Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XiiXii808

iPad or Laptop

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm going back to college in september and need a new device for typing documents would an ipad be better for typing out word documents if i buy an attachable keyboard or would a notebook be alot better? Its mostly just for taking notes and powerpoints. I considered getting the iPad 2018 9.7 inch model with the A10 chip. 

It would only make sense if you were gong with a larger iPad Pro so you could get a full size keyboard. But that is just me, I hate being squished when typing documents. 

The benefit with the iPad is you can use any bluetooth keyboard though and another benefit is that the iPad comes with a full suite of Office applications right out of the box where as you would have to pay for MS Office or fine some alternative if you went with a laptop. 

If you go the iPad route, I'd get the $329 iPad and a bluetooth keyboard cover. If you were thinking of going iPad Pro, at that price point you might just want to cough up some more cash and get a laptop. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

What's your budget for it?

The ipad would be a great choice honestly, especially if you get something like the apple pencil to be able to highlight/annotate stuff too. I'd just make sure to get a keyboard that supports the ipad itself, kinda like a laptop, rather than relying on a stand to hold it up, that way you could use it on your lap or other non-flat surfaces too.

At a mere $330 for the iPad 9.7" 32GB, you could get that, a solid keyboard/case, and Apple pencil all for around $500 + tax, or closer to $400 for just the iPad and keyboard/case.

The downside being that you can't run Windows applications on it, but if you just need office, email, a web browser, etc..., it should work great.

† Christian †

Specs:

CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W |

Certifications: Testout PC-Pro, Network-Pro, & Security-Pro; CompTIA A+ 801 & 802; Certiport IC3 GS5; Microsoft Technology Associate: Software Development Fundamentals.

Budget?

Laptop Reviews:

Laptop Specs:

Spoiler

My Laptop - Legion Y530

Intel Core i5 8300H 2.3-4.0GHZ Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHZ RAM SC Samsung PM981 NVMe 256GB SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare) Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB 144Hz LG IPS panel

Brother's Laptop - Aspire 5

Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6-3.4GHZ 4GB+4GB DDR4 2400MHZ RAM WD 1TB HDD+Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB Nvidia MX150 2GB

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Laptop recommender and enthusiast

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

What are Clevo, Quanta and TongFang? (credits to @sicily428)

On 7/11/2018 at 4:17 PM, XiiXii808 said:

I'm going back to college in september and need a new device for typing documents would an ipad be better for typing out word documents if i buy an attachable keyboard or would a notebook be alot better? Its mostly just for taking notes and powerpoints. I considered getting the iPad 2018 9.7 inch model with the A10 chip. 

A course you could get away with a iPad, but technically you could write papers on your phone as well.  If you like that 10" screen the new Surface Go for the $550 version seems like your best bet w/ the $130 keyboard cover.  Regardless if you love Windows or not, the Surface Go is a full on computer, its stand allow it to be used more like a traditional laptop, weighs less than an iPad, USB C port, and has a memory card reader.  

Ideally I would say just get a cheap Thinkpad, something that is durable, beer proof, and has a great keyboard for papers, but yeah depends on your budget 

Dell XPS 9370 - Sliger Cerberus - EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC -Threadripper 2 2950X - Pixio PX347c Prime 34" Monitor - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse - SteelSeries Sensei 310 Gaming Mouse