Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaboonTheWhale

Netgear Nighthawk routers. Worth the price?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys

 

So I was browsing costco and noticed they had 2 different netgear nighthawk routers. 

 

Nighthawk X10 AD7000: $380 

Nighthawk XR500 w/ S8000 network switch: $300 

Nighthawk X6S AC3000: $160 

TP-Link AC3200 Wifi triband router w/ TC-7620 switch: $190 

 

In the world of Streaming from the PC to a TV, Nvidia shield, Steam in home stream. Etc, I was debating on getting a better router coming from the Comcast Rented router as I'm tired of paying their fees. 

 

These prices sound tempting compared to Amazon/newegg/Best Buy. 

 

Are they worth it? I will probably be hardwiring my PC in but will be connected with laptops/tablets/cell phones around the house. The property is about 1/2 Acre. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the size of your house, you might want to go with a mesh system for that price. You can get some good ones like the velop and orbi system. I have a really large house and I use these systems, and I have 500 down and 30 up across my entire house whether I be hardwired or wireless. I purchased the orbi 3-pack from costco. They are hard to set up, but once you get them going the performance is downright amazing. If your house is smaller, I personally would get the tp-link archer c9. I had it in my old house which was much smaller, and the thing delivered full speed and great performance for only $99. It is a lot cheaper than the ones they sell at costco and has really good performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Nighthawk x for a while and the thing was great. No downtime and the thing never got bottlenecked by loads from 5 people in my house and provided rock solid connection throughout my 4 bedroom single story house. It was pricy but it was worth it. However, now I'd just grab an ubiquiti setup for a similar price.


 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey guys

 

So I was browsing costco and noticed they had 2 different netgear nighthawk routers. 

 

Nighthawk X10 AD7000: $380 

Nighthawk XR500 w/ S8000 network switch: $300 

Nighthawk X6S AC3000: $160 

TP-Link AC3200 Wifi triband router w/ TC-7620 switch: $190 

 

In the world of Streaming from the PC to a TV, Nvidia shield, Steam in home stream. Etc, I was debating on getting a better router coming from the Comcast Rented router as I'm tired of paying their fees. 

 

These prices sound tempting compared to Amazon/newegg/Best Buy. 

 

Are they worth it? I will probably be hardwiring my PC in but will be connected with laptops/tablets/cell phones around the house. The property is about 1/2 Acre. 

The first one listed is bull shit. 802.11AD is not worth the money. Very few devices use 60 Ghz and it has about a one room range. Triple band AC routers have 2x 5Ghz radios. I dont think that they are worth it myself. Unless you have older devices that work on the band and you have new deices you can separate them. I have the Synology RT260AC and it works well. Range is good and speeds seem to be good as well. The big thing though comes down to distance between devices and the router and walls. I wlll say this, I have heard Netgear has good networking gear. 

 

Not sure if any of these routers could do a 1/2 acre. Our property is about .2 of an acre and my 5Gh reaches the patio outside and reaches across the street. If you need great coverage outside then you will need out door AP's, if you just looking for okish coverage close to the home then I dont think you will have an issue. 

 

As far as the Comcast box is concerned its a modem as well as a router, so make sure you budget for that. Modem wise I would suggest the SB6183, CM 600 or say fuck it and get a Docsis 3.1 modem that will support up to Comcast's Gigabit tier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The first one listed is bull shit. 802.11AD is not worth the money. Very few devices use 60 Ghz and it has about a one room range. Triple band AC routers have 2x 5Ghz radios. I dont think that they are worth it myself. Unless you have older devices that work on the band and you have new deices you can separate them. I have the Synology RT260AC and it works well. Range is good and speeds seem to be good as well. The big thing though comes down to distance between devices and the router and walls. I wlll say this, I have heard Netgear has good networking gear. 

 

Not sure if any of these routers could do a 1/2 acre. Our property is about .2 of an acre and my 5Gh reaches the patio outside and reaches across the street. If you need great coverage outside then you will need out door AP's, if you just looking for okish coverage close to the home then I dont think you will have an issue. 

 

As far as the Comcast box is concerned its a modem as well as a router, so make sure you budget for that. Modem wise I would suggest the SB6183, CM 600 or say fuck it and get a Docsis 3.1 modem that will support up to Comcast's Gigabit tier. 

One reason we have kept this comcast box for so long is because it has phone jacks in it and apparently comcast has told my father that "you need to plug your phone into the modem to use the landline." which sounds odd to me but im no networking guy. Need a landline for family overseas who are too old to adapt to skype and whatnot. I'm having a difficult time finding a decent modem with that on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

One reason we have kept this comcast box for so long is because it has phone jacks in it and apparently comcast has told my father that "you need to plug your phone into the modem to use the landline." which sounds odd to me but im no networking guy. Need a landline for family overseas who are too old to adapt to skype and whatnot. I'm having a difficult time finding a decent modem with that on it.

Yeah, its an eMTA. It does the voice services. While you can buy one, Comcast makes a bitch to activate and such. There is only like one eMTA that is allowed retail wise. You can have Comcast put it in to bridge mode, if it has a router built it, which most likely it does. In bridge mode it turns off the router portion making it in to a modem. Then you can buy what router you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×