Hello guys ! So in the next couple of weeks I'm going to buy my first body and lens but I still don't know what to buy. I'm looking for one body and one lens at the moment (maybe 2 but only if the budget allows it). I'd love to do portraiture and landscapte photography

My budget is max 1500CHF, I know it's really a lot of money for my first camera but if you can find cheaper why not.
Where I live I can find the Fujfilm X-T2 (Going with the T2 because the budget allows it) with the kit lens or the 35mm f/2 for under 1500CHF but I don't whats better, the 35 for portrait photography but it's not wide enough for landscapes so this is why I think the kit lens can be a good choice, It has a good range, it's just not so great for portraiture. I still could stitch some images taken with the 35 to create a wider photography but I don't know if it's possible, and if it is can you link me a tutorial to how to do it ?

Exepct Fuji there's also Sony that I really like but their bodies are really expensive and the lenses too, if you could list me a body and a lens for Sony that's under 1500 i'll be very happy.

I want to do portraits, landscapes and when I travel maybe shoot what's around me.
So should I go with Fuji or Sony ? If I go with Sony I could still upgrade to a Full Frame later.
And if I go with fuji, the X-T2 with the kit lens or the 35 f/2 ? 

Thanks for you time, Yann.

What about this listing?: https://www.microspot.ch/de/Foto-Videokamera/foto-videokameras/systemkameras--C312000/sony-a6000-ilce-6000-objektiv-16-50-mm-55-210-mm--P0000842148

I think given the lenses, you get quite some value for what you'd pay but I'm not sure if it'd be that good of a "set up" for what you want to do, especially considering Sony's colour science(I do not want to offend Sony by this, it's just what I've heard so far).

Also, I don't know if the lenses would really fit your use cases and there might be bundles/offers out there with a higher price-to-performance ratio...

I just found this one and wanted to show you... :P

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

The xt2 is an amazing camera, just got a used one myself, It is probably the best thing you can get right now if you can afford it. The only caveat being that prices have dropped substantially due to the xt3 being just round the corner. Now my assesment of the xt2 is as follows, it is the perfect camera with 3 minor flaw, which if corrected would poise it to be the last camera you will ever need, with the exception of some very specific and rare scenarios. That is a touchscreen, a larger battery and slightly higher iso performance (although its pretty good already, if you can shoot at 6400 and get used images on a cropped sensor, what more do you need?) 

It is very capable, can even be used in many professional situations, has dual uhs2 sd card slots, with a pretty good buffer, and can shoot at 11fps with a grip, AF system is great, its lightweight and small, but ergonomics are very good still and the fuji lens ecosystem is comprehensive enough and each all lenses are very good and compete with top picks from other brands, at much lower price points. 

I'd go for the 18-55, which is excellent as a kit lens, since it is more versatile as a general purpose and get the 50mm f/2 or 60mm f/2.4 later on if you are doing portraiture. The 56mm f/1.2 is great, but expensive. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I belive the XT2 would make you really happy. See if you can find a used one and you could maybe get two lenses. 

The XT-20 is said to be very good too. Only real option on the Sony would be the A6300 and the 18-105 f/4 lens or two cheaper primes like the samyang 12mm f/2 and the sigma 30mm f/1.4 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

The xt2 is an amazing camera, just got a used one myself, It is probably the best thing you can get right now if you can afford it. The only caveat being that prices have dropped substantially due to the xt3 being just round the corner. Now my assesment of the xt2 is as follows, it is the perfect camera with 3 minor flaw, which if corrected would poise it to be the last camera you will ever need, with the exception of some very specific and rare scenarios. That is a touchscreen, a larger battery and slightly higher iso performance (although its pretty good already, if you can shoot at 6400 and get used images on a cropped sensor, what more do you need?) 

