POLL: Do you keep your PC on the floor or desk?

reniat

Do you keep your PC on the floor or desk?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Floor or desk?

• Floor (including PCs on top of stuff at floor level.)
    • Desk

I had to put it on the floor after getting a new desk.(on a wood plank that's the same size as the bottom of the case... just to say it's not directly on the floor)

I could technically put it up top, but that would mean getting rid of my printer/scanner, which believe it or not, I do still use a few times a month... There's also a bit of space behind the printer and my second monitor that's at an angle... But my case is too big to fit in it. I'd need one of those Slim office PC case for it to fit there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TheReal1st said:

Y not get monitor arms to hold up them then u get so much free space its very freeing as some would say. A good one is like 25-30US for double monitor arms. 

Can u not GET ONE??? they very cheap and look nice not gonna lie mine looks very SMexy. Aren't u jelly 

My desk has a recess that is specifically designed to have a monitor in it, so that it is at the correct eye height. Even if I wall mounted it or had it on a VESA arm bolted to the desk, it would still have to be at the same height and distance for my vision so it would still occlude the same part of my desk. 

Perhaps an option if I ever renovate and get a new desk.

4 minutes ago, Tabs said:

My desk has a recess that is specifically designed to have a monitor in it, so that it is at the correct eye height. Even if I wall mounted it or had it on a VESA arm bolted to the desk, it would still have to be at the same height and distance for my vision so it would still occlude the same part of my desk. 

Perhaps an option if I ever renovate and get a new desk.

U can just get one that clamps to the desk. All u need is a flat surface to mount it to. Check the measurements to see if it will fit attached to the back of your desk. If not you can always just clamp wood to the desk so u can then clamp the mount to the wood to extend the desk of sorts so it works. 

Heres a good dual monitor mount

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

5 minutes ago, TheReal1st said:

U can just get one that clamps to the desk. All u need is a flat surface to mount it to. Check the measurements to see if it will fit attached to the back of your desk. If not you can always just clamp wood to the desk so u can then clamp the mount to the wood to extend the desk of sorts so it works. 

Heres a good dual monitor mount

I know about them, it just wouldn't be of any use to me. My computer area is in an alcove so my space to the left and right is limited, so even if I wall or desk mounted my monitor I would still need to have it in the exact same place for it to be comfortable for me. Does that make sense? It's quite difficult to explain. I haven't seen many desks like this around.

My current setup works for me because my monitor sits in a recessed area at the back left of the desk, so the bottom of the display is directly touching the top of my desk, and means the top is at perfect eye height.

I like the thought of keeping my PC on my desk so I can see it, but I also cherish my desk real estate so the only PC that'd ever get the chance to live up here would be something in a very compact ITX form factor, and I haven't had the chance to go down that build route yet.

Though the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to just build a regular tower and leave it on the floor. Even with a 6 foot wide desk I'm craving more space.

In my next apartment (or perhaps this one with some rearranging) I plan to add another 6 foot desk for even more space.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

voted for Desk even though mine is over an old drawer

it's huge and I'm sure it weighs over 25kg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I know about them, it just wouldn't be of any use to me. My computer area is in an alcove so my space to the left and right is limited, so even if I wall or desk mounted my monitor I would still need to have it in the exact same place for it to be comfortable for me. Does that make sense? It's quite difficult to explain. I haven't seen many desks like this around.

My current setup works for me because my monitor sits in a recessed area at the back left of the desk, so the bottom of the display is directly touching the top of my desk, and means the top is at perfect eye height.

Hmmm seems fine as u describe it. So thats good. but ya if u want more your likely gonna have to get a more compatible desk which isn't much really. Just one with a flat top about 1 1/2 in thick and 4 legs. make sure u can clamp a mount on the back though for future reference. Since the mount I linked are the best kind budget wise as well as function wise. For most that is. U could be different just like your unique desk. 

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

1 hour ago, TheReal1st said:

Y no get longer E cable they EXIST u know??

ANd very cheap TOO like 25US max y u be so cheap?? Just get one

It will cost me 20$ to get to a store that sells one.

Or it will be 10$ shipping. 

I will be as cheap as i can. Besides i allready have alonger ethernet cable. T

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It will cost me 20$ to get to a store that sells one.

Or it will be 10$ shipping. 

I will be as cheap as i can. Besides i allready have alonger ethernet cable. T

Why not u get Prime Trial u can just keep using it as wonng as u gte new email every firty days. Best strick to always get 2 day shipping. Y u no get this are u not smart?? I fought american were smart, u don't seem to be. Y not take advantage of sytem if they to dumb to stop u frommm making them spend more money. Huhh???!!

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

desk for sure, to not get any dust in it from the bottom, and you can look inside if you have a case with a widow ofc

I have it on my desk.  Sure I have a mid sized ATX case, but I got a big ass desk, and I got a case window for a reason.  I want to look at my build

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

can we keep the discussion to PC on the floor or on the desk.

drifting off-topic on other subjects doesn't help the thread..

stay on topic

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

I keep my DESKtop on my DESK

I keep my LAPtop on my ... desk. with an extra monitor

Small desk and ugly case. No other choice than putting it on the floor :(

Desk, though I have no issue keeping it on the floor. I've spent too damn much on aesthetics to keep my rig on the floor though :P

But really, we have 5 cats and the amount of hair that is in my sister's PC (which is on the floor) is staggering. I clean it out frequently to avoid her rig from overheating.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

My machine is not a showpiece and I need all the deskspace I can get so it goes on the floor.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Currently on the floor due to a lack of space on my desk (three monitors eats up a ton of room...), and because it's not the most visually appealing at the moment (Some major upgrades will be coming soon. I'll probably post some pictures within the next week or two).

I'll be moving into a dorm in a little over a month, and I doubt the desk there will be large enough to fit it with everything else unfortunately.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W