Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yoyof211

SSD KILLER

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SSD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SDD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

Plenty of ways, but why do you want to know about such?


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

A hammer or drill will do the trick.

Or.... a HAMMER DRILL.


Build Logs: Cotton Candy Threads | ZEN CLARITY + | Just NCASE mITX | Noc Noc | NUC | Storage Log

 

Cotton Candy Threads - CPU AMD Threadripper 2950X | GPU EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti | MOBO Asus ROG Zenith Extreme | MEMORY 128GB (8x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 | STORAGE 3x Samsung 960 Evo SSD + 4x Crucial P1 1TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 7.2k HDDs | PSU Corsair HX1200i w/ Cablemod Pro Extensions | COOLING Cooler Master TR4 ML360 | CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black | LIGHTING 2x Corsair HD120 Fans, 4x Corsair Addressable RGB Strips, 2x Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP
 
ZEN CLARITY + - CPU AMD Ryzen 2700X | GPU Radeon VII | MOBO Crosshair VII Hero | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Pro SSD + 2x SanDisk Ultra II SSDs | PSU Corsair RM1000i | COOLING Corsair H150i Pro | CASE Crystal 570X | LIGHTING 6x Corsair SP120 Fans, Cablemod Addressable RGB Strip, Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP
 
Just NCASE mITX - CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz | GPU EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | MOBO Asus Z370-I Gaming | MEMORY 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Triden-Z RGB 3000 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD + Corsair MX500 1TB M.2 SSD | PSU Corsair SF600 | COOLING Noctua NH-U9S w/ Redux Push/Pull Fans | CASE NCase M1v5 | LIGHTING 2x Cablemod Addressable RGB Strips | PCPP
 
Noc Noc, Who's There? - CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X | GPU ASUS RTX 2080 Ti OC | MOBO ASRock X399M Taichi | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) GSkill Trident-Z 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 970 Evo SSD | PSU Corsair HX1000i w/ Cablemod Pro B&W Kit | COOLING Noctua U9 TR4 w/ 2x Redux 92mm | CASE Corsair 280X White | FANS 6x Noctua 140mm Redux | PCPP
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh, the method of killing an SSD that's most comparable to the USB-killer is to just plug e.g. 230V AC from the wall into the SSD's power-connector. That'll definitely fry it.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

yes but how about when its still in the computer as the usb killer just plug it in and poof! HDD it was not possible but now that we have SDD it should be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

yes but how about when its still in the computer as the usb killer just plug it in and poof! HDD it was not possible but now that we have SDD it should be?

Why do you think it would be any more possible with an SSD than it is with an HDD?


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
46 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

Or.... a HAMMER DRILL.

hammer or drill will not fully destroy it! you can still retrieve data on a SDD!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Why do you think it would be any more possible with an SSD than it is with an HDD?

SDD is in a way like a memory not mechanical like the HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yoyof211 said:

SDD is in a way like a memory not mechanical like the HDD

That's not how it works.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

if you give it a surcharge it will burn the cheeps 

Yes, but to do that you need to open the computer up and physically access the SSD. So again, no.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, but to do that you need to open the computer up and physically access the SSD. So again, no.

so what do you think about instant wipe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

so what do you think about instant wipe?

It's not instant, it takes a couple of minutes, but yes, ATA secure-erase is definitely possible. You'd need administrator-rights, though.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yoyof211 said:

not for a SSD

Why are you under this silly belief that SSD's are somehow impervious to physical damage? If the flash-chips are damaged, then no, you can't read jack shit out of them. Technically, you could read some data out of any surviving chips, but if the controller is destroyed, then you don't have the structures which tell you which blocks are in use and which ones are not and in which order, and it'd take literally years to shift through even a small amount of data and try to parse something together. That's a project that'd cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in the minimum -- not something Average Joe could afford and not something even a nation-state would bother with unless you were an extremely high-value target.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why are you under this silly belief that SSD's are somehow impervious to physical damage? If the flash-chips are damaged, then no, you can't read jack shit out of them. Technically, you could read some data out of any surviving chips, but if the controller is destroyed, then you don't have the structures which tell you which blocks are in use and which ones are not and in which order, and it'd take literally years to shift through even a small amount of data and try to parse something together. That's a project that'd cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in the minimum -- not something Average Joe could afford and not something even a nation-state would bother with unless you were an extremely high-value target.

not tru if i take your drilled SSD and take the remaining unharmed chips and replace in the same order in a identical drive what is on them will still be there! as in a hdd i have done that same thing in replacing in a new drive the disk and it was like i never changed anything. it does not cost that much to do even you can at home!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's not instant, it takes a couple of minutes, but yes, ATA secure-erase is definitely possible. You'd need administrator-rights, though.

does ata work on windows?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×