Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QrQR7Wp5r8iN

Corning’s new Gorilla Glass 6 announced

Posted · Original PosterOP

We have a newer version of the all popular Gorilla Glass. I hope it protects our upcoming phones better from slippery fingers. Always good to see improvements.

corning_glass_6.png

Corning just announced the release of Gorilla Glass 6, emphasizing that it’s more durable than previous models. The company says that the glass will survive up to 15 drops from a one meter height and can be “up to two times better” than Gorilla Glass 5.

“Corning Gorilla Glass 6 improves upon Gorilla Glass 5 by surviving drops from higher heights, but, more importantly, has been engineered to survive multiple drops,” said Corning Gorilla Glass vice president and general manager John Bayne in a statement.

Link: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/18/17587084/corning-gorilla-glass-6-phone-screen-durability-announcement-features

On 7/19/2018 at 7:09 AM, mynameisjuan said:

Can we just move to plastic screens with tempered glass protectors over the top please. Scratch protection seems to be non-existent in marketing anymore so why the glass

The sapphire screens on the Apple Watches are great. Not tooting Apple's horn here because other companies use them, but I treat my Apple Watch not too well and it's been a few years since 2015. Not a single scratch. 

Still maybe they will just include bullet-proof screens for the next gorilla glass and have done with it lol. 

41 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Can we just move to plastic screens with tempered glass protectors over the top please. Scratch protection seems to be non-existent in marketing anymore so why the glass

Its not in marketing because it has not improved the past few GG gens, if they went back to glass they would get scratches so fast for people that do not use screen protectors.

I have no protector on my pixel xl and it has no scratches over 1.5 years of uses.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

My s9+ scratched so much from a simple slip... I still remember Note 3/4 where they were almost unscratchable :(

I think gorilla glass 3 was the best for scratch resistance

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

My tablet survived a drop of over 2 meters yesterday-and its only got Gorilla glass 1....

I'm actually wondering how soft the new glass is compared to v5, because that's the only real way to get better impact resistance.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Moto z2 force has something like that and people were not exactly happy with it. The top of the screen started peeling off after a year(or less) of use. The tech is probably not there yet.

5 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Moto z2 force has something like that and people were not exactly happy with it. The top of the screen started peeling off after a year(or less) of use. The tech is probably not there yet.

well that top layer was the replaceable one so it was designed to do that after enough damage but i agree it's not quite there

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

So... Linus should buy a phone with CGG6, but I'm stuck waiting till the drop rating goes up to 1.25M...

I don't care how many times it survives at 1 meter (my waist) if it doesn't survive viewing height for me let alone ear height...

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Unless Apple does it nothing will appear since most smaller manufacturers seem only to copy Apple's concepts. Since we now have On Screen Glass Apple is unlikely to budge from the glass-only position as introducing multiple different layers will lead to increased reflectivity as well as a subjectively worse display - the image will no longer seem to lie on the surface as we see in modern phones but be set back like older models.

Getting the end users to replace the screens will result in trapped dust, air and debris under the display, something a consumer will not appreciate on their $800 phone.

A rollcage/airbag may work..

1 hour ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Active has a replaceable plastic screen protector over the screen from the factory.  Without realizing that, I bought and installed an additional glass screen protector over the top of that.  It's been over 1 1/2 years now and it still holds strong, so it definitely can be done.  They probably just cheapened out somewhere in the production.