Core i9 Macbook Pro throttles so hard its SLOWER than last years i7 model.

Hunter259
2 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

If apple wants their devices to not thermal throttle, I wonder why they don't use liquid metal?

I mean they don't last long enough for it to matter that the metal is eating into the macbook, and they can brag that the performance is "so much better now" and "runs cooler" or however they want to spin it.

Because it's comically expensive and they want it to last longer than a year and a half? Beside the meme that Apple products die a lot, I've had multiple pros last 2+ years and all were used/refurbs when I got them. No issues.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

5 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

If apple wants their devices to not thermal throttle, I wonder why they don't use liquid metal?

I mean they don't last long enough for it to matter that the metal is eating into the macbook, and they can brag that the performance is "so much better now" and "runs cooler" or however they want to spin it.

Copper reacts with the gallium. Just at a much slower pace than other metals like aluminum, though it is likely to become an issue after the 1 year mark.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I think louis rossmann might have different thoughts on the longevity of macbooks.

Also they could just raise their prices $10, chances are nobody would know because they raise prices every year.

Seems like a win-win situation for apple to me. Macbooks die even faster, they get to spin it for marketing, and then people buy even more macbooks.

I don't see what's wrong from apples standpoint.

Louis' main issue is that people expect that Apple laptops are tanks and built better than everyone else. They aren't. That is a serious news flash to a lot of people. If you take care of your electronics they will last outside of crazy shit.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

18 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well portability is a concern. I'd rather not lug around a 5-10lb sheet of brick

How inconvenient for a computer to weigh more than a text book.

16 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

The old retina pros and the pros before that were at minimum able to do base clocks while being thinner and lighter and a hell of a lot better looking than those ugly things.

I guess it's subjective, but I like the utilitarian design.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

How inconvenient for a computer to weigh more than a text book.

I guess it's subjective, but I like the utilitarian design.

I mean if you're already lugging around a couple actual text books, why would you want your laptop to weigh the same?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Spoiler

Can someone make me 2018?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

They could also plate the contacting surface with silver, gold or some other very nonreactive metal.

Tungsten or Tantalum?

My eyes see the past…

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tungsten or Tantalum?

Tantalum can be quite reactive (caps can catch fire under the right circumstances).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apple back again with the 11/10 thermal design

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

giphy.gif.5f76105b9072b84549ece1cb449b9cd9.gif

Hide contents

Alternatively:

raw.gif.10cf3fc9244236cccffd182776d543d1.gif

Yeah when I first heard about the new mbp having 6 cores I was wondering how in the world they would be able to cool it. I guess the quick answer is that they won't. 

35 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well portability is a concern. I'd rather not lug around a 5-10lb sheet of brick

I'm going to give you the same exact advice I give to those that use poly pistols and ultra light pencil barrel AR15s because of "weight savings," stop being a crybaby and invest in these:

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Sporting-Goods-Neoprene-Sculpting/dp/B00TKTQI2G/ref=br_lf_m_bf5aw2f4h9ag9f8_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I mean if you're already lugging around a couple actual text books, why would you want your laptop to weigh the same?

I haven't had a laptop in years so I mean maybe it's a real concern for some people, but I used to carry one in a shoulder laptop bag and I never felt it was uncomfortable. It's probably also a lifestyle thing because I didn't need to bring the thing to high school. Most of the portability just meant moving it into another room or to a friend's house.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm going to give you the same exact advice I give to those that use poly pistols and ultra light pencil barrel AR15s because of "weight savings," stop being a crybaby and invest in these:

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Sporting-Goods-Neoprene-Sculpting/dp/B00TKTQI2G/ref=br_lf_m_bf5aw2f4h9ag9f8_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

yeah, I still don't want or need a brick.

Guns are different.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

58 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

The problem is I believe tungsten has a very poor thermal conductivity, so I though of solver and gold since they are not very reactive and have a good thermal conductivity.

I don't know about tantalum, but I think it might be too expensive to use.

You couldn't use iron or steel either because their thermal conductivity is very poor.

Gold dissolves slowly with gallium, but it will dissolve in time. From 5 minutes of searching, tungsten and tantalum are the only metals not dissolved in gallium.

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Louis' main issue is that people expect that Apple laptops are tanks and built better than everyone else. They aren't. That is a serious news flash to a lot of people. If you take care of your electronics they will last outside of crazy shit.

for the amount you have to pay for them considering what is inside, they should be built better than most others 

Yeah that's just unacceptable. That CPU in the macbook performs like a Ryzen 1600 when cooled properly (slightly better). But in that macbook it's performance is ruined. Sad to see.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

When I was looking at the pictures I wondered how it'd do with such a high powered processor...but I didn't think it'd that bad.

If it has no possible way to reach it's higher speeds, I wonder if someone could think of some way to sue Apple for false advertising.

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

WTF is this weird notion that laptops have to be so thin and light that you couldn't even use it as a paper weight?

It's a piece of office equipment, not a woman's fashion accessory.

This is what it should look like:

1d6602ce45b82b9db05d795430e6f8b1-320-80.

HP_ProBook_4520S_L_1.jpg

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

You're a joke Apple.

I don't think I've seen any laptops, especially business grade, that thick in a very long time.

A piece of office equipment doesn't need to weigh 10 lbs to be effective. And, let's be real, Apple is more of a fashion statement than a business tool.

2 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I think louis rossmann might have different thoughts on the longevity of macbooks.

Also they could just raise their prices $10, chances are nobody would know because they raise prices every year.

Seems like a win-win situation for apple to me. Macbooks die even faster, they get to spin it for marketing, and then people buy even more macbooks.

I don't see what's wrong from apples standpoint.

To be fair, he looks at broken Apple products for a living. He's bound to be a little skewed one way. He's mentioned as much in his videos.

If every person you saw on a daily basis was a meth addict, you'd think most people were meth addicts.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Remember, Apple now prefers form over function and seems incapable of achieving a balance between them any more.

Remember: Apple only has the fans kick in at a low RPM when the CPU exceeds 80oC, because they would rather the Macbook cook itself than make a lot of noise.

pff not as if it explodes. I still prefer my Mac any day to the dull PC designs out there. 

my first reaction:

BWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

1 eternity later

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH... ah... thats funny...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

how does the i7 compare? Need a new laptop for work baby

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it has no possible way to reach it's higher speeds, I wonder if someone could think of some way to sue Apple for false advertising.

"You're using it wrong. Our Apple MacPro i9 edition is only be used in environments that do not exceed 10°C. For customers who wish to continue using their MacPro i9 edition in environments exceeding 10°C, we will make available for sale a special cooling pad called the iDryIcetm that can be affixed to the machine. The iDryIcetm will be available in 'Classic Apple Frosted White' colour scheme to suit the aesthetics of your MacPro i9 edition. The iDryIcetm will need to be replaced every 6 hours and will cost USD $49.99 + shipping. Use of third party, non Apple Certified iDryIcetm will result in warranty being voided, which won't matter since we probably can't repair it anyway"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm not at all surprised. 

I've been reading coverage on the new Coffee Lake CPUs and it's generally known that they run quite a bit warmer than Kaby Lake. Hence why it's not uncommon to see upgraded cooling systems on Coffee Lake refreshes. 

The MacBook, however, is not known for good or even adequate cooling. It's been known that Apple by default has a fan profile that only kicks in when the CPU is very close to TJ max. Hence why it's not uncommon for power Mac users to use an application to ramp up the fans much more aggressively much earlier on. 

However, in this case, it's inevitable. The combination of a high-performance i9 that runs warm even in a big ASUS G703 (albeit overclocked) combined with a thin chassis that has a significantly weaker cooling system and you have a toaster 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

34 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

pff not as if it explodes. I still prefer my Mac any day to the dull PC designs out there. 

No, they don't have catastrophic lithium ion battery failures. But they have been known to cause burns in the past. And the Macbook being thin+light is pointless when they can easily get too hot to have in your lap safely.

Then again Apple doesn't even call Macbooks laptops (haven't since 2006 as far as I remember) because they know exactly how bad their cooling solutions are.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Tbh it’s from one source. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not but a sample size of one, particularly for an Apple product isn’t enough. 

I saw a video of EverythingApplePro and he ran a few benchmarks with stellar results. Both Geekbench and FCPX showed a decent victory for the new model.

He tests stuff as a user, which is something I find refreshing.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro