Rumour: New Intel chips will have SOLDERED IHS, dropping August 1st

Nicnac

Finally intel makes a chip you can compare to the r2700x 8 core vs 8 core fair not 6 core vs 8 core... Anyways this'll take all the Ryzen fan boys out behind the barn and put em to sleep finally 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Oh my god intel being sensible! What's next, decent stock coolers???

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

35 minutes ago, C2HWarrior said:

No need to change the 8700k it's basically gonna be the same as the 9700k if you delid

Yeah I guess

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 AM, TVwazhere said:

Yes but then how will you impress girls who like adventurous and dangerous men? Zooming in on Google maps as an alternative to skydiving only works so may times. (Dont ask me how I know)

how do you know?

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

how do you know?

That wasnt a trick question :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

But even if this is true then it is definitely a good step forward. They better dont mess up somehow.

It really depends on where the hot spots on the die are now. If the die still has uneven hotspots, soldering is still not the best idea.

The best reason I've heard why Intel when to thermal grease as the TIM was because the die had uneven hot spots which would lead to the creation of voids in the solder due to thermal fatigue. And I found that Raven Ridge was also thermal greased, and it's very likely for the same reason (the GPU and CPU portions aren't going to generate the same amount of heat).

41 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Finally intel makes a chip you can compare to the r2700x 8 core vs 8 core fair not 6 core vs 8 core... Anyways this'll take all the Ryzen fan boys out behind the barn and put em to sleep finally 

6v8 was not fair but still performed better in single and multi core in some cases. I am excited what the 8 core can do. 

49 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Doesn't matter much when the prices are vastly different. Intel already had an 8 core cpu but people didn't compare the 2 because of the difference in price. Ryzens main appeal is good value and nothing will change with this launch tbh. 

Might look into the 9900K tbh as I do need the cores for my use cases. And soldered CPUs on mainstream SKUs? About bloody time. Delidding my old 7700K was extremely irritating.

For me I guess it'll come down to 9900K vs TR 12nm vs Covfefe Lake-X or w/e they're calling it.

A good buddy of mine recently bought an 8086K and OCed it to 5.2Ghz (air cooling) and while the chip still runs toasty, the performance is blisteringly strong which had a bigger impression on me than any benchmark I've ever read on the internet. So much so that I'm considering switching back to Intel now. He has a 240hz monitor and the CPU is pretty much always able to maintain those kinds of framerates when coupled with his 1080TI. That being said, all he plays now are esport games such as LoL, Fortnite, and CS:GO.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

6v8 was not fair but still performed better in single and multi core in some cases. I am excited what the 8 core can do. 

It was completely fair. It's about price not how many cores they have. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Doesn't matter much when the prices are vastly different. Intel already had an 8 core cpu but people didn't compare the 2 because of the difference in price. Ryzens main appeal is good value and nothing will change with this launch tbh. 

Not everyone desires value. 8700k performs better for most task for a few more bucks. You want value then look at the i3/2300.

43 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not everyone desires value. 8700k performs better for most task for a few more bucks. You want value then look at the i3/2300.

If you don't care about value then ryzen isn't for you... 

My buddy is going to be so excited about that 9900k, if this all pans out to be true. Mostly just the fact it'll work on Z370 though.

I wonder what the pricing will be like on that guy. I'd imagine $449 US?

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I doubt it. :P

And i3s will likely stay 4C4T which is also another major disappointment,

I don't see it as a major disappointment. I think 4/4 is right where the i3 should be. Making it a 4/8 wouldn't make much sense for a budget offering.

8 hours ago, Majestic said:

All this tells me is that the power consumption will be shit.

For you and the 8 other people that care how power hungry enthusiast chips are xD

7 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

For enterprise chips yes. They get a 10x performance increase every 5 years or so. For desktop x86 CPUs, not so much. The difference between an i7-2600K and 6700K was like 25% in 5 years.

That's what happens when you have little to no competition ;)

7 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

I've just bought 8700K....

That doesn't make it any less of a CPU. It's still worth keeping, and it's still incredibly strong.
There will be a new CPU released every year.

6 hours ago, MrShinny said:

Even if the 9th gen comes out I might still buy the 8700k though.

Not completely sure, depends when it comes out, buying my build in August when the Evolv X comes out. Feelsbad though because I'm buying my PC before 9th gen CPUs and 11th gen GPUs, but I doubt it will be that big of a performance gain. I feel people just overhype every gen release.

Will change 1080ti to 1180ti when it comes out though and probably the 8700k to the 9700k at the same time.

I really chose a bad time to build a pc :(

By the time the 1180Ti comes out, you might as well grab the 10700k or whatever they decide to name it. There isn't that much of an improvement going up one generation (usually).

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

How about competitive prices?

How are their prices not that competitive? Not only that, why lower prices when you already have really strong sales?

1 hour ago, O9B0666 said:

Not really, Ryzen will still have a price advantage.

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I'd be happy if they just didn't look like ass. Really, though, how many people use stock coolers?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What are the chances they are only doing this because AMD is, and making them look bad. That all being said, it's about time, and thank fuck they have finally started doing this again, even though they should of never stopped. 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

And the resale value of Intel's 8*** becomes pathetic.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Let us hope so...

7 hours ago, MrShinny said:

I really chose a bad time to build a pc :(

There is always something new on the horizon related to PC tech.

So if you keep waiting for all of the new releases, you'll never actually end up building your PC. You'll simply keep delaying your build.

2 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Hey now... let's not get carried away. :P

The celebration of mediocrity. The fact that the situation was even acceptable from the 3000 series to the 8000 series speaks volumes about the alleged ''enthusiast'' community. The cooling solution implemented by Intel since the 3000 series up to and including the 8000 series on even the ''high end'' and ''enthusiast'' platforms is nothing short of abysmal.

I can't wait for the community to celebrate Intel unlocking all of their CPUs, or the cheers following an actual cooler. At the very least Intel stopped shipping the dead weight with their more expensive CPUs, albeit not at all in a timely manner.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

4 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

14nm++++++ lol

What's so funny?  for all we know Intel's 14nm = 10nm everywhere else.  Their density is certainly better.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Performance is performance. Increasing clock speed and adding cores are ways to increase performance. IPC gains are hard to come by these days so calling IPC the only valid performance metric is a difficult proposition and arguing when Intel should have increased core count is an entirely different debate with no relevance to performance. I suspect Intel increased it now considering the fact they've been stuck on 14nm for a while and their die sizes are already pretty small so it's a very good opportunity to add cores without sacrificing profits while gaining easy performance and easing the wait for their 10nm to get anywhere. Of course credit is due to AMD as well for pressuring Intel and making CFL have a faster time to market.

Agree with that.  AMD have to leverage every little desire in the market in order to to gain sales.   Many people just don't need to upgrade and Intel, like any company, is going to find the cheapest way to stay in front, at the moment that looks like adding more cores to an already superior process. If the roles were reversed AMD would be doing exactly the same thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, MMKing said:

The celebration of mediocrity. The fact that the situation was even acceptable from the 3000 series to the 8000 series speaks volumes about the alleged ''enthusiast'' community. The cooling solution implemented by Intel since the 3000 series up to and including the 8000 series on even the ''high end'' and ''enthusiast'' platforms is nothing short of abysmal.

I can't wait for the community to celebrate Intel unlocking all of their CPUs, or the cheers following an actual cooler. At the very least Intel stopped shipping the dead weight with their more expensive CPUs, albeit not at all in a timely manner.

Still finding it funny that the excuse for not using solder was it affecting the longevity of a CPU (my Pentium 4 540J which was manufactured in 2003 got killed by missing caps-not cracking due to solder), when they still solder their Xeons-which are supposed to be extremely reliable. It was a whole heap of bullshit, and I love being able to pull nearly 200W with my old LGA771 Xeon under a cooler rated for 150W....based around post Sandybridge CPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sandy to today is equal to Core 2 Duo vs Athlon (not even XP!).

Or Athlon (Thunderbird) to Pentium. The 5V/60 and 66MHz ones.

Or 80486 (20 and 25MHz! 33MHz came a Year later) to K6 (166-233MHz) or (almost) Pentium 2 (came a year later)

So yes, it was a century ago...

Where are the 80 core Chips??

Or at least 40 Cores with ~4GHz...

Forgot Beckton??

that one came in 2008 and alredy had 8 Cores/16 Threads and 24MiB L3

Exactly.

But your comperisation is shit, see what I mentioned above ;)

Core 2 Duo was 2006 minus 7 Years equals 1999. That happened to be the year AMD introduced the K7 - with 500MHz and AFAIR up to 750MHz in the Beginning while the Core 2 Duo was released with 2.66GHz

There are also other examples as well...

Most of that is due to increased clockrates and +2 Cores, wich should have happned with 22nm -> Ivy Bridge, Haswell at the Latest.

Take this for example:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=1554

I said 10x performance, not core count or GHz... that is not performance. Performance is measured with metrics like FLOPS, memory bandwidth, FLOPS/W, MIPS, and are tested using various benchmarks like Linpack, HPCG etc. 

Look at the SPARC VIIIfx(2011) compared to the SPARC XIfx(2014) which was an 8x jump in performance in 3 years. Or look at IBMs mainframes or NECs SX architectures. Im not talking about commodity x86 CPUs.

Although x86 does progress much faster in the enterprise space. Xeons rapidly increased core count from 8 to 28 compared to desktop and even HEDT platforms. If you count the Xeon Phi lineup, which is a true CPU that doesnt require a host processor, that brought the core count to 72 in 2016.