Need help confirming if GPU is dead

Hello, so I was gaming on my PC one night, shut down down just fine that night, came back the next night and my PC wouldn't start up. All fans and lights would come on for a split second then it would go off, I would have to turn off and on my PSU to try again and the same thing would happen. I started troubleshooting.

1. Checked every single wire (including the 24 pin and secondary CPU power cable) no luck
2. Did a bread board build on a box, motherboard, CPU, psu booted just fine, added ram one by 1, booted fine, added graphics card and the same issue occurred.
3. I swapped out the PSU thinking maybe there is a power issue, no luck.
4. I didn't have an extra motherboard to test it on so I took the video card and put it in my GF's PC and it did not boot with my GPU.
5. I reset my CMOS BIOS on my bread board build but with no success.

It's a MSI 1080, I lightly overclocked it lightly before but ran it at stock most of the time, highest temperature ever recorded was 72c.

At this point is my graphics card dead? Is there anything else I can try? Is there anything I can do to try to fix it, like open up the GPU and check anything?

i mean it looks dead, since everything works without the gpu and the gpu doesnt work in other system...

RMA if you can

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

9 minutes ago, CallMeSynergy said:

Hello, so I was gaming on my PC one night, shut down down just fine that night, came back the next night and my PC wouldn't start up. All fans and lights would come on for a split second then it would go off, I would have to turn off and on my PSU to try again and the same thing would happen. I started troubleshooting.

1. Checked every single wire (including the 24 pin and secondary CPU power cable) no luck
2. Did a bread board build on a box, motherboard, CPU, psu booted just fine, added ram one by 1, booted fine, added graphics card and the same issue occurred.
3. I swapped out the PSU thinking maybe there is a power issue, no luck.
4. I didn't have an extra motherboard to test it on so I took the video card and put it in my GF's PC and it did not boot with my GPU.
5. I reset my CMOS BIOS on my bread board build but with no success.

It's a MSI 1080, I lightly overclocked it lightly before but ran it at stock most of the time, highest temperature ever recorded was 72c.

At this point is my graphics card dead? Is there anything else I can try? Is there anything I can do to try to fix it, like open up the GPU and check anything?

Welcome to the LTT forums! Have you done anything to harm the GPU warranty stickers such as remove the cooler or the like? Because it sounds like you have a dead GPU, and MSI has a 3 year warranty on all of their GPUs. The only 100% certain way to tell is to grab another GPU and check if it works other ways another way to narrow it down would be to reset the BIOS (if you have an Intel system or a system with an IGPU) and then plug your monitor into your MOBO and see if that works. Otherwise it sounds like your card has a short.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

30 minutes ago, Neftex said:

i mean it looks dead, since everything works without the gpu and the gpu doesnt work in other system...

RMA if you can

Thanks, never did a RMA, I will get my product # and go on the MSI website and check it out.

26 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! Have you done anything to harm the GPU warranty stickers such as remove the cooler or the like? Because it sounds like you have a dead GPU, and MSI has a 3 year warranty on all of their GPUs. The only 100% certain way to tell is to grab another GPU and check if it works other ways another way to narrow it down would be to reset the BIOS (if you have an Intel system or a system with an IGPU) and then plug your monitor into your MOBO and see if that works. Otherwise it sounds like your card has a short.

Okay, it works without the GPU and plugged into the motherboard. I will test my GF's 660 TI on my mobo though. Thanks!

2 hours ago, CallMeSynergy said:

Okay, it works without the GPU and plugged into the motherboard. I will test my GF's 660 TI on my mobo though. Thanks!

Your welcome! From here on I would contact MSI customer support, (which is notoriously bad... Good Luck!) and then send it in for them to take a look at it. At least that is if all the warranty stickers are undamaged, and if the rest of the card is in decent shape.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

9 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Your welcome! From here on I would contact MSI customer support, (which is notoriously bad... Good Luck!) and then send it in for them to take a look at it. At least that is if all the warranty stickers are undamaged, and if the rest of the card is in decent shape.

They accepted the RMA, going to mail it in today. Not a single scratch or anything, so I have high hopes. I really try to take good care of my parts, this dead GPU surprised me.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:00 AM, CallMeSynergy said:

They accepted the RMA, going to mail it in today. Not a single scratch or anything, so I have high hopes. I really try to take good care of my parts, this dead GPU surprised me.

Alright! Good luck!