Core i9 Macbook Pro throttles so hard its SLOWER than last years i7 model.

Hunter259
1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, they've definitely done an excellent job of building up their brand image.

To be fair, there are tons of companies that do business with Foxconn. Foxconn doesn't make horrible products, they're simply competitive. They understand that sometimes volume is more important than the cost per unit, which is how most successful businesses work. Apple has done an extraordinary job of accomplishing both high unit cost and high sales volume. There will always be premium products. It just so happens that Apple is the current leader.

Also, computers are a commodity that everyone uses. Not everyone gives two shits about the spec in their machine, as long as it works. Apple capitalized on that market. I don't blame people for not heavily researching their computer purchase if they just use it for basic things, as they don't really need to.

I wouldnt call slave driving "competetive", which is what Foxconn is known for. Their working conditions are largely inhumane and their workers have it worse than prisoners in some countries.

I know a Foxconn is in basically everything. That doesnt mean ill go buy a phone 100% made by them.

Selection is a huge part of evolutionary success or failure. Apple takes away the need to be selective by only offering one choice. I realize that they capitalized on the intellectual laziness of the masses, who prefer to have others think for them and make their decisions for them.

But the thing is, a lot of people seem to view Apple as premium quality or high end, when its really made as cheaply as possible. I could understand computer illiterate people buying it if it was easy and cheap, but some people consider Apple devices to be status symbols. Its laughable and saddening at the same time really.

Next from apple: iFan. Starting at $399. Just plug this dongle into your existing dongles to make a iDongle-train™ and watch your temperatures fall 5 degrees and still throttle.

Not enough still? Coming soon: iHeatpipes and fins. Just stick them on with this thermal adhesive. 

Remember, here at Apple we're all about design and ui. Right up til you want to do literally anything and then you're screwed 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

I am not surprised to see this. As soon as I heard of an i9 model I thought... What about temps.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

So the new mbp features high performance on canada? dammit apple you are doing this to cheat on ltt I knew it!!!.

Mbp rusian world cup edition :D  shame to live on a warm country :( 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

LIQID METAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

xD

In all serious though i think that might actually help a great deal here @LinusTech are you listening video idea here

I lurk a lot

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Apple fanboys rationalized the iPhone 4 dropping calls and still bought it. Apple counts on their  logo doing all the talking. You could stick an apple logo on the worst knockoff and fanboys would still defend it and buy it at any price.

You think theyre a trillion dollar company because they make quality products? Its because they use lowest bidder manufacturing(Foxconn) and sell at a huge premium.

The kinds of people who buy this stuff know nothing about computers. Has been that way since Wozniak left Apple. 

Most consumers are happy being fooled these days. Like Oscar Wilde said "Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

How’ve we ended up at all Apple products are bad when we’re talking about the new MacBook processor not performing?

Apple have many wonderful products, the MacBook Pro is one of them (I have never owned one but still appreciate them), just this specific refresh is a little questionable, and that’s what this thread is for discussing.

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

How’ve we ended up at all Apple products are bad when we’re talking about the new MacBook processor not performing?

Apple have many wonderful products, the MacBook Pro is one of them (I have never owned one but still appreciate them), just this specific refresh is a little questionable.

I didnt say they were all bad, as in actually defective like the iphone 4, mac pro trash can fire or this throttling laptop. Its that theres this perception of high end without the quality to back it up. 

I havent seen a wonderful product from them that exceeds the competetion with anything other than an Apple logo on it. Its not like Apple is the only company that makes overpriced stuff that is underwhelming. HP, Dell, Lenovo when they attempt to be premium are all pretty bad.

Honetly, point me in the direction of a wonderfully high quality modern Apple product that is better than the competition.

There isnt a rabid fan community viciously defending those brands or making excuses when Lenovo includes malware in their laptops by default or HP makes some stupid ultrabook that costs $3,000 but is outperformed by a $800 Asus or MSI. 

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The Core i9 model? 

Because D2D mentioned that the Core i9 version of the XPS15 throttles as well though to a lesser degree 

Yes the Core i9 one, it doesn’t throttle in the reviews I’ve seen, it manages to stay just above the base clock (of 2.9GHz).

Exactly as expected.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

I didnt say they were all bad, as in actually defective like the iphone 4, mac pro trash can fire or this throttling laptop. Its that theres this perception of high end without the quality to back it up. 

I havent seen a wonderful product from them that exceeds the competetion with anything other than an Apple logo on it. Its not like Apple is the only company that makes overpriced stuff that is underwhelming. HP, Dell, Lenovo when they attempt to be premium are all pretty bad.

There isnt a rabid fan community viciously defending those brands or making excuses when Lenovo includes malware in their laptops by default or HP makes some stupid ultrabook that costs $3,000 but is outperformed by a $800 Asus or MSI. 

Just from that very last sentence I can tell your definition of “wonderful product” is something with a good raw processing power (CPU/GPU) to cost ratio. That’s your opinion/interpretation of wonderful/outperformance and would explain why you haven’t seen a wonderful Apple product in your eyes.

For me personally I value the entirety of the hardware and software of a device. Not only do the CPU/GPU matter to me, but also the keyboard, trackpad, screen, battery life, form factor, design aesthetic, etc. The MacBook checks every one of my hardware boxes but unfortunately I don’t like OS X so I use Windows machines for my desktop operating system (XPS 9560 + a MSI GT75) and an iPhone X for my mobile device and I couldn’t be happier, they check all my boxes but necessarily yours, and that’s ok.

Also on the iPhone front, when a new model is released it is usually class leading in most metrics.

