After Thai boys were rescued from the cave everyone is happy except Elon Musk (update: Elon apologizes)

spartaman64
8 minutes ago, Velcade said:

what the hell?

Please don't tell me you actually thought that was real. People don't just assume everything they see online is real, right?

2 hours ago, BuckGup said:

People would agree except the whole paypal, SpaceX, and Tesla thing

PayPal wasn't his idea, it was created by 4 other dudes, Musk bought it out 2 years after it was created.

SpaceX, well I guess technically Richard Branson did that first but I will give Musk this one. He's pushed commercial space flight further than anyone thought possible in a short period of time.

Tesla, the electric car dates back to the 1800s so again, it was someone else's idea. Musk merely popularised the idea and made it accessable.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The media has been constantly attacking Elon since he proposed a website where news reporters could be rated after how much fact or fake news they post.

Seems like the campaign has worked pretty well.

Anyway, I totally get where Elon is coming from.

They were asking for help, and he poured a ton of time and money trying to come up with a solution. What did he get in return? A barrage of insults which inevitably got him upset and he fired back at some people.

at the beginning i think pretty much everyone thought elon musk's plan is a nice gesture until he belittled the rescue chief. and then people started questioning his motives

I never really liked Elon Musk, he's very arrogant. He's just a modern day Edison.

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Musk merely popularised the idea and made it accessable.

I think you're dramatically downplaying the work which has gone into what you summarize as "popularized the ideas and made them accessible". Those things are no easy tasks. Not to mention all the countless improvements that his companies has made (and in the case of Tesla, also allowed other manufacturers to use for free).

Video games has been around since 1958. By the same logic, should we say all game developers/creators are jokes who just stole the idea and don't deserve any praise for their accomplishments?

I mean, has Elon ever claimed to have invented the entire concept of space travel or electrical cars? If not, why are you calling him a "fucking joke who steals ideas and claim them as his own"?

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

at the beginning i think pretty much everyone thought elon musk's plan is a nice gesture until he belittled the rescue chief. and then people started questioning his motives

Nope, not even close to true. I recommend you look into the story a bit. Hell, just read the OP and source linked, rather than just the headline.

1) Elon has been attacked for weeks now, even since he said he could help.

2) Even if we ignore all the nasty comments made about Elon by other people long before he started firing back, I recommend you at the very least look at the tweet Elon was responding to. Elon's "pedo tweet" was a response to the diver telling Elon to shove his submarine up his ass, and stop with his PR stunt. Imagine spending millions of dollars, and countless hours trying to save children, just to get told to shove your things up your ass because you're not needed. I would be pretty pissed too.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I think you're dramatically downplaying the work which has gone into what you summarize as "popularized the ideas and made them accessible". Those things are no easy tasks. Not to mention all the countless improvements that his companies has made (and in the case of Tesla, also allowed other manufacturers to use for free).

Video games has been around since 1958. By the same logic, should we say all game developers/creators are jokes who just stole the idea and don't deserve any praise for their accomplishments?

I mean, has Elon ever claimed to have invented the entire concept of space travel or electrical cars? If not, why are you calling him a "fucking joke who steals ideas and claim them as his own"?

Nope, not even close to true. I recommend you look into the story a bit. Hell, just read the OP and source linked, rather than just the headline.

2) Even if we ignore all the nasty comments made about Elon by other people long before he started firing back, I recommend you at the very least look at the tweet Elon was responding to. Elon's "pedo tweet" was a response to the diver telling Elon to shove his submarine up his ass, and stop with his PR stunt. Imagine spending millions of dollars, and countless hours trying to save children, just to get told to shove your things up your ass because you're not needed. I would be pretty pissed too.

the diver's submarine comment was after elon's comment about the rescue chief. and yes probably random people were attacking him but if you aren't prepared for people like that on the internet you shouldnt be on the internet

To be fair he (and his team) came up with the device in a few days to help the children. It would probably be worth a shot too - it's quite a miracle they all got out. It's a shame that we can't see the pod for ourselves and decide. The cave diver could be wrong or musk could be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The rescue dude who said it was a PR stunt and a completely stupid idea? Based on what he said, he would rather see those children dead than Elon saving the day.

i dont think you can make that conclusion. he and many other divers just think that the capsule wont be able to fit and they are not very happy about elon's attack on the rescue chief

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

He claimed to have invented the Hyperloop when it was first suggested in the early 1900s and he claimed to have invented landing rocket boosters when infact they were being tested by the US military in the 70s.

He is the Apple of engineering, he takes other people's ideas, iterates them then sells them as his own inventions.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the diver's submarine comment was after elon's comment about the rescue chief. and yes probably random people were attacking him but if you aren't prepared for people like that on the internet you shouldnt be on the internet

Yes the internet is full of nasty negative shit. But people were attacking him about saving kids lives giving him shit. He had every right to get pissed. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yes the internet is full of nasty negative shit. But people were attacking him about saving kids lives giving him shit. He had every right to get pissed. 

yes he has the right to get pissed but only at the people attacking him. he shouldnt lash out at the rescue chief.

in life there are a few things you never ever do, which include claiming someone is a pedo with no backing, and the same for rape acusations, even a false claim of this type of acusation can ruin a mens life 

Remember Elon Musk had everything handed to him on a silver platter, reused some prexisting thing and tweaked it became a typical dot com success. He is not anything special, people look way too high at him and are saying this is fake lol.. His cars are basically the Beats headphones of electric powered transit. 

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

You're not posting the full story though.

This is what Elon was tweeting a response to:

Emphasis on "called it a PR stunt, and that was the politest thing he said".

The timeline went like this:

1) Thai cave rescuers ask for help.

2) Elon Musk offers to help, and starts spending time and money developing a mini-submarine.

3) Time goes on, development goes on. Rescuers keep asking Elon for help.

4) People start attacking Elon.

4) The kids gets rescued without the mini-sub.

5) Cave rescuer says Elon did it for PR, that he should shove his submarine up his ass, and insults Elon some more.

6) Elon fires back, calling him a pedo for some reason.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

He claimed to have invented the Hyperloop when it was first suggested in the early 1900s and he claimed to have invented landing rocket boosters when infact they were being tested by the US military in the 70s.

He is the Apple of engineering, he takes other people's ideas, iterates them then sells them as his own inventions.

Suggesting something does not mean invent something though. Would you say George Lucas invested lightsabers if they become a reality 50 years from now? Or if George Lucas was not the first one with the idea, whoever suggested it first.

Suggesting something and actually building something are two very different things.

Also, source on him actually saying he came up with the ideas.

But even if he did, my point is that you can't dismiss the accomplishments of his businesses just because he wasn't first. It would be ridiculous to argue that he hasn't played a major role in all three of the areas PayPal, SpaceX and Tesla are involved in. Nto to mention his other companies.

By the way, you are very misleading when you say Elon Musk joined PayPal 2 years after it was founded.

What happened was that Confinity was founded by 4 guys. Confinity then merged with X.com, which was founded by Elon Musk. Those two companies together later became PayPal. Saying that Elon Musk was not part of founding PayPal is a misleading claim at best.

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Yes, I can. Some divers said it wouldn't fit on some passages, but the sub was made accordingly to the measurements made by the divers themselves, the caves map and the divers footage. That's one of the reasons Elon got mad and said that part of his team would stay there to test the thing...

its not a straight forward path and even if it does fit its probably a tight fit and they dont want to be fumbling with it. also its probably a smart call to not rely on something designed in such a short amount of time with little testing

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

5) Cave rescuer says Elon did it for PR, and insults Elon some more (again, calling it PR was the NICEST thing he said).

i mean, this is fucking 0 to 100 right here, "your shit was for pr!" "fuck you pedo"

2) Elon Musk offers to help, and starts spending time and money developing a mini-submarine.

5) Cave rescuer says Elon did it for PR, and insults Elon some more (again, calling it PR was the NICEST thing he said).

7) Rescuer says Elon should shove his submarine up his ass.

Suggesting something does not mean invent something though. Would you say George Lucas invested lightsabers if they become a reality 50 years from now? Or if George Lucas was not the first one with the idea, whoever suggested it first.

Suggesting something and actually building something are two very different things.

Also, source on him actually saying he came up with the ideas.

By the way, you are very misleading when you say Elon Musk joined PayPal 2 years after it was founded.

What happened was that Confinity was founded by 4 guys. Confinity then merged with X.com, which was founded by Elon Musk. Those two companies together later became PayPal. Saying that Elon Musk was not part of founding PayPal is a misleading claim at best.

He sat on the news in America and said Hyperloop was his idea. To be fair afaik he's never said landing rockets are his idea but conversely he's never said they weren't either. He's more than willing to let everyone believe he invented the idea.

As for the PayPal thing, what I said is entirely accurate. Confinity was set up in 1997 and PayPal launched in September 1999, they didn't merge with x.com until March 2000. Musk had NOTHING to do with PayPals creation, by the time he joined PayPal was fully live.

7) Rescuer says Elon should shove his submarine up his ass.

snip

you are missing the part in the timeline where elon fired shots at the rescue chief and dragged the lead diver into it pitting him against his "boss". thats probably where a lot of people's perception of elon's motives in this turned sour. was he being attacked by random people even before that? probably but were they people who are central to the rescue? probably not

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Please don't tell me you actually thought that was real. People don't just assume everything they see online is real, right?

This thread is depressing.

First you have people sowing doubt about something that's fairly obviously true. And then you have people believing stuff that's fairly obviously fake.

