Fired Guild Wars dev rails against the community (shades of GamerGate)

Humbug
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
21 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

What a bitch.

The only words that could come to mind as well. 

Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this civil, remember the Community Standards.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

It never is. But you have to own it and take responsibility for your actions.

I don't follow. 

3 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

The trouble is that, no matter how well-meaning they may be, it can be pretty irritating when a layperson offers unsolicited, contrary views about some aspect of your field of expertise, as I know from experience.

Yes because there's only one way to do something, right? When you're experienced in doing something a specific way that doesn't mean that other avenues are not available that's a recipe for a lack of growth.

Also in this scenario we are talking about the narrative of a video game (art, something creative in nature that you can mold into just about anything you can think of) that is very different than building something like a bridge where there are specific structural regulations and tolerance that must be adhere'd to.

I imagine it must be still more frustrating when this happens routinely, and relates to broader, problematic gender dynamics. 

The kicker is this situation DOES NOT in any way relate to gender dynamics. In this context that argument does not apply.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

4 hours ago, GilmourD said:

My point is that we criticize people all the time for things out of their control (like being a man, woman, child, black, Asian, short, tall, etc.) instead of what they do and how they are. ALL women get PMS. How they deal with it is the what you criticize, not the fact that they have it.

I read them as just a joke.  If you want to interpret more out of those comments, feel free.  I, personally, don't really care.

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

Well I think this thread has become rather pointless.

The facts are:

• She was out of line
  • She got fired for it
  • She tried to lash out at arena.net, but her own actions undermine any credibility she might have had
  • She will have a hard time finding gainful employment in the future
  • She will soon become a random name no one remembers

Honestly, I am sure she is going to spin this as some gender discrimination or the like, but the truth is the only person that hurt her here... was herself. She was her own worst enemy. The fact she still has not apologized for her actions or took any responsibility in owning up to it.... well lets just say arena.net is much better off with her gone.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Well I think this thread has become rather pointless.

It should be, except that even with the facts laid out for all to see, some people (even on this very thread) are still trying to paint her as the victim of this situation.

21 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

What a bitch.

The only words that could come to mind as well. 

Maybe I'm blind... But where are the original Tweets that started this? It looks like his original tweet has since been deleted, as well as a couple of her immediate responses.

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Maybe I'm blind... But where are the original Tweets that started this? It looks like his original tweet has since been deleted, as well as a couple of her immediate responses.

Maybe she finally understood that she was wrong and now tries to hide some aspects.

When you really start to think this over this is quite stupid topic. There was more to see when that ex-BioWare guy said about TB. This is just person F'ed up during national holiday and the employer couldn't do anything before internet did its thing and next day the person and a friend got fired because they F'ed up and now the person is playing gender-cards to justify the F' up and collect some sympathy points.

10 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Maybe she finally understood that she was wrong and now tries to hide some aspects.

When you really start to think this over this is quite stupid topic. There was more to see when that ex-BioWare guy said about TB. This is just person F'ed up during national holiday and the employer couldn't do anything before internet did its thing and next day the person and a friend got fired because they F'ed up and now the person is playing gender-cards to justify the F' up and collect some sympathy points.

I cannot find the initial posts from either party. So I have a hard time "conforming" to either side because the information isn't freely available anymore.

And I do agree, this is pretty stupid. Social media interactions do have recourse. You MAY not be on the clock, but the way you behave reflects on your company. And it works both ways. The initial statement or the response.

5 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

I don't think that's a complete picture, of course. 

Well she also made some very rude comments about TotalBiscuit when he passed. So this wasn't her first PR "slip up". I can imagine there is probably other stuff as well.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

"Why are these SJWs complaining, clearly there's no problematic sexism in the gaming community."

9_9

? have you seen her reactions at all

Has nothing to do with sexism smh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

-Thread cleaned-

One bad thing from this thread, and it's getting locked.

Keep this civil.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

? have you seen her reactions at all

Has nothing to do with sexism smh.

It doesn't matter what she did, blatantly sexist slurs are not okay.

7 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I cannot find the initial posts from either party. So I have a hard time "conforming" to either side because the information isn't freely available anymore.

And I do agree, this is pretty stupid. Social media interactions do have recourse. You MAY not be on the clock, but the way you behave reflects on your company. And it works both ways. The initial statement or the response.

Nothing is removed or at least I can still find the initial posts. Started at 3rd of July and brownies hit the fan on 4th and they were fired the 5th.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It doesn't matter what she did, blatantly sexist slurs are not okay.

Yes it does, she attacked a guy that wanted to start normal conversation literally. There were no sexist slurs dude.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Some say its about woman trading some "special favours" with gaming journalists....

Given the way the "traditional media" sans Fox has treated the actions of Ali Watkins, clearly Quinn was just ahead of the curve in sleeping with journalists.

Guess, I truly am in the minority here. Yeah, she was rude to the guy, but I don't think she said anything that wild that demanded her to be fired. Gamers all the time pretend to know more than the actual developer, and she checked the dude about it and that should've been that. 

41 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Guess, I truly am in the minority here. Yeah, she was rude to the guy, but I don't think she said anything that wild that demanded her to be fired. Gamers all the time pretend to know more than the actual developer, and she checked the dude about it and that should've been that. 

"Today in being a female game dev: Allow me--a person who does not work with you--explain to you how you do your job."

"like, the next rando asshat who attempts to explain the concept of branching dialogue to me--as if, you know, having worked in game narrative for a fucking DECADE, I have never heard of it--is getting instablocked. PSA."

"Since we've got a lot of hurt manfeels today, lemme make something clear: this is my feed. I'm not on the clock here. I'm not your emotional courtesan just because I'm a dev. Don't expect me to pretend to like you here."

I work at an ISP, if I go onto social media start talking about my work and then attack and belittle one of our customers in the above manner, who was only offering me a polite suggestion, I would get fired too....

Been in a technical job which required customer interaction for many years and I have never spoken to a customer in this manner. And there have been times where I had to stand up strongly to rude, unreasonable customers.. Sometimes Shut them down and tell them they are wrong, I still didn't throw a hissy fit. Even when I am not at work people sometimes bring up issues when they find out my job, if I don't want to deal with it then I just don't... No need to attack them.

Furthermore I don't get to go onto public social media and blog about my work and expct customers to not have their own two cents. If I don't want them then public social media is totally the wrong forum. Expect a Tech savvy game dev to know this...

*Women Developer attempts to produce boundaries between her and fans when she's on a personal account*

*Gets called out for being toxic*

Yeah... and we wonder why us Devs don't like to talk about our games...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

28 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

*Women Developer attempts to produce boundaries between her and fans when she's on a personal account*

Ehhhh........

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not to tell you how to think, but in my eyes, anyone that gets mad or has aggression on the internet is always wrong.

You’re 1: mean and a crude person

2: feeding the trolls

3: a combination of the 2. 

Yeah i get people that troll themselves but the best ones hardly do anything & get the person to feed you through the smallest remarks. 

50 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

That isn't remotely what happened.

Price identified herself as working for Arenanet on her PUBLIC profile on a PUBLIC social media platform and made a PUBLIC thread discussing her work. She was acting as a writer and as an Arenanet employee at that point. Another person came along and very politely gave their own opinion on her PUBLIC posts. Price then went nuts and harassed him, then called customers asshats. This has absolutely nothing to do with her gender, it has to do with her being, to use her own term, an asshat to a customer. You're damn right people are calling her toxic, because she had a toxic attitude and it wasn't the first time either.

Twitter is a public platform. There is no difference between saying something there and shouting it in the middle of a crowded street. If you don't want to interact with your customers on your personal account, make it private. If your account is public and people know you are a developer they are going to want to engage with you, usually because they're fans of or interested in your work and want to get to know the people behind it.

7 minutes ago, Derangel said:

That isn't remotely what happened.

Price identified herself as working for Arenanet on her PUBLIC profile on a PUBLIC social media platform and made a PUBLIC thread discussing her work. She was acting as a writer and as an Arenanet employee at that point. Another person came along and very politely gave their own opinion on her PUBLIC posts. Price then went nuts and harassed him, then called customers asshats. This has absolutely nothing to do with her gender, it has to do with her being, to use her own term, an asshat to a customer. You're damn right people are calling her toxic, because she had a toxic attitude and it wasn't the first time either.

Twitter is a public platform. There is no difference between saying something there and shouting it in the middle of a crowded street. If you don't want to interact with your customers on your personal account, make it private. If your account is public and people know you are a developer they are going to want to engage with you, usually because they're fans of or interested in your work and want to get to know the people behind it.

Sure, Twitter is a public platform. So is going to a coffee shop or a restaurant. Do you think it's perfectly acceptable to bud into someones life with a "well actually" if you happen to overhear them say something about a topic that you have no real experience in without being asked?

In society, that's generally considered a rude thing to do... Though that sense of rudeness seems to go out the window when that person whose conversation that you're budding into happens to be a Woman. And yes, of course it happens to Men, too. But do they get all offended when us Men defend our boundaries on how we engage others who have no business being in the conversation?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Nothing is removed or at least I can still find the initial posts. Started at 3rd of July and brownies hit the fan on 4th and they were fired the 5th.

Thanks! I don't Twitter, so I hadn't been able to find it!