Rumour: New Intel chips will have SOLDERED IHS, dropping August 1st

Nicnac
12 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

why does it feel like kaby-lake was the worst time to upgrade my ivy bridge system....just before the generation where they finally moved up from 4 cores.

Well Kaby Lake is still good enough for the next few years so just enjoy it...

I'm still on my Ivy Bridge 3770K. It's been a good match for my R9 290 and they both still do well for 1080p gaming.

I'm glad I held out cause I now I can jump to Ryzen 2 next year.

17 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I think you two need to revise your idea of progress.

Sure, IPC gains are in the 25-35% range over the span of 7 years but plenty of other metrics exist. The benchmarks speak for themselves.

My point is, the rate of improvement is not what it used to be. Look at the gap in performance between the 2700K and a Pentium 4 from 2005.

I've just bought 8700K....

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

18 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

why does it feel like kaby-lake was the worst time to upgrade my ivy bridge system....just before the generation where they finally moved up from 4 cores.

Sigh.

Well at least my ram will be reusable!

It is because we are back to p4 day problems. They have improved the IPC to a degree that very minimal gains can be had going forward, and kaby lakes clock speeds are still right there at the threshold. So the only way to improve a chip once you hit those soft limits is to increase the core count.

18 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

Sigh.

Well at least my ram will be reusable!

Wasnt coffee lake announced on roadmaps by the time kaby lake went on sale?

10 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Wasnt coffee lake announced on roadmaps by the time kaby lake went on sale?

If my memory is correct it wasn't announced as a 6core, but as the amd ryzen came out then they announced that it will be a 6 core/12 thread.

Soldered IHS and using the same socket? Trying to do an AMD are we?

I hope this is true and not a rumour!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Even if the 9th gen comes out I might still buy the 8700k though.

Not completely sure, depends when it comes out, buying my build in August when the Evolv X comes out. Feelsbad though because I'm buying my PC before 9th gen CPUs and 11th gen GPUs, but I doubt it will be that big of a performance gain. I feel people just overhype every gen release.

Will change 1080ti to 1180ti when it comes out though and probably the 8700k to the 9700k at the same time.

I really chose a bad time to build a pc :(

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how Just are we talking about? ._.

I'm not sure that I understand you

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

(sorry my bad ,_,) when did you buy it?

A couple of days ago for 270€

8 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

A couple of days ago for 270€

It's probably fine. 270 is a good deal and it still is a great gaming cpu and I doubt these cpus will offer any significant advantages in gaming. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's probably fine. 270 is a good deal and it still is a great gaming cpu and I doubt these cpus will offer any significant advantages in gaming. 

It's gonna be really interesting to look at the performance of the 8 core, especially in frametimes.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

It's gonna be really interesting to look at the performance of the 8 core, especially in frametimes.

I doubt it will make much of a difference. Dx12 is one of the few things that can take advantage of more than 4 cores and they only scale well up to 6. It's also said that ring bus only scales well to 6 as well so with those 2 combines I doubt the performance difference will be all that different with maybe the 6 core edging out the 8 core if there is added latency for the ring bus with 8 cores. 

52 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I doubt it will make much of a difference. Dx12 is one of the few things that can take advantage of more than 4 cores and they only scale well up to 6. It's also said that ring bus only scales well to 6 as well so with those 2 combines I doubt the performance difference will be all that different with maybe the 6 core edging out the 8 core if there is added latency for the ring bus with 8 cores. 

I really want to see this research of the ring bus vs mesh because they had 22 core parts with multiple ring busses on big Xeons untile Skylake Scalable Xeons.

Finally, Intel chips that clock high without heating up the entire room.

Rather have non-soldered so then I can run direct die cooling.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

What next? All unlocked CPUs? :)

How about competitive prices?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, Granular said:

My point is, the rate of improvement is not what it used to be. Look at the gap in performance between the 2700K and a Pentium 4 from 2005.

I will attribute much of the performance jumps mostly due to how fast we were able to bump up clock speeds rather than straight architectural improvements. There were certainly some architectures were there was a massive improvement, but it was also likely that they came from flawed designs to begin with. Well, flawed when put into practice.

