Using phone as 512GB Game Drive - WE FAILED

nicklmg
6 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy uSD cards on Amazon: http://geni.us/1daOgOA

10/10 great concept. I'd love for it to work, but then again phones are so propreitary that it makes sense that they failed. I don't use my phones storage for anything anyway so having games on it would be lit

On my old Samsung Galaxy S2, I had the option to mount the internal memory and µSD card as external drives. I can also do it with the internal storage of my Oneplus One. So it is defintaly possible. There is an option in the "Developer Options" menu (that you have to enable first) where you can select how the phone mounts its storage when it's plugged. Also useful to default to "charge only", so you can worry less about where you plug your phone to charge it.
However, I must add that both phones are rooted and are using CyanogenMod/LineageOS, so it might not be possible on stock ROMs. (Developer options are accessible on non-rooted devices and all ROMs though).

Edited by Black3v3r
Add details

Theres really no need for an SD card for the average user anyway tbh. 

Bought this card a while back on ebay for about 50 € and it seems to work, though it's quite slow.

MVIMG_20180715_021527.jpg

I've had this type of thing work with a (rooted) phone and an app called DriveDroid which allowed you to mount .img files and make the kernel act as a normal USB guest storage device

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

Ummm my steam Library would eat that thing alive and would demand multiple more servings after the first course...

Also why not copy over the files after creating the steam folder and doing it that way (there are guides)

My suggestion is use the adapter and put it into a SLR and test how well it really preforms xD

Bought this card a while back on ebay for about 50 € and it seems to work, though it's quite slow.

It's likely a memory hacked one... I'd toss it before it eats your data.

8 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

I've had this type of thing work with a (rooted) phone and an app called DriveDroid which allowed you to mount .img files and make the kernel act as a normal USB guest storage device

I've got that app on my S7 Edge right now, it came bundled with the Kali Nethunter zip I downloaded.

Hopefully they see this and potentially give it another go.

Screenshot_20180715-010446.jpg

It's available on the Play Store and works without having to sideload it, it just needs root to work AFAIK (I haven't tried it without root so I don't actually know, but since it does things with the kernel I'm assuming it would require it)

Screenshot_20180715-011531.thumb.png.12ac81791e92fd62d5351a5e365fa28e.png

8 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

It's available on the Play Store and works without having to sideload it, it just needs root to work AFAIK (I haven't tried it without root so I don't actually know, but since it does things with the kernel I'm assuming it would require it)

Yeah, one of the first steps is checking for root permissions. 

"I can't assign filesystem for external drive to my Operating system".. Let's use 3rd party apps and hours of work to maybe make it work.

- Windows peasant confirmed

Yup, Drivedroid is what I know once worked on my old phone. Haven't tried it for 2 years, but I'd suppose it works.

Lol the first thing that came up in my mind was drivedroid. I used it a while ago on my s3neo and remember it pretty well as it needed a kernel patch I had to port to my device for the app. But idk if the app is still compatible with the 4.4 kernel the s8/s9 has....

I'm gonna try out on my s8 and report here if it still does.

4 hours ago, KostWarCZE said:

"I can't assign filesystem for external drive to my Operating system".. Let's use 3rd party apps and hours of work to maybe make it work.

- Windows peasant confirmed

Linux and Mac won't be able to do it either as modern Android (older versions of Android does support it) doesn't (officially) support mounting a directory as a proper removable storage device (only either MTP or PTP)

EDIT: You might be able to do it via a FUSE/GVFS filesystem but I don't know if steam would be happy about that

1 hour ago, Lenox41 said:

The realistic usecase is for the cheap laptops which have 32GB memory, but the price of the SD card is almoust or is the same as the laptop. Would be usefull for storing movies or some old games, but because of the price its useless :/

That microSD card literally cost as much as my laptop (Asus X205TA) xD

Most phones I've used in a while support DriveDroid natively - a Lenovo Zuk Z2, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, and a Moto E (2nd gen 4G) could all use DriveDroid with the stock kernel if I just gave them root. So even if you're not willing to rebuild and flash a custom boot.img it may be worth a try.

39 minutes ago, PythonLimited said:

10 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy uSD cards on Amazon: http://geni.us/1daOgOA

You should try DriveDroid, but:
- it requires root access on the device (the simplest way to root is Magisk, and you should try with the latest beta, since it has some fixes for S9/S9+)
- it makes you create a disk image, but it will be mounted as an external drive (i.e. a flash drive), so the process of getting Steam to download stuff there will be even simpler

If you want to try doing that again, have my two cents here.

It will not work.... I'm pretty shure that you didn't format the micro sd card as NTFS file system....

If you leave it as fat 32 it will not accept files bigger than 4 GB.

I'm a nobb into this but you didn't say in your video about specific formatting, but you actually sed about not copying certain amount of file size.... ????

I would have liked to have seen the SD card inserted in to a card reader and used simply as a removable storage device without introducing the complications of using it in a phone. Would have been interesting to see how games would perform and crucially load times when they are installed on a MicroSD device and whether or not you would be able to achieve something 'playable' or if the read rate would be simply too slow to load textures and assets properly.

Also, in regards to the SD card taking 9 hours to fill up due to its write speeds, while an interesting observation, I don't think that is an actual issue.
The vast majority of users won't get a 512GB SD card and decide to fill it to capacity immediately. In the use case of using it as expandable storage in a phone, that capacity will be filled up slowly over the life of the phone as users take photos, record video, or save songs or movies to their device. It will just be to future proof against the "Oh no I have to delete some photos as I'm running out of space" issue, and the entirety of the capacity will likely not be used by most users, or if it is, will slowly be added to periodically over a long period of time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

According to some guy on the internet, Android used to have the ability to let your phone act as a USB Mass Storage Device. Unfortunately, this feature was removed after Android 4.0+. So, I think the only way to use your phone as a USB MSD, is via root apps. Besides, as Linus pointed out in the video, just use a SD card reader that's fast enough if you want to have games or whatever on something that small.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

One step closer to my idea owo

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately