FreeNAS: Why are my files taking up so much space???

Go to solution Solved by TechyBen,

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/size-on-disk-zfs-4k-data-is-65-larger-than-data-size.28790/

Might be if the drives were formatted to 4k allocation block size on the disk but ending up using zfs 512k per "block"... but allocating the full 4k (so 512 into 4k is over 7 times the space per block size!) each time.

No idea if that is what happened here though.

3 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

ls -lah output

image.png.8964888a8f4dc84eb8fef3595e9c0485.png

long zfs command output

image.png.b0d80786be4cd76a1032aa638a780db4.png

Ok this is good. This is all correct.

Muffinator/Shared is your dataset and it's referenced size is the same as it's used size. Meaning it has no compress ratio.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

I'm guessing your file path is

Muffinator/Shared/Shared

As ls reported that was a directory.

2 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Ok this is good. This is all correct.

Muffinator/Shared is your dataset and it's referenced size is the same as it's used size. Meaning it has no compress ratio.

zfs list (sorry didn't see that when I did it) and compression is the thing that's broken I think

image.png.09f130899cc663f3bf5095fbf0213e81.png

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Ok, so.. is this wrong?

It says your using 2.86T referenced with 5.16T free.

I'm guessing your file path is

Muffinator/Shared/Shared

As ls reported that was a directory.

that is one of them yes, I am tackling that one at the moment currently as it is the easiest to deal with due to it having something in it but still being somewhat small

And more, several more

Ok, so.. is this wrong?

It says your using 2.86T referenced with 5.16T free.

currently. But I have only 500GB ish of data in there. I admit there might be a slight difference between windows and linux file storage but not over 2TB of one, in windows favour

(it's 500GB ish on my drive in my windows PC, but not on the NAS obviously which is the problem)

And more, several more

getting you a script together..

Try this.. it should sort the output to largest directory/file first for the entire shared folder.. let this run for a while.. scripts are generally slow processing this much data.

du -ha /mnt/Muffinator/Shared | grep -v "/$" | sort -rh | less

Your looking for things out of place in that list.. (space will continue it scrolling)

Files you don't recognize.. backups of files.. duplicates etc.

Also I gotta go.. good luck tracking this down. you can make a new dataset and move the data into it to change ZFS proprieties but if the pool has a bad ashift or wrong block size then you'll need to re-create it. (unlikely but possible)

6 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Try this.. it should sort the output to largest directory/file first for the entire shared folder.. let this run for a while.. scripts are generally slow processing this much data.

du -ha /mnt/Muffinator/Shared | grep -v "/$" | sort -rh | less

Ran that got this output

This is not the entire thing there is a lot of files under 19M but I can't be fucked getting them all nor do I want you to see my entire file tree. That also includes all the large files anyways. whuch as you can see take up about 16Gib, dispite being only 3.57GB of stuff on my computers Hard drive

16G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared                                                                                               
 16G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared                                                                                                      
 12G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes                                                             
 12G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers                                                                        
7.8G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Simulation/pSpice/17.2-2016_S024_OrCAD_Lite_All_Products.zip
7.8G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Simulation/pSpice                                           
7.8G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Simulation                                                  
4.1G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures                                                                                      
4.0G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos                                                                               
3.7G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17                                                                
3.7G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone                                                                        
1.2G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench                                     
1.2G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking                                               
1.1G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers                                     
1.0G    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/WonderShare                         
883M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115          
815M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes                                         
640M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers                                 
628M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0708.MOV                                                   
545M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/AntiVirus-x86-1.3-2345.spk              
521M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/WonderShare/Wondershare Video Conver
ter Ultimate.zip                                                                                                                    
518M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/WonderShare/Wondershare Video Conver
ter Ultimate.exe                                                                                                                    
399M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins  
398M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench                                                                                                                                
377M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCHR15.038.zip                
357M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Pictures                                                                      
342M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource 
330M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0534.MOV                                                   
309M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Pictures/Camera Roll                                                          
289M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/ogl                                                                                                                            
253M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0709.MOV                                                   
236M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/torbrowser-install-7.5.4_en-US.e
xe                                                                                                                                  
222M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Datasheet                                                                                     
217M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Datasheet/Sun Fire X4275                                                                      
214M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers                                                                
191M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats                                              
183M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0526.MOV                                                   
171M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/vlc-3.0.0-win32.exe             
152M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules                                                                                                                             
132M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Datasheet/Sun Fire X4275/820-5830-13.pdf                                                      
121M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0861.MOV                                                   
114M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0963.MOV                                                   
110M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Iphonecopy trans
109M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/cpu                                                                                                                            
108M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/VideoStation-x86-1.6-0859.spk           
107M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/CINEBENCH
 Windows 64 Bit.exe                                                                                                                 
103M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/ogl/refimages                                                                                                                  
 97M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Nokia 3                                                        
 94M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/ogl/tex                                                                                                                        
 85M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/TeamViewer_Setup.exe            
 85M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/ogl/eogl.c4d                                                                                                                   
 83M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
schemes/CB                                                                                                                          
 83M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
schemes                                                                                                                             
 78M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Games/Emmulators/PCX2/pcsx2-1.4.0-setup.exe                 
 78M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Games/Emmulators/PCX2                                       
 78M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Games/Emmulators                                            
 78M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Games                                                       
 78M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
schemes/CB/cb115.psd                                                                                                                
 72M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/PhotoStation-x86-6.3-2971.spk           
 70M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/crystal disk                                 
 61M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Uni                                                                                           
 60M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Uni/TS Year 1                                                                                 
 58M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/cpu/tex                                                                                                                        
 57M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_0835.MOV                                                   
 54M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/AudioStation-x86-5.4-2860.spk           
 54M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/AutoHotkey                          
 52M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Iphonecopy trans/CopyTransDriversInstaller.exe                 
 51M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/plugins/b
ench/cpu/cpu.c4d                                                                                                                    
 50M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Nokia 3/Nokia 3 USB Drivers                                    
 50M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Iphonecopy trans/CopyTransDriversInstallerv2.045.zip           
 48M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Pictures/Saved Pictures                                                       
 47M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Nokia 3/Nokia 3 USB Drivers/Driver/Phone_Nokia_USB_Driver_v1.1.
0.ms_                                                                                                                               
 47M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Nokia 3/Nokia 3 USB Drivers/Driver                             
 47M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Drivers/Nokia 3/Nokia 3 USB Drivers.zip                                
 45M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
libs                                                                                                                                
 44M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/Temp                                                                                 
 42M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Datasheet/Sun Fire X4275/820-5827-13.pdf                                                      
 39M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/CPU temp
 39M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
libs/win64                                                                                                                          
 38M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/CPU-z                                        
 38M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/CyberGhost_6.0.9.3080.exe       
 36M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/MediaServer-x86-1.4-2644.spk            
 36M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1824.JPG                                                   
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/Install_CopyTransControlCenter.e
xe                                                                                                                                  
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/modules  
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1781.JPG                                                   
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1781 (1).JPG                                               
 34M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/xtensions                                                                                                                   
 33M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
libs/win64/cg.dll                                                                                                                   
 32M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Pictures/Saved Pictures/P1000322.jpg                                          
 26M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/newman                                                                                                                      
 24M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/modeling                                                                                                                    
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/HWMonitor                                    
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/CPU temp/1.28                                
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/SumatraPDF-3.1.2-64-install.exe 
 22M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/newman/newman.cdl64                                                                                                         
 22M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/modeling/modeling.cdl64                                                                                                     
icons/interface_icons_2x.tif                                                                                                        
icons                                                                                                                               
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/Spacesniffer                                 
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/crystal disk/CrystalDiskInfo7_0_5.zip        
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
_api                                                                                                                                
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/modules/a
dvanced render                                                                                                                      
 20M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/AutoHotkey/AutoHotkey_1.1.26.00.zip 
 19M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/Setup.X86.en-us_O365ProPlusRetai
l_02973bfd-bafa-4227-a2cf-5d5513c2e35f_TX_DB_b_64_.exe                                                                              
 19M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/onlineupdater                                                                                                               
 19M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/objects
39M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
libs/win64                                                                                                                          
 38M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/CPU-z                                        
 38M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/CyberGhost_6.0.9.3080.exe       
 36M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Synology Programmes/MediaServer-x86-1.4-2644.spk            
 36M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1824.JPG                                                   
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/Install_CopyTransControlCenter.e
xe                                                                                                                                  
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/modules  
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1781.JPG                                                   
 35M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Iphone/23-2-17/IMG_1781 (1).JPG                                               
 34M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/xtensions                                                                                                                   
 33M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
libs/win64/cg.dll                                                                                                                   
 32M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Pictures/photos/Pictures/Saved Pictures/P1000322.jpg                                          
 26M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/newman                                                                                                                      
 24M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
modules/modeling                                                                                                                    
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/HWMonitor                                    
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/CPU temp/1.28                                
 23M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/SumatraPDF-3.1.2-64-install.exe 
modules/newman/newman.cdl64                                                                                                         
modules/modeling/modeling.cdl64                                                                                                     
icons/interface_icons_2x.tif                                                                                                        
icons                                                                                                                               
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/Spacesniffer                                 
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Computer Stats/crystal disk/CrystalDiskInfo7_0_5.zip        
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/resource/
_api                                                                                                                                
 21M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Bench Marking/Cinebench/CINEBENCH R15.038_RC184115/modules/a
dvanced render                                                                                                                      
 20M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/More Complex Installers/AutoHotkey/AutoHotkey_1.1.26.00.zip 
 19M    /mnt/Muffinator/Shared/Shared/Programmes and Drivers/Programmes/Common Programme installers/Setup.X86.en-us_O365ProPlusRetai
l_02973bfd-bafa-4227-a2cf-5d5513c2e35f_TX_DB_b_64_.exe                                                                              
modules/onlineupdater                                                                                                               
modules/objects

And more, several more

2 questions...

#1 When you created the volume what share type did you use?

#2 What does your FreeNAS box say when you look to see how much space used on your volumes?

I remember having a similar issue (size on disk > size) the share type I used was "Windows". Now I use "UNIX" as a share type and lz4 compression for everything and haven't experienced the issue again. Though I don't go by what windows says on FreeNAS managed shares, only for iSCSI shares (which are actually managed by Windows)

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

2 questions...

#1 When you created the volume what share type did you use?

#2 What does your FreeNAS box say when you look to see how much space used on your volumes?

I remember having a similar issue (size on disk > size). I use "UNIX" as a share type and lz4 compression now and haven't experienced the issue again. Though I don't go by what windows says on FreeNAS managed shares, only for iSCSI shares (which are actually managed by Windows)

1) Windows (SMB)

2) image.png.f611a04c77a9201554a9bcaf1a314133.png

And more, several more

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/size-on-disk-zfs-4k-data-is-65-larger-than-data-size.28790/

Might be if the drives were formatted to 4k allocation block size on the disk but ending up using zfs 512k per "block"... but allocating the full 4k (so 512 into 4k is over 7 times the space per block size!) each time.

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Might be if the drives were formatted to 4k allocation block size on the disk but ending up using zfs 512k ber "block"... but allocating the full 4k (so 512 into 4k is over 7 times the space per block size!) each time.

ok for the same file

2K Gzip- 14.2GB

4K - 7.14GB

8K - 7.1GB

8K Gzip- 7.1GB

The file is 3.1GB

And more, several more

My experience ends at Googling. I tried ZFS freenas like 3 or 4 years ago to test on, and forgot everything I did back then xD (but AFAIK never hit that problem even with my noobness... but only because I set everything default, so sounds like a settings incompatibility somewhere).

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

My experience ends at Googling. I tried ZFS freenas like 3 or 4 years ago to test on, and forgot everything I did back then xD (but AFAIK never hit that problem even with my noobness... so sounds like a settings incompatibility somewhere).

just tried 512K finally a nice image

image.png.1e4bdff2ce0fc16ddeb200785951f7d5.png

And more, several more

Yikes.. ok. Yeah thought that might be the case. FreeNAS may have an option to set this when you create the pool. This is going to be a problem..

Some background info:

Spoiler

You.. probably want 4k blocks on this pool but you'll have to remake it.

The cause for this could be a few things.. types of drives used, age of drives etc.

zpool get all | grep ashift

will show you what was set.

Yikes.. ok. Yeah thought that might be the case. FreeNAS may have an option to set this when you create the pool. This is going to be a problem..

Some background info:

Hide contents

You.. probably want 4k blocks on this pool but you'll have to remake it.

The cause for this could be a few things.. types of drives used, age of drives etc.

ok right so how can I get 4K blocks without a shit tonne of space

And more, several more

ok right so how can I get 4K blocks without a shit tonne of space

It's a fairly rare problem, you'll need to figure out why it decided to do that.. unsure about your array but freenas may have an option to force 4k block size on pool creation. (this should be the default?)

When I was talking about filesystem slack.. this is that problem.

Wait... it is 4k and needs to be 512? I think thats right.. you'll need to test what the drives actually are.

It's a fairly rare problem, you'll need to figure out why it decided to do that.. unsure about your array but freenas may have an option to force 4k block size on pool creation. (this should be the default?)

When I was talking about filesystem slack.. this is that problem.

ah right

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

ah right

Wait... it is 4k and needs to be 512? I think thats right.. you'll need to test what the drives actually are.

I can do 512K just fine I would just prefer something smaller, but everything smaller causes issues so I think I will just stick with 512K despite it being sub optimum. 

And more, several more

What does this say.

zpool get all | grep ashift

And this command. (this asks the kernel what it thinks the block size is)

dmesg | grep "byte sectors"

1 minute ago, jde3 said:

And this command.

dmesg | grep "byte sectors"

image.png.9764887356db12b3808c4c923ef1c054.png

And more, several more

image.png.9764887356db12b3808c4c923ef1c054.png

Ok so now you have to figure out if those are real 512k sectors or emulated sectors. (maybe the drive support webpage?)

Are they SSD's? I didn't think you could get a drive that big with 512k sectors. This must be emulated..?