At this point I'm just out of anti-apple juices. There's been so much happening with them lately that I don't even have the energy to type up a book about this. I'll just say this: How much more will be sacrificed for form? What's next?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Called it the moment they announced it. Same chassis and same cooling couldnt keep the dual core under control let alone an i9.

I give them credit that the imac pro doesnt throttle as hard as I expect but god damn apple....stop screwing your customers. 

15 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Just from that very last sentence I can tell your definition of “wonderful product” is something with a good raw processing power (CPU/GPU) to cost ratio. That’s your opinion/interpretation of wonderful/outperformance and would explain why you haven’t seen a wonderful Apple product in your eyes.

For me personally I value the entirety of the hardware and software of a device. Not only do the CPU/GPU matter to me, but also the keyboard, trackpad, screen, battery life, form factor, design aesthetic, etc. The MacBook checks every one of my hardware boxes but unfortunately I don’t like OS X so I use Windows machines for my desktop operating system (XPS 9560 + a MSI GT75) and an iPhone X for my mobile device and I couldn’t be happier, they check all my boxes but necessarily yours, and that’s ok.

Also on the iPhone front, when a new model is released it is usually class leading in most metrics.

Actually if you look at my system specs, or anything else i say, i value build quality, stability and reliability over all else. I actually cant stand systems that have good CPU/GPU on paper but fall apart when you touch them. And does the iPhone flagship really beat Korean manufactured Samsung and LG flagships? Theyve had OLED screens that are far superior ton Apple for years now. Other than shitty nonremovable batteries(thanks for starting that Apple) they tend to have superior image sensors and screens.

9 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

so what you're saying is I need to use my mac pro in a freezer to get the full speed.

yay:dry:

And it is still more than twice as slow as a PC that is less than 1/2rd the price.

On topic: Not the first time this happens in MacBooks, just the first time YouTube catches it and actually makes a video about it.

Had this happen to me as early as 2013 (not sure which model I had any more, but I never reached the top speeds for more than a few seconds before throttling).

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Actually if you look at my system specs, or anything else i say, i value build quality, stability and reliability over all else. I actually cant stand systems that have good CPU/GPU on paper but fall apart when you touch them. And does the iPhone flagship really beat Korean manufactured Samsung and LG flagships? Theyve had OLED screens that are far superior ton Apple for years now. Other than shitty nonremovable batteries(thanks for starting that Apple) they tend to have superior image sensors and screens.

That awkward moment when OLED isn't universally better than a good IPS screen or when the OLED in the X is rated higher than the display in the s9, and with LGs screens in a very distant spot behind previous Galaxies (due in part to LG OLEDs being pretty bad -- hopefully this will change soon since Apple is rumored to be switching to LG OLEDs) . Not to mention that Apple's Soc is far superior to the year's SD/Exynos SoC.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

54 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Not according to DisplayMate who are the go-to for display reviews, they're the display equivalent of DxOMark.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm#Best_Smartphone

The iPhone has also always been a leader in storage, memory, CPU and GPU performance when it was released. They were one of the first phones to use proper NVMe storage.

Performance: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

Storage (when they released with NVMe - can't find any current stats): https://www.anandtech.com/show/9662/iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-preliminary-results

Anyways my point is, it's not as cut and dry as people like to make out.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Yes the Core i9 one, it doesn’t throttle in the reviews I’ve seen, it manages to stay just above the base clock (of 2.9GHz).

Hmm, odd that the D2D one has issues 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Actually, the iPhones have had the better displays mostly due to their accuracy, especially since the DCI-P3 move.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

58 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Actually, the iPhones have had the better displays mostly due to their accuracy, especially since the DCI-P3 move.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that OLED is automatically better. It ain't necessarily so.

24 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Many people make the mistake of thinking that OLED is automatically better. It ain't necessarily so.

Close enough, there's only a few major OLED manufacturers and they all need to beat LCDs to get sales because OLEDs are expensive

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

And does the iPhone flagship really beat Korean manufactured Samsung and LG flagships? Theyve had OLED screens that are far superior ton Apple for years now. Other than shitty nonremovable batteries(thanks for starting that Apple) they tend to have superior image sensors and screens.

No need to worry, the iPhone X uses a Samsung OLED panel, they might switch to LG but that's still not in-house

Edit: After Apple completes it's journey to manufacture both it's own CPU and GPUs, I expect they will make oleds or microleds

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-screens/apple-is-designing-and-testing-screens-bloomberg-idUSKBN1GV04W

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Wow, who would expect an i9 on a thin-chassis laptop would thermal throttle? /s

IMO i9 as a whole on thin laptops (XPS, Macbook, whatever) is pure bullshit and marketing gimmick at its finest, why the fuck would you PAY more to get even LESSER performance than an i7?

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

32 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

And the very site he cited shows just how many years Samsung has made the best OLED displays for phones.

Im well aware that its not automatically better. Last time i checked, the most expensive and highly specced monitor was still the Dolby PRM-4220 which is an RGB LED backlit native 12bit LCD with a 2TFLOPS processor just for the backlight control. Sony BVM OLEDs would probably be about equal.

As someone else pointed out, Apple finally dropped the WLED backlit LG IPS for Samsung OLEDs.

People also think bigger colour gamut = better but that aint always so either.

12 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Last gen was the perfect version of the Macbook Pro IMO.

If they hadn't changed the keyboard to that fragile, no-feedback butterfly design it would have been :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

Wow, who would expect an i9 on a thin-chassis laptop would thermal throttle? /s

IMO i9 as a whole on thin laptops (XPS, Macbook, whatever) is pure bullshit and marketing gimmick at its finest, why the fuck would you PAY more to get even LESSER performance than an i7?

Because 9 > 7 and thats the extent that most people are willing to research things they buy.