Skype to add cross-platform video call recording but there's a catch

AlTech

Skype is adding cross-platform video call recording but there's a catch. The catch is that everybody in the video call will know that you're recording them. :P

Starting this month, Skype users will be able record video calls natively within the Mac and iOS apps. The new cloud-based feature will work with group calls as well as capturing screen sharing.

As reported by The Verge, Microsoft shared more details on the feature and confirmed it will start rolling out across all platforms starting at the end of this month.

The call recording is cloud-based according to the Skype Team.

“Call recording is completely cloud-based, and as soon as you start recording, everyone in the call is notified that the call is being recorded,” explains Microsoft’s Skype team. “Call recordings combine everyone’s video as well as any screens shared during the call.”

There have been some third-party solutions to record Skype calls up to this point, but this marks the first time Microsoft will offer a native option. Apple users in particular have had the option to record Skype or FaceTime calls with QuickTime on Mac or with the screen recording feature that came with iOS 11. However, this will be a welcome update for Skype.

Other features that will come to Skype this summer include a refreshed desktop app that will feature a mobile-style design.

People who want to record Skype calls without others knowing will still need to rely on other solutions.

Cool stuff. :P

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/16/skype-call-recording/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

people still use skype?

any regular person is going to be using something else these days and any business using it has likely been recording anyway and everyone already knows it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

people still use skype?

any regular person is going to be using something else these days

like?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

like?

well depending on the platform

Telegram

Discord

Whatsapp

Facetime

Google Hangouts

ooVoo

Wire

I know more people that use one or more of these than use skype that are not a business.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

like?

Probably FaceTime or discord. I know some people who still use Skype but most just use FaceTime. For just voice everyone I know basically uses discord. 

Ehe, reminds me of when my friend and I would record our skype calls as everyone would just accuse of someone, saying something... 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

nice friend... ;)

No, this was a skype group of 5 people and hissy fits always break out because someone thought someone said something (nothing bad, its just really simple stuff like someone saying the wrong word such as instead of saying 'no', they say 'yes'). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I know more people that use one or more of these than use skype that are not a business.

From my experience, I've seen most businesses use Skype. Just for better compatibility between Windows and MacOS.

What's a Skype?

In all seriousness, I know lots of people use Skype (mainly because it's well known), but just, ugh. It's laggy, lacking in features, has ads, has a shitty interface, etc etc etc. Was a Skype user since 2009, by 2012 I'd grown to hate it and the second I learned about Discord I jumped to it and never looked back. Most contacts I cared about did the same.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Hmm cloud based and everyone knowing so like Twitch clips haha. But ok cool it haves it for those that may come in handy. Aside from other programs. 

I still have Skype cause I tend to use it sometimes for some people and stuff but I mainly us other software. 

Have the latest desktop version for W10 not the included one. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Skype is still very very popular,  I think people here tend to think it's not because the average gamer/tech enthusiast will be using discord, but for 95% of the population they will use what everyone else is using so that will be facetime, instagram and skype.  In fact if my son and his circle of friends is anything too go off then Instagram is still hugely popular in schools.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

No, this was a skype group of 5 people and hissy fits always break out because someone thought someone said something (nothing bad, its just really simple stuff like someone saying the wrong word such as instead of saying 'no', they say 'yes'). 

I was just joking... ;)xD

I think Skype developers must have a constant improvement regarding this matter though they have explained why call recordings notifies everyone during the call. Some improvement to the features of the app may boost the interest and satisfaction of the users. But in my opinion, it sounds good to Skype users particularly to know and secure every activity of the users which can be monitored by sending notifications to everyone. 

I was very upset to find out skype installed itself yesterday on my computer.

I purged that shit out faster than an after taco bell shart. Which is what I think of Skype. I should change my name to SkypeSucks

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 16/07/2018 at 10:51 PM, James Evens said:

Advocates.

It is illegal in Germany and i doubt that they even can make a law that makes this legal. 

Not if you're trying to capture a crime.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 16/07/2018 at 7:09 PM, Arika S said:

people still use skype?

any regular person is going to be using something else these days and any business using it has likely been recording anyway and everyone already knows it

How old are you? Have you ever worked on a big place before?

On professional places Skype is still very strong if not the main tool for many people specially those who do not really care about IMs in general.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

22 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

How old are you? Have you ever worked on a big place before?

On professional places Skype is still very strong if not the main tool for many people specially those who do not really care about IMs in general.

I'm 27 and if by big place you mean a national corporation with around 7000 employees, then yes. And we use cisco video conferencing systems or WebEx depending on the situation. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 7/16/2018 at 6:09 PM, Arika S said:

people still use skype?

The vast majority of "regular people" still use Skype or Facebook Messenger for video calls.

Most of the apps you listed (such as discord) are literally unheard of outside of the tech/gamer crowds.

WhatsApp is pretty popular for IM, but I have no idea how many people use it for video chat.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If somebody is recording my video call, I would like to know about it. Nothing wrong with that feature. 

14 hours ago, avg123 said:

If somebody is recording my video call, I would like to know about it.

Seems a very reasonable request :D