't gonna be getting 3d printers to make stealth guns because why would they need them when they can just steal or buy cheap guns?

And for the lone wolf actors, they will just plan accordingly to the situation they intend to go to/create.  And most of these people will be willing to die for their goal (at least when they are planning and start the attack).  And making home made guns is currently legal, and regardless of legality making a gun at home is virtually impossible to detect.  Between google and youtube, you can gain all the knowledge you need to make any gun you want.  Just need some basic machine shop tools.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You could make composite bullets and casings, but there's no reason.

As to case, I'm glad they won. We assumed they would, but it was always going to be messy. If you have the Schematics, anyone with a CnC Machine can make pretty much any gun variety. It's been fully possibly to do this for well over a decade. Rifling the barrel tends to be the only really tricky part to do, these days. It's still cheaper to buy an illegal gun than mill one, though.

A gun is a tube with a firing mechanism. If you're desperate to make a gun you can do it with supplies from a hardware store. A small piece of tubing and a nail would suffice.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I never said you couldn't, nor was it really an argument tbh. Just my impressions of what I've seen from current 3d printed firearms and what use I could make of it. In fact, I opposed taking down the blueprints, citing our rights to share information, even if I find it of little use myself.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

How to get guns in minecraft

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

yOU woUldN't DOWnlOad A GuN

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Good. It's not like they're more effective than a PVC pipe, end cap, and nail.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.