It is very capable, can even be used in many professional situations, has dual uhs2 sd card slots, with a pretty good buffer, and can shoot at 11fps with a grip, AF system is great, its lightweight and small, but ergonomics are very good still and the fuji lens ecosystem is comprehensive enough and each all lenses are very good and compete with top picks from other brands, at much lower price points. 

I'd go for the 18-55, which is excellent as a kit lens, since it is more versatile as a general purpose and get the 50mm f/2 or 60mm f/2.4 later on if you are doing portraiture. The 56mm f/1.2 is great, but expensive. 

But is it risky to go for the X-T2 now or will the X-T3 be that much better ?

1 hour ago, HiImYann said:

But is it risky to go for the X-T2 now or will the X-T3 be that much better ?

I would certainly wait in your position if its something you can do. There's 2 sides to this

1. Wait for the x-t3, it will certainly have at least 2 of the 3 things that I would say would make the xt2 the new 5d (when released in 2005), i.e. the best all round camera. 

2. Just get the x-t2. Well what do you really need of the 3 aspects I've talked about? In reality, iso performance on modern cameras is ridiculously good, especially if you are used to older stuff, battery life isn't that bad if you manage it correctly, for instance I will always have the evf on the sensor and the screen off, or sometimes, even just keep the camera off until I need it, its not so dramatic on the xt2 to be honest, because I can see all my settings while the camera is off and it starts up pretty quickly. And last, I've never had a touchscreen on a camera, I know it'd be nice, but I can live without it, I have all these years. So realistically, the x-t2 is 85% perfect already. 

The thing is though, prices may come down even more if you wait 2 months, used ones will probably go for half the price of discounted new ones...

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

10 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I would certainly wait in your position if its something you can do. There's 2 sides to this

1. Wait for the x-t3, it will certainly have at least 2 of the 3 things that I would say would make the xt2 the new 5d (when released in 2005), i.e. the best all round camera. 

2. Just get the x-t2. Well what do you really need of the 3 aspects I've talked about? In reality, iso performance on modern cameras is ridiculously good, especially if you are used to older stuff, battery life isn't that bad if you manage it correctly, for instance I will always have the evf on the sensor and the screen off, or sometimes, even just keep the camera off until I need it, its not so dramatic on the xt2 to be honest, because I can see all my settings while the camera is off and it starts up pretty quickly. And last, I've never had a touchscreen on a camera, I know it'd be nice, but I can live without it, I have all these years. So realistically, the x-t2 is 85% perfect already. 

The thing is though, prices may come down even more if you wait 2 months, used ones will probably go for half the price of discounted new ones...

Honestly i already have a 200.- discount offered by Digitec, maybe when the T3 will be released the price of the T2 will be a little lower but I don't think the difference is worth the wait.
I can buy the X-T2 body new for 1049 CHF

So now i have a new question, is the wait worth it for the X-T3 ?

19 minutes ago, HiImYann said:

So now i have a new question, is the wait worth it for the X-T3 ?

I outlined that above, the xt2 is 85% of the perfect camera....it lacks a touchscreen better battery life and high iso performance blah blah blah....

5 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I outlined that above, the xt2 is 85% of the perfect camera....it lacks a touchscreen better battery life and high iso performance blah blah blah....

But don't you think fuji can come with a new X-Trans sensor ?

24 minutes ago, HiImYann said:

But don't you think fuji can come with a new X-Trans sensor ?

that's partly how they will increase high iso performance. Now they probably will bump resolution to 26 or 28mp, rumors state over 24 but under 30, but honestly, I don't think that is relevant. 24mp is enough, my 5d only has 22.3, hell a 1dx has less than 20. They can resolve well enough with good glass on them nonetheless. 

