SSD KILLER

yoyof211
57 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

can we all agree that we'd need lots of well placed holes with a drill, or a well-placed well-forced strike with a sledgehammer ._.

or a blender. or Eyjafjallajökull.

I’ll take the sledgehammer please :) 

Got to get rid of those frustrations somewhere, no? :D 

5 hours ago, yoyof211 said:

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SSD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

a torch.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

salt water

Only if left submerged for an extended period, or while plugged in and powered on.

If you disconnect an SSD, fully submerge it in some salt water, then rinse with fresh water and thoroughly dry it off, it should still function totally fine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Fire. Throw it in a fire....but why? Why are you going to such lengths to destroy as SSD? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Oh for the love of god, that's not how SSDs work. The data isn't stored contiguously on the chips, that's the whole point with SSDs: the data can be in a completely random order spread over all the different chips; like I said, even in the best-case scenario, you'd only get fragments, and if you don't have the SSD-controller's internal structures, there's no way of knowing which blocks are actually in use and which ones aren't.

Just drilling once in a random spot will not destroy the data necessarily. It's still possible to reconstruct some or all of the data, even if the controller is damaged. It would be difficult and expensive, but still possible. It's entirely possible, even with random distribution that the entirety of a sensitive file resides on a single chip, especially if its a small file, like a private RSA key for example.  You would have to make sure to drill every nand chip to be 100% sure.

17 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Just drilling once in a random spot will not destroy the data necessarily. It's still possible to reconstruct some or all of the data, even if the controller is damaged. It would be difficult and expensive, but still possible. It's entirely possible, even with random distribution that the entirety of a sensitive file resides on a single chip, especially if its a small file, like a private RSA key for example.  You would have to make sure to drill every nand chip to be 100% sure.

While this is true, from a practical standpoint, it would eliminate the risk for everything except forensic recovery, and even then, they would only be able to grab small bits of data.

For example, even if an entire file resided on one chip, without the controller mapping, they may not be able to tell what is a file and what isn't. Possible - yes, but not many people are going to pay for the expense of trying to find out.

Either way, the best way to erase an SSD is using ATA Secure Erase, and then physically destroy the chips.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think a good video might be snapping an nvme or ngff ssd in half even leaving the controller in tact and showing anyone attempting to read a single word file with a hidden message on it.  Should settle the question and be interesting, my guess is nope

1 minute ago, John Ellmaker said:

I think a good video might be snapping an nvme or ngff ssd in half even leaving the controller in tact and showing anyone attempting to read a single word file with a hidden message on it.  Should settle the question and be interesting, my guess is nope

That would not work at all in the context you're asking.

By snapping the board in half, you're breaking a bunch of traces. The board would not likely even power on.

IF the board powers on? Sure. But if it doesn't power on, you'd need highly specialized equipment to desolder the chips, then read them with a specialized reader (or you'd have to attempt a board repair).

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That would not work at all in the context you're asking.

By snapping the board in half, you're breaking a bunch of traces. The board would not likely even power on.

IF the board powers on? Sure. But if it doesn't power on, you'd need highly specialized equipment to desolder the chips, then read them with a specialized reader (or you'd have to attempt a board repair).

I think we’re in agreement, so the hammer guys are pretty much correct unless someone can actually demonstrate otherwise

15 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Thermite?

Is there anything you don't set on fire? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

fire?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Myself ideally

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

fire?

Like, you're not wrong

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Myself ideally

i suppose Linus would prefer that. Imagine the health and safety forms he'll have to fill.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Chrome.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Get a sander and a blowtorch, thats how to get rid of it. First you sand it till its dust, then melt it into a block with the blowtorch. Repeat a couple times. Then get out on a boat and sprinkle the dust into the water or get some liquid lead and stick it in the lead so noone will touch it

15 hours ago, yoyof211 said:

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SSD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

high voltage down all the pins should do the trick.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

14 hours ago, yoyof211 said:

not for a SSD

Yes it will...

If you destroy the memory chips, everything on it is lost.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

14 hours ago, yoyof211 said:

hammer or drill will not fully destroy it! you can still retrieve data on a SDD!

You're not using it right then. 

I saw somewhere on LTT's channel where they went to (I think it was) Freegeek and worked for a day, and there was a station where you could destroy hard drives with a machine.

sem-model-0101-sledgehammer-hard-drive-c

Pretty much this ^, but it was operated with the strength of an arm and was open, not in a closed box like that.

hi.

12 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

See the source image

WTF is PC load letter?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.