iPad or Laptop

I'm going back to college in september and need a new device for typing documents would an ipad be better for typing out word documents if i buy an attachable keyboard or would a notebook be alot better? Its mostly just for taking notes and powerpoints. I considered getting the iPad 2018 9.7 inch model with the A10 chip. 

It would only make sense if you were gong with a larger iPad Pro so you could get a full size keyboard. But that is just me, I hate being squished when typing documents. 

The benefit with the iPad is you can use any bluetooth keyboard though and another benefit is that the iPad comes with a full suite of Office applications right out of the box where as you would have to pay for MS Office or fine some alternative if you went with a laptop. 

If you go the iPad route, I'd get the $329 iPad and a bluetooth keyboard cover. If you were thinking of going iPad Pro, at that price point you might just want to cough up some more cash and get a laptop. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

What's your budget for it?

The ipad would be a great choice honestly, especially if you get something like the apple pencil to be able to highlight/annotate stuff too. I'd just make sure to get a keyboard that supports the ipad itself, kinda like a laptop, rather than relying on a stand to hold it up, that way you could use it on your lap or other non-flat surfaces too.

At a mere $330 for the iPad 9.7" 32GB, you could get that, a solid keyboard/case, and Apple pencil all for around $500 + tax, or closer to $400 for just the iPad and keyboard/case.

The downside being that you can't run Windows applications on it, but if you just need office, email, a web browser, etc..., it should work great.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Or wait a bit and see how are the surface go and the new ipad that suppose to come out in Sept

Budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 7/11/2018 at 4:17 PM, XiiXii808 said:

I'm going back to college in september and need a new device for typing documents would an ipad be better for typing out word documents if i buy an attachable keyboard or would a notebook be alot better? Its mostly just for taking notes and powerpoints. I considered getting the iPad 2018 9.7 inch model with the A10 chip. 

A course you could get away with a iPad, but technically you could write papers on your phone as well.  If you like that 10" screen the new Surface Go for the $550 version seems like your best bet w/ the $130 keyboard cover.  Regardless if you love Windows or not, the Surface Go is a full on computer, its stand allow it to be used more like a traditional laptop, weighs less than an iPad, USB C port, and has a memory card reader.  

Ideally I would say just get a cheap Thinkpad, something that is durable, beer proof, and has a great keyboard for papers, but yeah depends on your budget 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"