First ever driverless race car to climb Goodwood hill

Roborace is a series designed for artificial intelligence by the same people doing Formula E. The "cars" will be guided by software and will compete without drivers. Nvidia takes a big part on this as a key partner and this is the first time ever for a driveless car on the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Personally I love motorsport, especially F1, WRC and Dakar. The roars and smells on a racetrack are unmatched, but I think it's a mistake to try to compare autonomous electric car racing with traditional motorsport. It's something completely different, a different concept. It remains to see how it goes, I'll give it a chance.

Roborace site: https://roborace.com/

Sources: https://newatlas.com/roborace-robocar-hill-climb-goodwood-video/55456/

AKA Link0712 on Twitch/WAN Show

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Electric motors just do not compare to the wonderful roar of an internal combustion engine.

While I love the sounds of a good V-8/V-10, they cant come close to touching performance of an electric.

31 minutes ago, Link81 said:

Roborace is a series designed for artificial intelligence by the same people doing Formula E. The "cars" will be guided by software and will compete without drivers. Nvidia takes a big part on this as a key partner and this is the first time ever for a driveless car on the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Cmon little guy, go faster! 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

While I love the sounds of a good V-8/V-10, they cant come close to touching performance of an electric.

Agreed and I wouldn't mind getting an electric car for commuting, but I'm just not a fan of electric motor whine. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Cmon little guy, go faster! 

Hehe, I think the developers are programming the guy to just stay on the track and not crash.

1 minute ago, Link81 said:

Hehe, I think the developers are programming the guy to just stay on the track and not crash.

Yeah this was mostly likely a first run around the track. Hence the slow speed, but still

AS my car friends would say "Fuckin send it!"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

33 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Agreed and I wouldn't mind getting an electric car for commuting, but I'm just not a fan of electric motor whine. 

Stick a playing card in the spoke....basically the same thing

I'd like to see them build one that goes about 400 mph and race it around Spa. With driver safety a none issue, it could happen.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

584c21ddfa9db23ad770421aecbec4ed.jpg

just a joke.

I don't see the appeal in watching AI driven cars, it should be the equivalent of playing a video game against the AI or against another human. Especially if it's silent electric cars.

It is when the driver suffers the first ever recorded case of Robotic Road Rage that worries me...

At least it fared better than Siemens' Mustang.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Calm down there bud, we havent even broke the 300 barrier yet

We've broken that barrier, just not in F1 or any race sport.

2 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

And Siemens is not a small company. So it's fun how so many minimize that Robocar like if the autonomous technology was a simple thing. The car is still slow, but at least flawless. Autonomous driving is not a new thing, but it's still in development, so I found this really interesting.

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

We've broken that barrier, just not in F1 or any race sport.

I know we have many years but car designed for racing cant get close.

22 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Man..... That was terrible. My 10th grade class project robot did just as well following a line on the ground (constantly turning left and right)

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Electric motors just do not compare to the wonderful roar of an internal combustion engine.

Also, you need to provide your own opinion/thoughts on the news per the Tech New Guidelines. You also duplicated the last two sentences.

You can always just play a recording of a combustion engine.

Also maybe now we can have a repeat of this competition but actually get teams finishing the race.

4 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Watch any Formula E race and it's just pathetic. It literally looks like the lamest go-karts ever, and sounds like a carnival ride.

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are many internal combustion engines that still wipe the floor - electric cars still have a long way to go. Not to mention the feel is so different. 

On 13/07/2018 at 5:41 PM, grayperview said:

I'd like to see them build one that goes about 400 mph and race it around Spa. With driver safety a none issue, it could happen.

Except it not just the driver that can cause an accident. If a tyre lets go at 300mph, or a wheel, or the aero fails, or whatever, bits of car will be spread over quite a wide area, some of which will contain stewards and spectators. It's why the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans now has a couple of chicanes in it, to keep speeds down to 200mph, and why as a spectator your not allowed to get very close. There was a few very messy incidents there...      

And that is before we get on to the limitation of tyre technology, and the monumental amount of power needed as air resistance increases exponentially with speed. A Chiron requires nearly 1500hp to do 288mph, 200-250hp can get you to 144mph, 72mph 50hp? I'm not sure how much power would be required for 400mph, 4000hp as a stab in the dark for something you could reasonably punt around a track? 400mph on a track I strongly doubt that will ever happen, it will remain the preserve of jet engined cars on salt flats.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, RorzNZ said:

There are many internal combustion engines that still wipe the floor - electric cars still have a long way to go. Not to mention the feel is so different. 

The reality is that ICE technology far outstrips human capability and has since the 80's.

Yea not quite sure of the point of this. I recently read content that had the Forumla 1 drivers saying the main division between teams is the quality of the car. The drivers are about equally matched because lets face it, you dont get to be a formula 1 driver without being the best in the world. So we're gonna remove drivers and then have everyone use the same car.... Is it going to be differentiated based on algorithm or something at least?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount