SSD KILLER

yoyof211

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SSD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

A hammer.

4 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

I have been waiting for any member of linustechtips team to show anything about killing a SDD drive like usb killer but for a SDD now that most drives are SDD there should be a way to fry it or something as instant wipe or destruction! 

Plenty of ways, but why do you want to know about such?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

A hammer or drill will do the trick.

Or.... a HAMMER DRILL.

Tbh, the method of killing an SSD that's most comparable to the USB-killer is to just plug e.g. 230V AC from the wall into the SSD's power-connector. That'll definitely fry it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

yes but how about when its still in the computer as the usb killer just plug it in and poof! HDD it was not possible but now that we have SDD it should be?

2 minutes ago, yoyof211 said:

yes but how about when its still in the computer as the usb killer just plug it in and poof! HDD it was not possible but now that we have SDD it should be?

Why do you think it would be any more possible with an SSD than it is with an HDD?

46 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

Or.... a HAMMER DRILL.

hammer or drill will not fully destroy it! you can still retrieve data on a SDD!

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Why do you think it would be any more possible with an SSD than it is with an HDD?

SDD is in a way like a memory not mechanical like the HDD

1 minute ago, yoyof211 said:

SDD is in a way like a memory not mechanical like the HDD

That's not how it works.

if you give it a surcharge it will burn the cheeps 

Yes, but to do that you need to open the computer up and physically access the SSD. So again, no.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, but to do that you need to open the computer up and physically access the SSD. So again, no.

so what do you think about instant wipe?

1/4" drill bit right through the center works wonders. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

1/4" drill bit right through the center works wonders. 

not for a SSD

so what do you think about instant wipe?

It's not instant, it takes a couple of minutes, but yes, ATA secure-erase is definitely possible. You'd need administrator-rights, though.

1 minute ago, yoyof211 said:

not for a SSD

Why are you under this silly belief that SSD's are somehow impervious to physical damage? If the flash-chips are damaged, then no, you can't read jack shit out of them. Technically, you could read some data out of any surviving chips, but if the controller is destroyed, then you don't have the structures which tell you which blocks are in use and which ones are not and in which order, and it'd take literally years to shift through even a small amount of data and try to parse something together. That's a project that'd cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in the minimum -- not something Average Joe could afford and not something even a nation-state would bother with unless you were an extremely high-value target.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why are you under this silly belief that SSD's are somehow impervious to physical damage? If the flash-chips are damaged, then no, you can't read jack shit out of them. Technically, you could read some data out of any surviving chips, but if the controller is destroyed, then you don't have the structures which tell you which blocks are in use and which ones are not and in which order, and it'd take literally years to shift through even a small amount of data and try to parse something together. That's a project that'd cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in the minimum -- not something Average Joe could afford and not something even a nation-state would bother with unless you were an extremely high-value target.

not tru if i take your drilled SSD and take the remaining unharmed chips and replace in the same order in a identical drive what is on them will still be there! as in a hdd i have done that same thing in replacing in a new drive the disk and it was like i never changed anything. it does not cost that much to do even you can at home!

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's not instant, it takes a couple of minutes, but yes, ATA secure-erase is definitely possible. You'd need administrator-rights, though.

does ata work on windows?

not tru if i take your drilled SSD and take the remaining unharmed chips and replace in the same order in a identical drive what is on them will still be there!

Oh for the love of god, that's not how SSDs work. The data isn't stored contiguously on the chips, that's the whole point with SSDs: the data can be in a completely random order spread over all the different chips; like I said, even in the best-case scenario, you'd only get fragments, and if you don't have the SSD-controller's internal structures, there's no way of knowing which blocks are actually in use and which ones aren't.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

1 hour ago, yoyof211 said:

does ata work on windows?

This tells us all that you have literally no idea what you're talking about. That's okay, since not everyone is an expert.

But you're claiming knowledge that you clearly don't have.

SATA = Serial ATA, for starters. So yes, ATA works on Windows.

Second, ATA "Secure-Erase" is a protocol embedded into modern SSD Architecture. It's a command that when issued, tells the controller to apply a very specific voltage to all SSD Flash cells, causing them to "reset to zero". The entire process takes between 2-5 minutes.

What this does, is effectively wipe and erase the entire SSD, and only takes a couple minutes to do.

So far, no one has ever been able to recover data after a Secure-Erase command was issued and completed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)