Not so She-Ra. Bastardization of the 80s continues.

MoonSpot

With all the half assed reboots of all things 80s going on, and the degree to how piss poor most of them are in comparison to their originals.  This one brings a sinister perverse joy to my heart.

My older sister was a HUGE She-Ra fan, and this is going to send her into a raving frenzy.  I caught wind that they were going to reboot She-Ra and told her; since then she's been 'coaching' her daughter on how awesome, and pretty and 'so totally great' She-ra is.  My niece is fairly excited for it now.

However....

What she'ra used to look like.  Not bad, always had to admit that.

she-ra-1513164266262_1280w.jpg

What she(?) is going to look like.

pfffffff Bwahahaha

G-VTPZOSNeVXCf4xddrmkcmlpkfB6Ra5VX9XsP8d

I'm so oddly happy that girls aren't going to be spared these travesties that have relentlessly been inflicted on boys from the mid 80s.  Especially since my sister told both my brother in-law and I to 'grow up' when we were harping about the shows we used to love being drag through the mud.

Eat shit Emily >:p It's your turn now!

Frankly, the new image has a markedly different animation style. That's not bad per se, just different.

I would wait until the show actually airs before declaring that it has ruined your childhood (or your sisters).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It looks like they're just going for an '80s anime style, which would explain the difference in apperance. 

Honestly, the rebooted She-Ra doesn't look too different from Kurumi from Robbie the Rascal.  

The only only thing surprising here is that Jem and the Holograms got a reboot before She-Ra did. 

Maybe it has to do with the travesty that was Master of the Universe.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Frankly, the new image has a markedly different animation style. That's not bad per se, just different.

I would wait until the show actually airs before declaring that it has ruined your childhood (or your sisters).

Its fair to wait for the show, absolutely.  At least for the story telling part anyways.

As for the art that we see thus far, when stacked up to its predecessor it is bad, if for no other reason than it looks like garbage.

It's not like the old she-ra and he-man were masterful works of art or anything, but they were good for the most part.

I wouldn't go soo far as to say ruin childhoods, but its sad to think if we ever want to have animation thats worth a damn we'd have to drag old people out of their retirement homes and drop them at a desk to get a half decent approximation.

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

It looks like they're just going for an '80s anime style, which would explain the difference in apperance. 

Honestly, the rebooted She-Ra doesn't look too different from Kurumi from Robbie the Rascal

Your optometrist is an asshole :P .  Sure Robbie Rascal, astro-boy, robo-tech, dragon ball etc. have similar looks to them, but you'd be reaching pretty far to place that she-ra in their fold.  There are a number of '80s styles', and good grief did they pick the worst one to emulate for this IP(if that is even what they're doing, which I doubt).

Example of another '80s style' anime

daggerofkamui_shot25.jpg

daggerofkamui_shot32.jpg

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

IMaybe it has to do with the travesty that was Master of the Universe.

Ugh >.<!

We never speak of that again, agreed?

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Your optometrist is an asshole :P .  Sure Robbie Rascal, astro-boy, robo-tech, dragon ball etc. have similar looks to them, but you'd be reaching pretty far place that she-ra in their fold.  There are a number of '80s styles', and good grief did they pick the worst one to emulate for this IP(if that is even what they're doing, which I doubt).

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to say it looked good. It honestly looks rather cheap. 

That's also why I picked Robbie the Rascal as the example, since it was extremely cheaply produced (or at least I remember it as such). 

It has the look of an anime where it's obvious that all the characters are based on the same base model. 

8 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Ugh >.<!

We never speak of that again, agreed?

If we can agree to one thing, then I'll let this one be it. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes