Opinions on this GTX 770?

charlezprice

Hi! So my next video card purchase is a GTX 770. My question is should I get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130922

I know the Reference EVGA version is out of stock on Newegg, but I will be getting that version for $300.

I am also a bit pressed about power draw, and am worried that the Windforce will draw too much, as I only have 600w. The EVGA version is also a bit better looking, I just don't know which will deliver better performance.

More fans = more cooling = more overclocking = more performance.

A decent 600w psu is more than enough for a 770.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They will perform nearly identically with a couple percent for margins of error, I would get the Gigabyte because it will be cooler and quieter than the reference design and will allow you to overclock it higher. Don't worry 600w is enough.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Why do you want the EVGA reference. I have the super clocked 780 and is great

probably will sound like a fanboy, but i love evga. i can assure you they have the best customer service of all the other manufacturers.

also the evga one will perform better, since it is pre-overclocked to the max.

Edit: get this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130946

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Get the Windforce no doubt about that.

Interested in Business and Technology

with any single gpu system, you wont exceed 500 W. Gigabyte cards seem to be always just insanely high clocked for their price, and therefore deliver great performance/dollar. Even if the Evga was in stock, Id pick the gigabyte.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

The GTX 770 Windforce is one amazingly good card. I have one, and it's quiet, cool and overclocks nicely. A 600W PSU is sufficient, as you can see from my signature.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Why do you want the EVGA reference. I have the super clocked 780 and is great

It also depends on the system your putting it into. The Windforce will need some decent airflow to run well unlike the reference one that will exhaust out the back. If your system doesn't have direct airflow/ exhaust from the gpu or your not sure its always safe to go with a reference design. 

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

The GTX 770 Windforce is one amazingly good card. I have one, and it's quiet, cool and overclocks nicely. A 600W PSU is sufficient, as you can see from my signature.

Well, that's reassuring, I have yet to come communicate directly with someone using that setup, so thanks! :)

I think you should get the Gigabyte version of the 770. Because it has 3 fans resulting in a quieter system while at the same time providing a decent amount of airflow toward the card. This allows the card to be pushed slightly higher with overclocks. So yea.....

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Well, that's reassuring, I have yet to come communicate directly with someone using that setup, so thanks! :)

No problem! :)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It also depends on the system your putting it into. The Windforce will need some decent airflow to run well unlike the reference one that will exhaust out the back. If your system doesn't have direct airflow/ exhaust from the gpu or your not sure its always safe to go with a reference design.

Oh I'm not really knowledgeable on coolers I didn't know that but why one reference one not

Oh I'm not really knowledgeable on coolers I didn't know that but why one reference one not

reference usually means that the cooler sucks air through a impeller and blows it out of the case. Non- reference usually means that it has a fan blowing down on it and exhausting in all directions; making it bad for small cases with little airflow.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

reference usually means that the cooler sucks air through a impeller and blows it out of the case. Non- reference usually means that it has a fan blowing down on it and exhausting in all directions; making it bad for small cases with little airflow.

Thats partially right, Reference is essentially the base model for the other companies to build their own cards from, so the control. Non-reference is when a board partner like Asus, for example, makes their own PCB and change up what they have on the card such as more RAM or better power delivery. The blower style cooler is cheap so that's why AMD and Nvidia just put it on there and the other companies have their own custom aftermarket cooler.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360