PS3 only has 256mb ram?

GeneralOxxy

So I got bored from my pc and PS4 so I went back to the classic --- the PS3 Slim but I just found out that the PS3 Slim only has 256mb of ram which seems SO LITTLE i mean how can it even run BF4?!?! (Battlefield 4)

1 minute ago, GeneralOxxy said:

how can it even run BF4?!?!

Badly.

There's a reason the best platform to play Battlefield on is PC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Badly.

There's a reason the best platform to play Battlefield on is PC.

But my laptop from 2015 with 4gb ram and an i3 is sooooooo bad and the ps3 from 2007 can run it?

1 minute ago, GeneralOxxy said:

But my laptop from 2015 with 4gb ram and an i3 is sooooooo bad and the ps3 from 2007 can run it?

Optimization, probably.

I haven't played BF4 at all, but I remember when it was coming out that PC was the best platform for it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Optimization, probably.

I haven't played BF4 at all, but I remember when it was coming out that PC was the best platform for it.

PC will always be the best platform xD

The PS3 is such a weird system, which is why it took so long for them to make some emulator for it (compared to for example some Nintendo systems).

It has 256MB system memory and 256MB VRAM (GDDR3). I saw a video about the Xbox 360 RROD thing and at one point the video creator talked about the PS3 and its cost. The blu ray drive was like half the system cost, while the CPU was like 250 of the 800 USD launch price and the GPU was like 80 USD. Quite a difference compared to how we PC gamers set up our PC's.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

14 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The PS3 is such a weird system, which is why it took so long for them to make some emulator for it (compared to for example some Nintendo systems).

It has 256MB system memory and 256MB VRAM (GDDR3). I saw a video about the Xbox 360 RROD thing and at one point the video creator talked about the PS3 and its cost. The blu ray drive was like half the system cost, while the CPU was like 250 of the 800 USD launch price and the GPU was like 80 USD. Quite a difference compared to how we PC gamers set up our PC's.

Well not only the PS3 is weird, most systems that aren't current gen (Xbox one and PS4) used hardware that was quite weird compared to the average PC.

I mean the PS2 wasn't exactly average either, it had 32MB of ram... And that thing could handle games like GTA:SA!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well not only the PS3 is weird, most systems that aren't current gen (Xbox one and PS4) used hardware that was quite weird compared to the average PC.

I mean the PS2 wasn't exactly average either, it had 32MB of ram... And that thing could handle games like GTA:SA!

maybe with weird I just meant "it's not similar to PC's like Sony's and Microsoft's current gen" and "not GameCube vs. Wii similar either".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, GeneralOxxy said:

So I got bored from my pc and PS4 so I went back to the classic --- the PS3 Slim but I just found out that the PS3 Slim only has 256mb of ram which seems SO LITTLE i mean how can it even run BF4?!?! (Battlefield 4)

Now you realize why consoles have been laughed at so much :P  The PS3 was released in 2006 at which time a good PC would have had at least 1 GB of RAM, and by 2009 (time of the slim) that would have been up to 2 or 4 for sure (probably 4).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

It's actually fascinating what you can get out of these consoles if you know how to use them. I mean look at the specs of the ps2 and then games like Burnout Revenge or God of War. The PS3 would have been a much larger step if it wasn't for it's weird architecture which was not really suitable for games.

5 hours ago, GeneralOxxy said:

Actually it has 256 main memory and an additional 256MiB VRAM...

Games that are on PC, you should play on PC. They just look awful on PS3. XBox 360 is a bit better but not by much. Remember that it was state of the art in 2005, when it was developed. By 2010 it was totally outdated, like the "Next Gen Consoles" are today.

Anyway, a PS3 is best of the shit ton of exclusives (JRPG), that you should play. And Ni No Kuni really looks pretty good and runs very well...

But there are games that run like Shit. Mugen Souls Z for example or some Multi Plattform games...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Actually it has 256 main memory and an additional 256MiB VRAM...

Games that are on PC, you should play on PC. They just look awful on PS3. XBox 360 is a bit better but not by much. Remember that it was state of the art in 2005, when it was developed. By 2010 it was totally outdated, like the "Next Gen Consoles" are today.

Anyway, a PS3 is best of the shit ton of exclusives (JRPG), that you should play. And Ni No Kuni really looks pretty good and runs very well...

But there are games that run like Shit. Mugen Souls Z for example or some Multi Plattform games...

In the case of PS3, im wondering why they would use such weird hardware (Cell) if it's that bad for making games for it.

Is there any explanation for it?

7 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

In the case of PS3, im wondering why they would use such weird hardware (Cell) if it's that bad for making games for it.

Is there any explanation for it?

The Internet Rumor kitchen says that they wanted to uses only the Cell processor and the SPEs as graphics processors. It could be because they kinda look a bit like Graphics Shaders.

But then decided to put a graphics chip next to it. And since Ati (at the time) already had their hands full with the XBox 360 design, they went to nVidia and put a standard 08/15 G70 Processor on the Board...

At least that is what legends tell. I don't know how true those rumors are.

Its also possible that they had other things in mind...

But we'll probably never know...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"