Case in point: when the Pentium III first launched, it had a 500MHz product. Less than a year later, it had a 1GHz product, using the same architecture. That alone is a 200% improvement. If we jump about 10 years between the Core 2 Duo Conroe and Wolfdale, depending on which SKU tier you were looking at, the clock speed bump was 30%-50%. Jump to after Sandy Bridge, and we start seeing clock speed bumps of around 10%-15% or less.

Granted I don't believe clock speed improvements were the sole cause, but I do believe it's a major contributor to improved performance. Also coupled with the lack of any real fundamental architecture improvements, unless someone comes around and starts doing something majorly different, we're pretty much past the point of huge jumps like this unless someone makes another Northwood/Prescott or Bulldozer so we can set the bar pretty low again.

19 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

Finally, Intel chips that clock high without heating up the entire room.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how heat dissipation works. Soldering the heatspreader will increase the amount of heat transfer from the cpu die to the headspreader, and then to your CPU cooler of choice, which in the end increases the amount of heat transfer from your computer to your room.

Poor cooling solutions keep a lot of heat in the hardware. Good cooling solutions transfer all that heat from the hardware and out of the case into the room. Either way, the same amount of thermal energy is being generated and it all has to go somewhere.

6 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

They had soldered IHS with Sandy Bridge... that wasnt that long ago lol

Sandy to today is equal to Core 2 Duo vs Athlon (not even XP!).

Or Athlon (Thunderbird) to Pentium. The 5V/60 and 66MHz ones.

Or 80486 (20 and 25MHz! 33MHz came a Year later) to K6 (166-233MHz) or (almost) Pentium 2 (came a year later)

So yes, it was a century ago...

5 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

For enterprise chips yes. They get a 10x performance increase every 5 years or so. For desktop x86 CPUs, not so much. The difference between an i7-2600K and 6700K was like 25% in 5 years.

Where are the 80 core Chips??

Or at least 40 Cores with ~4GHz...

Forgot Beckton??

that one came in 2008 and alredy had 8 Cores/16 Threads and 24MiB L3

5 hours ago, Granular said:

Exactly.

But your comperisation is shit, see what I mentioned above ;)

Core 2 Duo was 2006 minus 7 Years equals 1999. That happened to be the year AMD introduced the K7 - with 500MHz and AFAIR up to 750MHz in the Beginning while the Core 2 Duo was released with 2.66GHz

There are also other examples as well...

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I think you two need to revise your idea of progress.

Sure, IPC gains are in the 25-35% range over the span of 7 years but plenty of other metrics exist. The benchmarks speak for themselves.

Most of that is due to increased clockrates and +2 Cores, wich should have happned with 22nm -> Ivy Bridge, Haswell at the Latest.

Take this for example:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=1554

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Most of that is due to increased clockrates and +2 Cores, wich should have happned with 22nm -> Ivy Bridge, Haswell at the Latest.

Take this for example:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=1554

Performance is performance. Increasing clock speed and adding cores are ways to increase performance. IPC gains are hard to come by these days so calling IPC the only valid performance metric is a difficult proposition and arguing when Intel should have increased core count is an entirely different debate with no relevance to performance. I suspect Intel increased it now considering the fact they've been stuck on 14nm for a while and their die sizes are already pretty small so it's a very good opportunity to add cores without sacrificing profits while gaining easy performance and easing the wait for their 10nm to get anywhere. Of course credit is due to AMD as well for pressuring Intel and making CFL have a faster time to market.

5 hours ago, MrShinny said:

Even if the 9th gen comes out I might still buy the 8700k though.

Not completely sure, depends when it comes out, buying my build in August when the Evolv X comes out. Feelsbad though because I'm buying my PC before 9th gen CPUs and 11th gen GPUs, but I doubt it will be that big of a performance gain. I feel people just overhype every gen release.

Will change 1080ti to 1180ti when it comes out though and probably the 8700k to the 9700k at the same time.

I really chose a bad time to build a pc :(

No need to change the 8700k it's basically gonna be the same as the 9700k if you delid