I have a couple questions. I want a faster and better CPU. I have had some bad FPS with CPU Heavy games. Also, I would like to render videos and animations faster. I was thinking up upgrading to a good Coffee Lake processor. I was thinking of getting an i7 8700 (Costs less an I don't think I want to overclock.) My current CPU is an i5 6500. So here are my questions. How much could I sell my i5 6500 for? and can I upgrade from Sky Lake to Coffee Lake right now without buying any new parts other than the CPU. Current motherboard is MSI B150 Gaming M3. Thanks in advance!

What rendering software do you use?

What is your budget for the upgrade?

Where are you located?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

What rendering software do you use?

What is your budget for the upgrade?

Where are you located?

Rendering Software is Wondershare Filmora.

The budget depends on how much I could sell my Current CPU for. So maybe around $400 - $500 CAD

I am located in Vancouver.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cTV24C
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cTV24C/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($80.50 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $375.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 14:29 EDT-0400

Do a light OC to 3.7ghz. it will be better for rendering, though you will loose out in singlethreaded performance

Your i5 might sell for 150-180 used. Depending on how fast you want it to move and if you want to use ebay etc. Quickly becoming dated and losing value so decide quickly and roll with @GoldenLag's recommendation. Ryzen CPU's are powerhouses at exactly what you're looking to do considering what they cost. Good luck!

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________