If Sony's still in any way interesting to you, I'll throw in the idea of getting a used A7ii or A7rii if you can find one cheap enough. For example, digifuchs.ch has a used a7ii for something over 800CHF (with warranty), which would give you a budget of 700 for Sony glass. Since you mentioned that you'd like to shoot portraits, landscapes and stuff on holidays, I figured the autofocus of the A7 ii will be good enough for you. I just recently tried one out and I felt like it had the capabilities to shoot all things you mentioned :) Pair it with a used Sony 55mm 1.8 for example and you'll have a great combo. As for landscapes with a 55mm, if you have lightroom stitching panoramas is extremely easy, otherwise there's free options as well. A quick search on youtube will give you all the info you need. Not to mention the amazing resolution you'll get from stitching panoramas.

Also look out for deals on anibis.ch and ricardo.ch. I've personally had great experiences on anibis and ricardo has buyer protection.

7 hours ago, historicalpoultry said:

If Sony's still in any way interesting to you, I'll throw in the idea of getting a used A7ii or A7rii if you can find one cheap enough. For example, digifuchs.ch has a used a7ii for something over 800CHF (with warranty), which would give you a budget of 700 for Sony glass. Since you mentioned that you'd like to shoot portraits, landscapes and stuff on holidays, I figured the autofocus of the A7 ii will be good enough for you. I just recently tried one out and I felt like it had the capabilities to shoot all things you mentioned :) Pair it with a used Sony 55mm 1.8 for example and you'll have a great combo. As for landscapes with a 55mm, if you have lightroom stitching panoramas is extremely easy, otherwise there's free options as well. A quick search on youtube will give you all the info you need. Not to mention the amazing resolution you'll get from stitching panoramas.

Also look out for deals on anibis.ch and ricardo.ch. I've personally had great experiences on anibis and ricardo has buyer protection.

Are you sure the A7ii is still a good choice even used today ?

I could pick a 50 1/8, a 85 1/8 and a 50 1/4 with this body, is it worth it ?

And also is it better to go with the X-T2 kit lens or the A7ii 50 1.8 ?

The xt2 is the better camera given the quality to price of the lenses and the build quality of the camera. Go with fuji on this one, I have tried both systems, fuji is by far the superior one overall all things considered? 

48 minutes ago, cc143 said:

The xt2 is the better camera given the quality to price of the lenses and the build quality of the camera. Go with fuji on this one, I have tried both systems, fuji is by far the superior one overall all things considered? 

And last question, should I go with the X-T2 + kit lens or X-T20 + Kit lens + 35 f1.4 (or f2?)

9 hours ago, HiImYann said:

And last question, should I go with the X-T2 + kit lens or X-T20 + Kit lens + 35 f1.4 (or f2?)

The xt20 is basically an xt2 lite. The xt2 has the availability of a battery grip, which is by no means essential, but vastly improves performance, dual memory card slots, it is bigger and thus has better ergonomics, its is actually a fairly comfortable camera to hold, an iso dial, the doors for the sd and battery are separate and that's probably about it. There might be slight changes in AF etc. after recent software updates, and the xt2 now is actually a very capable video camera as well. Also, the xt2 has a joystick in the back, which is very useful, bigger evf... 

The x-t20 has a touchscreen, is smaller and lighter and has a lot of the x-t2's functionality at a lower price.  The tripod thread is in the stupidest place imagineable but other than that, no significant drawbacks I can think of. The x-e3 might also be an option, the only difference other than the body style, is the lack of a tilting screen. 

Is your budget 1500 CHF for the body only? Or is that for body + lens?

Option 1) I wouldn't recommend a Sony a7ii or a7rii unless you're ok with relying primarily on manual focus. If you can swing it, I'd go with the A7iii as it's probably the best all-around camera on the market right now. The only problem is that leaves very little room for lenses, but you could get yourself a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 and a Rokinon 50mm 1.4 for a decent price. After that, save up for a Sony 24-105mm f/4 lens.

Option 2) The Fuji XT-2 is fantastic. I'd recommend buying 3 batteries as well as a USB power bank. You can charge the camera via USB when it's not in use, so that would be a good way to get around the poor battery life issue.

Option 3) Sony A6300 or A6500 would also be worth investigating. 

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy