WIndows 10 Activation Problem

Hiho,

I installed a new motherboard yesterday, formatted the hard drive. Now Windows 10 tells me I don't have a valid license.
I have tried using Troubleshooting. Here I select that I have recently upgraded the hardware, then get redirected to a page where I can select to reactivate Windows 10 by checking off "This is the unit I am using". When I try to reactivate it tells me it's not possible to reactivate on this unit and that I should try again later. How can I fix this?

Thanks!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
There's the article on reactivation.

Your best option, though you'll likely want to pull your hair out after doing so, is going to be to contact customer support. Reactivation of Windows has been sketchy at best with Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I upgraded to Windows 10 for free from a 8.1 license key a couple of years back.
I just found the old key (which differs from the Windows 10 license key I was given after upgrading). I have managed to register by using that instead.

How do I mark a topic as solved? *rookie*

Underneath any of the posts on this topic, there should be a little check mark ( ✔ ), that'll mark whatever post it was under as the answer.

It's not necessary, however.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

And again on this forum - main problem is that someone replace hardware and install system again. Why you just don't plug your drive with installed system into new mb? Less work, less problems, better effect.

1 hour ago, Semper said:

Underneath any of the posts on this topic, there should be a little check mark ( ✔ ), that'll mark whatever post it was under as the answer.

It's not necessary, however.

Gotcha, thanks!

22 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And again on this forum - main problem is that someone replace hardware and install system again. Why you just don't plug your drive with installed system into new mb? Less work, less problems, better effect.

I have read several places it's a good idea to do a clean install when installing a new motherboard due to potential software issues..

24 minutes ago, Mark J. said:

I have read several places it's a good idea to do a clean install when installing a new motherboard due to potential software issues..

It's mostly suggestion by people who knows only this method. Or just a myth repeated by unexperienced users. I clone LOT of windows and adapt to so different hardware and never has serious problems. In rare cases small useful tools helps me to adapt system to completely dissimilar hardware. Even without that some clone software has that option, but in most cases you don't need it. Most important - it's always easier to just try to boot your old system and check than install everything from zero. Unless you have plenty of time and it's your hobby. :)

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

With activation issue would be same. It would still loose activation and refuse to activate again as key isn't matching hardware specs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Call Windows Activation support and explain it. IN THE EU they have to do it. So mention your from EU and they will reset the count

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I agree, but it will be problem ONLY with activation

Alternatively, to activate Windows by phone, open Run box, type slui.exe 4 to open up a box that will let you activate your Windows via the telephone.

Then call the Number on your screen have Product Key And ID and they will sort it out. This is due to hardware change therefore Must be done By Phone :)

Hope it helps