A+ Certification. Looking for advice.

Vectraat

So a lot of the computer shops around here require A+ certification.

Does anyone have any good Ebook or Audiobook (study resource) recommendations for A+ material? 

And beyond A+, what else would you recommend someone learn? 

Mike Meyer’s A+ course on Lynda.com is good,though the A+ cert covers a load of obsolete tech so a lot of it you'll never use 

51 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Mike Meyer’s A+ course on Lynda.com is good,though the A+ cert covers a load of obsolete tech so a lot of it you'll never use 

Lol, great. "obsolete tech"
Why do so many computer stores require it then? For customer service positions and computer technicians. Called 3 different stores and they all require it.

You'd think they'd require something better.

What else can I read/study that's actually relevant/newer? 

There also Professor Messer and CBT Nuggets which both have pretty good videos on certifications.

On what else to learn, depends on which area of the IT field you are looking to go into: sys admin, net admin, security auditor, pen tester, etc.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

11 hours ago, Vectraat said:

Why do so many computer stores require it then? For customer service positions and computer technicians. Called 3 different stores and they all require it.

You'd think they'd require something better.

What else can I read/study that's actually relevant/newer? 

Because its a Relic of the times from 10-15 years ago. Certifications are like Candy, you can have dozens of them, but really they only want one or two kinds. A+ is your general CS and technician cert, as well as crapple cert. Just one of those things if you are trying to get into.

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

There also Professor Messer and CBT Nuggets which both have pretty good videos on certifications.

On what else to learn, depends on which area of the IT field you are looking to go into: sys admin, net admin, security auditor, pen tester, etc.

Well, for right now, I'm thinking on getting into CS/sales at a computer store, but I'd probably want to transition into computer repair/system building sooner rather than later. If I don't completely hate my life after dealing with customers and building computers after a few years, I'll definitely want to go farther for more $. 

18 hours ago, Vectraat said:

Why do so many computer stores require it then?

The most intelligent people at the companies you will work for or so they will tell you.... Human Resources

2 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

Thanks for that. Can I download them on my computer and move them to other computers or am I locked into this website to view them?

22 hours ago, Vectraat said:

Thanks for that. Can I download them on my computer and move them to other computers or am I locked into this website to view them?

You enroll for the class and pay the 10 bucks or so and it's kind of annoying if you want to download them because you have to individually download them from the video themselves. When you're watching the video you click the gear Icon on the bottom right of the video and click download lecture. Each one of those classes (220-901 and 220-902) have about 100 videos each. But I like it a lot better than having to use a book. I recommend just sitting down with a cup of coffee and open up notepad on your desktop and watch the videos. 

I used Mike Meyer's book back when it was still the 801 and 802 tests (3 years ago). His book was maybe only 4 years behind the then current tech which imo isn't that big of a deal. It's more about understanding the overall concepts.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

• 1 month later...

Another thought is to enrol at your local community college in their A+ software and hardware course, many of them will offer the chance to take the test at the end of it. Won't teach you everything, but you'll get a foundation that you have to dedicate a few hours to each week, and be done in four months.