Reinstalling windows 10; some advice needed

asim1999

Hey all,

I have ran into a problem because my X99 system failed due to the motherboard not working and so I am upgrading to treadripper. However, I have not got the licence key for my copy of Windows 10 Pro because I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro

i don’t know what to do, what will happen if I reinstall Windows 10 as I’m afraid it won’t recognise my PC. 

I am reusing everything except CPU amd mobo as the rest of the components work 

what st should I do?

I have a free copy of Windows 10 Education with my uni, should I use that instead?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Providing you are using the same hard drive, you will not have to do anything. It may require reactivation, due to hardware changes, but that will work as the files that control it are on your hard drive.

Also you can use your product key for 8.1 and it will work as a product key for Windows 10 as when you upgraded Microsoft bind the key to Windows 10

So to summarise all you need to do is install your boot drive from your old pc into your new build and you should be good to go.

12 minutes ago, sky_shark_101 said:

Providing you are using the same hard drive, you will not have to do anything. It may require reactivation, due to hardware changes, but that will work as the files that control it are on your hard drive.

Also you can use your product key for 8.1 and it will work as a product key for Windows 10 as when you upgraded Microsoft bind the key to Windows 10

So to summarise all you need to do is install your boot drive from your old pc into your new build and you should be good to go.

I am actually going to install it on a new 250GB Samsung 970 Evo as my boot drive only has 10GB left and is 120GB drive. I have my 8.1 key handy. Am I all set?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

First of all - just plug that drive first, boot, let Windows install all necessary drivers and check if everything works.

Second - if everything works - clone your system to second, bigger SSD using Macrium Reflect (or other program like that - you can find lot of informations on this forum how to do that).

It's really good method - check first yourself, then ask. :)

Was Win8.1 key OEM or retail? 8/.1 OEM keys locked onto mobo and aren't usable on new ones. Unless you are spineless and cry MS support about it. If the key was retail, or if you have it connected to MS account, you can just install Win10 again on new hardware. Then login to MS account or enter Win8.1 key on activation request.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv