PS2 Slim: disc spins up but won't go past Sony intro [video]

Hi peeps,

I was wondering if someone is able to help me. I'm trying to get my old PS2 Slim back up and running, but I'm having some issues. I am using the 3-point sensor blocking trick, as I am using SwapMagic 3.6 (DVD).

This is the current behaviour, also see the video at the bottom:

1. Push power button, turns on

2. Disc spins up, laser moves towards disc motor

2a. Sony Computer Entertainment logo/intro plays, with sound

3. Laser moves towards outer edge of disc

4. Disc keeps spinning at a low rate

4a. Black screen, does not load anymore

This happens with all types of DVD/Playstation 2 discs that always used to work (both legal and illegal copies).

Things I've tried:

- Rearranging the sensor-blocking objects (they appear to be in the correct position, as moving it will stop the disc from spinning which means incorrect placement)

- Cleaning laser lens with alcohol

- Different disc rotation setting (fast vs. normal)

- Different inputs and signal input cable type (RGB/RWY cables with and without adapter to SCART)

- Different discs

- Diagnostic mode (but that didn't do anything, not in the way it should work that is)

- Trying to find similar posts/problems/topics, but none really seemed like that had the same situation

It appears the gaphics part works fine, and it looks like it is probably able to read with the laser as well (laser positioning motor also looks to be working fine).

I'm not getting the famous "Disc Read Error" line.

Last time it properly worked was probably 8 years ago.

It has been stored properly in working condition, disconnected from any power and signal cables and fairly free of dust and also has not been moved/bumped into in that time frame.

I hope some of you are able to help me, or guide/link me in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to playing some (at least for me) nostalgic games.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

JB

That was the moment my PS2 died. I think you will have to change the lense eye. As far as I know there is no other way to repair it. I might be wrong!

On 7/15/2018 at 1:23 PM, jellybutt said:

This happens with all types of DVD/Playstation 2 discs that always used to work (both legal and illegal copies).

This indicates the laser in your PS2 is burnt out. How can I tell? We've replace the laser in our PS2 slim twice, and have since resorted to using FreeMcBoot to play backups of games we have physical copies of to keep things legal. Unfortunately, if I recall Sony cheaped out on the laser diode in the slimline PS2's, where as I have a friend with a phat PS2 that still reads discs.

I recommend you look into using FreeMcBoot to play backups of games from an external hard drive. Note that not all games will run properly off an HDD, either due to there not being enough bandwidth on the USB1.1 ports or because of copy protection being decently good enough to prevent the games from running this way.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

56 minutes ago, kirashi said:

This indicates the laser in your PS2 is burnt out. How can I tell? We've replace the laser in our PS2 slim twice, and have since resorted to using FreeMcBoot to play backups of games we have physical copies of to keep things legal. Unfortunately, if I recall Sony cheaped out on the laser diode in the slimline PS2's, where as I have a friend with a phat PS2 that still reads discs.

I recommend you look into using FreeMcBoot to play backups of games from an external hard drive. Note that not all games will run properly off an HDD, either due to there not being enough bandwidth on the USB1.1 ports or because of copy protection being decently good enough to prevent the games from running this way.

Only some models of fat are decent. SCPH-39001 are supposed to have long usable lives while SCPH-30001 are supposed to have been ticking time bombs from the moment they released.

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

[...]

13 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

[...]

Thanks for the replies.

I will look into FreeMcBoot, and if my model is compatible with it. I reckon I can still use the safefiles of my games on my memory card with this method?

Also, any suggestions on where to get digital copies of the games (I already own) to put on the HDD?

But let's say I'd like to repair it, what parts would I need for this?

Also, I've read something about increasing the laser's strength by adjusting the little POT-screw. Would you recommend trying that first, before I dive into repairing or FreeMcBoot?

And just a thought, but would it not be possible to use the ethernet port as data connection instead of the USB?

8 hours ago, jellybutt said:

Also, any suggestions on where to get digital copies of the games (I already own) to put on the HDD?

Yes - use something like IMGBurn to make backup copies of your PS2 discs on a computer, after checking the legality of this with your local laws, of course. Then you can play them off a storage drive, or try booting them off the network, but honestly I've never had any success with this, nor has USB 1.1 given me enough issues to justify spending more time trying to mount the ISO over the network.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 7/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, kirashi said:

I've rather had quite the opposite experience. My fat PS2 had the laser die within a few years (games wouldn't load at all, throwing up read errors instead) My Slim (70012) I bought used 10 years ago is still going. Will probably replace the laser assembly soon anyway as the ribbon cable had started to score a couple discs. Folded it back down for a temporary fix though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I did once have a later PS2 Slim that I had done the disc swap mod to play burned PS1 games (used it to play ONE burned game which I wound up buying a legit copy shortly after). It actually stopped reading PS2 discs shortly after the mod. I took the thing apart, removed all traces of the "mod" and put it back together. It worked after that. I got rid of that one as I had an earlier Slim that had proven to be more reliable.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:15 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

I've rather had quite the opposite experience. My fat PS2 had the laser die within a few years (games wouldn't load at all, throwing up read errors instead) My Slim (70012) I bought used 10 years ago is still going. Will probably replace the laser assembly soon anyway as the ribbon cable had started to score a couple discs. Folded it back down for a temporary fix though.

That's basically my experience.