43 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

also its probably a smart call to not rely on something designed in such a short amount of time with little testing

Well, the sub was probably not their first choice to begin with, but it was a backup plan that were offered for free.

When inaction has a 100% chance of resulting in the death of people, and other methods aren't working, untested and rushed ways of saving them is worth a shot.

39 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

i mean, this is fucking 0 to 100 right here, "your shit was for pr!" "fuck you pedo"

Yeah, I don't get why Elon went for the pedo claims.

I don't agree that it was 0 to 100 though. Elon was being attacked so he fired back. I don't get why people were insulting him to begin with.

I'd say both sides are in the wrong here, just that Elon chose harsher words when firing back.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

To be fair afaik he's never said landing rockets are his idea but conversely he's never said they weren't either. He's more than willing to let everyone believe he invented the idea.

Holy shit you can't be real. So from now on everyone who suggests something need to also state if it was their idea or not, or else you will interpret it as them saying it was theirs?

You're also missing my point (or ignoring it). Who cares if he came up with the idea or not? Does the future genius who creates a lightsaber deserve ridicule because George Lucas came up with the idea first?

Again, you're downplaying the accomplishments of his businesses for some reason. Even if he says he came up with it, "popularize and make it accessible" are great accomplishments on their own.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As for the PayPal thing, what I said is entirely accurate. Confinity was set up in 1997 and PayPal launched in September 1999, they didn't merge with x.com until March 2000. Musk had NOTHING to do with PayPals creation, by the time he joined PayPal was fully live.

Yes.

Confinity was a company created in December 1998.

Confinity developed a money transfer program called PayPal in late 1999 for the PalmPilot. It used IR ports to "beam" money between devices.

In March 2000, Confinity merged with X.com which took over the backend banking stuff. And then things like sending money through means other than the IR port were developed (such as send money to email addresses).

If you just think of PayPal as some code running locally on your device then you are correct. Elon was not part of the foundation of that. He joined a few months after it launched. However, if you think of PayPal as the service then no, x.com was a massive part of what laid the foundation for what PayPal is today.

Edit:

34 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you are missing the part in the timeline where elon fired shots at the rescue chief and dragged the lead diver into it pitting him against his "boss". thats probably where a lot of people's perception of elon's motives in this turned sour. was he being attacked by random people even before that? probably but were they people who are central to the rescue? probably not

Can you link that? I might have missed it.

By the way, I just double checked and the rescue worker did indeed tell Elon to shove his submarine up his ass BEFORE Elon tweeted back.

This interview where the rescuer told Elon to shove the submarine up his ass is from the 13th.

Elon's tweet about him being a pedo is from the 15th.

I have made this correction in the previous summarization of the events I posted. I would also like to add that literally the first paragraph in your original post says this was the order things happened in.

Elon Musk has called a British diver who helped rescue schoolboys from a flooded cave in Thailand ‘pedo guy’ on Twitter.

The entrepreneur’s outburst came after diver Vern Unsworth told Mr Musk to “stick his submarine where it hurts” after describing his offer to help with a miniature submersible as a “PR stunt”.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, I don't get why Elon went for the pedo claims.

Quite simple. The diver is a British man living in Thailand (for whatever reason). 

If you do that you're obviously either shopping for traps or for children (or both).

Sarcasm may apply where strategically appropriate. 

That's basically the gist of his jab: British man moved to Thailand to exploit children.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Yes, I can. Some divers said it wouldn't fit on some passages, but the sub was made accordingly to the measurements made by the divers themselves, the caves map and the divers footage. That's one of the reasons Elon got mad and said that part of his team would stay there to test the thing...

Working on paper and working in reality are two different things. It be one thing if this was already a project that had through testing, but it's not.

Itmight have worked, but I'm not sure if I or the head of the rescue would want to trust a hastily designed piece of equipment from people (that as far as I am aware never designed submarines or other underwater vehicles) with a bunch of people's lives.

Would you trust a self driving car from a company with no experience in the field before that designed and tested it in a matter of days.

Honestly Elon's whole idea, and if they went with it, and if it worked after regular divers failed.... It sounds too much like some B movie.

The first dude's comment about it being a PR stunt was an unnecessary attack.   Maybe the technology developed will be useful on another rescue mission...who the fuck knows.  Stop hating shit just for existing.

Elon's reply was needless escalation.

Act like fucking adults.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So much immaturity nowadays. We should all just be happy that the team was rescued. Instead, people on both sides are childishly throwing insults at each other. The Seals saved the team, and Musk offered to help. That's where the story should have ended. Why is this even a thing? They both need to grow up. "Stick it where it hurts"? That's really a waste of time - why even say that? "Pedo" - why the false accusation? Both sides are wrong, and need to silence themselves until they calm down...