Early Slims were more reliable but seemed to have a problem with ribbon cables scratching discs, especially if the system was left stored too long with the laser assembly out of its normal resting position. Later Slims had a lot of cost cutting that made them less reliable. The 700XX machines are supposedly the best which is the one I have. It did once have the disc scratching problem. I bought a new ribbon cable but never used it as I was able to fix mine by just re-adjusting the original and then leaving it in the proper rest position for an extended period. I will point out that while it does still load games OK for now, it has trouble reading DVDs. I had randomly bought a PS2 DVD remote (I mean, why not?) and while testing, I had noticed my PS2 stumbling a lot on certain DVDs that my DVD player, PS3s, and PS4s didn't have problems with (I'm talking super clean, little to no scratches discs). I may need to replace my laser assembly soon, or it may just need cleaning.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:15 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

[...]

I've got a 70004. I'm going to open it up first and measure the resistance on the CD and DVD POT's. After that, I'll try to adjust it (if possible within the limits) to see if that will work.

If not, I'll probably replace it with a new laser module. Kinda hard to find one though, have only found foreign webshops so far.

EDIT: additional information of potential causes and solutions for those facing similar PS2 Slim behaviours. Accumulation of tips and tricks to try and solve this, somewhat ranking from easy to hard:

- Clean laser lens with cotton swab and isopropyl/cleaning alcohol (careful, don't use a completely saturated and dripping cotton swab with alcohol);

- Verify if laser works (in my case, I could see it turn on and shine through thin discs);

- Make sure the DVD or CD actually works (verify with other readers);

- Different disc rotation setting (fast vs. normal);

- Different inputs and signal input cable type (RGB/RWY cables with and without adapter to SCART);

- Diagnostic mode (if that works for you, didn't do anything useful/related for me);

- Clean PS2 (dust, hairs etc);

- Clean (and lubricate with appropriate oil if needed) laser head positioning mechanism;

- If applicable, check if any modifications that allow you to play bootleg games are still in order.

Physically changing hardware components:

- In case of replacement laser head unit, check if a anti-static solder bridge is on it. Check online for the correct(!) location of that solder blob for your model (please verify, some models have multiple that should NOT be removed). For the PS2 Slim, please refer to this video for a visual aid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtBPaxlLY0

- Rule out a faulty or insufficiently functioning power supply by testing a different / new one (Mike NKT);

- Adjust potentiometers on underside of the laser PCB (careful with disconnecting the ribbon cables and handle parts with care). First consult forums, videos or other online sources on how to change it and what values you should stay within (most sources state you should stay above ±720 ohm). I changed mine from DVD:860 to DVD:750.

- Change out laser unit/PCB;

- Change out disc spindle motor (I haven't found a way to verify its operating within spec, i.e. I don't know what to measure and what the values should be);

- Change ribbon cables;

- Change out the entire disc tray (motor, spindle, frame etc.); You can find most on AliExpress for acceptable prices, just check what parts you need when ordering.

- Check SMD fuses on the main PCB (see below for source on values for each board type).

- "Another thing that might be the problem is some leftover solder from a modchip being installed and then removed by someone else and they didn't clean up the old solder and it's short circuiting itself." - D. Wade

More information:

Followup of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S26ELjSN6qs

PS2-home forum: https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2779
PS2-home PCB layouts: https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1376
PS2-home where to get SMD fuses: https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20729#p20729

Edited by jellybutt
Added information

• 1 year later...

It has been a while, but I decided to follow this up. I measured and adjusted the POT's (original CD:330, DVD: 860) between their min and max values as indicated in many threads online as long as you stay above ±720 ohm, (weirdly enough mine came with the very low aforementioned CD value from the factory), but no result. I also checked the entire disc component on loose pieces and rods, and cleaned the guide rod. I ordered a new laserhead via AliEx.

At first the AliEx laser did not turn on (AliE CD:647, DVD: 685) and consequently, the disc would not spin. The automatic adjustment of the laser height did work. The old, original laser unit did give off a laser light, so the cable is not broken. I tried re-adjusting the ribbon cable in the clamp on the laser unit, but nothing seemed to work. The disc did spin with the old, original laser unit, because that one still works (to some degree).

For some reason, the laser started working later on (2 days?). Nothing was changed. However, it still did not read anything off a CD or DVD, so there is still something wrong. I have made two additional videos. The first video contains CD and DVD testing, as well as a last shot of the laser working.

The second video shows something weird happening with a DVD. It almost looks like it wants to start reading files from the DVD, but is having an error and keeps looping from bumping (homing?) to the disc motor. At first I thought I did not hold down the lid switches enough, but that was not the case. It also does not occur everytime.

There is still and issue with reading files I think. The fact that the laser unit works says nothing, as the old original unit also works, but does not read files off the DVD as well. I have no idea what could cause this. The dics motor seems fine (it does seem to spin a bit 'underpowered' sometimes, see video #1 at 02:25), laser motor works, laser head seems fine, graphics processor works, input/output works. I could not find a board schematic or something like that, so I don't know how and what to measure and test besides the laser POT's.

Maybe someone has a new idea to add to this, or someone else with similar issues can find a solution that works for them in one of the mentioned fixes.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I've been having this exact issue myself and I believe I have figured it out....I was messing with the white gear wheel that raises and lowers the laser platform (not sure the technical term) and I started testing it by starting in the middle of the wheel (I turned the dial until it was in the lowest position then counted how many teeth were on the wheel then just started at the halfway point). From messing around with it I found out that I had to click it 4 times past the middle (raising the laser) and then it started up the game I was trying to load (gh2)....haven't tested other games yet but I have tested that game by shutting off my system and starting it back up. I hope this helps you because it helped me. (I made this acct just to post this reply XD)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 11:16 PM, Icedemon930 said:

[...]

Thank you for your addition. Are you able to provide a picture of the exact component you are talking about? I might give it a go once I know what you mean.

EDIT: The 'white gear wheel' that is referred to is part of a FAT PS2 disc tray and laser unit, it is not present in the Slim edition. Therefore, the abovementioned suggestion does not apply to the Slim variant. More info: